What code reader do i need

cheapbikeguy

I've decided to buy a code reader for my sprinter, so i can recieve and clear my own codes. does anybody know what model i need. i have found an OBD11 not sure if it will work though
Thanx

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I've decided to buy a code reader for my sprinter, so i can recieve and clear my own codes. does anybody know what model i need. i have found an OBD11 not sure if it will work though
Thanx
Do not waste your money on generic readers with extremely limited application on Sprinters. A ScanGaugeII is useful as a auxiliary gauge but fails miserably as a comprehensive Sprinter scan tool.

I realize that is cheap talk from someone like me, with factory diagnostic equipment which can cost north of $5000, but this morning I received a phone call regarding a possible, near future, Doktor A project.

This project could bring VERY affordable DEALER GRADE diagnostics to EVERY SPRINTER GROUP MEMBER.

Please stay tuned- I hope to have an IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT, right after Christmas. Doktor A

Farm Bus

Given the other posts about how few MB dealers there may be, the timing is great.

Next project: cloning Dr. A . You need a Duplicator box like Calvin and Hobbes.

Thanx
I'd think that the Doktor A scanner is worth waiting for unless you like to mess with gadgets like the Scangauge II then you also get a scan tool while you're waiting.

Many auto parts stores will read your codes for free. Just keep in mind that the Sprinter is not totally OBDII compliant. AP/vic

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I'd think that the Doktor A scanner is worth waiting for.

Many auto parts stores will read your codes for free. Just keep in mind that the Sprinter is not totally OBDII compliant. AP/vic
To say the Sprinter is "not totally OBDII compliant", is misleading. Please, understand that the OEM manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on software and are only required by the EPA to share a small percentage of emission related codes.

Generic scan tools will NOT access all Sprinter engine diagnostic codes and certainly few if any of the other 8-10 Sprinter's on board module's codes. And generic tools DO NOT provide complete and useful descriptions in English.

What I envision, is bringing true dealer grade diagnostic capabilities to every group member. And that means more than just EVERY module and code reading-that means true diagnostic system tests, programming of modules, and component actuator menus as well. Maybe even brake fluid flushing! Doktor A

Doktor A,
At one time I felt bad about posting things that may not be completely accurate.:cry: I now reconcile (delude?) myself that many of my comments prompt those who really know what's true to either correct me or enhance things with additional information. As I try to not present myself as an expert, I no longer feel so bad and it kinda gives me a posting free license.:cheers: Thanks for the additional info and clarification.:bow::

Your scan tool project sounds great. Especially given the loss of so many longer term Sprinter dealership commitments given the Chrysler direction. Please keep us posted as to progress.:thumbup: vic

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
This project could bring VERY affordable DEALER GRADE diagnostics to EVERY SPRINTER GROUP MEMBER.
Please stay tuned- I hope to have an IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT, right after Christmas. Doktor A
I don't want to press for details, but I would like to ask for a clarification.

This thread exists in the T1N area.

When you say, "EVERY SPRINTER GROUP MEMBER" did you mean to include NCV3 owners, too?

-Jon

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I don't want to press for details, but I would like to ask for a clarification.

This thread exists in the T1N area.

When you say, "EVERY SPRINTER GROUP MEMBER" did you mean to include NCV3 owners, too?

-Jon
Well, I meant to imply "every Sprinter group member" with a pre-'07 Sprinter. Doktor A

galvinize

For now, the only affordable ($160.) scan tool to use is the ScanGauge II. I can say from experience that it is (at least) capable of turning off the check engine light after the repair was made (though it took two tries).

Other scan tools (Actron, Equus) do not work with the Sprinter, and their Tech Support person verified this.

Whether the ScanGauge can accurately diagnose problems remains to be seen (my mechanic diagnosed a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor on his $20,000 computer... and I opted to replace it myself).

Other scan tools (Actron, Equus) do not work with the Sprinter, and their Tech Support person verified this. ....
This is what Actron sent me.
Dear Customer,

The CP9175 performs a global request for codes. Some diesel vehicles and vehicles over 8500 lbs GVWR are exempt from certain OBD II regulations and may require a tool with Enhanced capabilities. Unfortunately, we do not have Chrysler diesel or Mercedes specific (enhanced) support.

This vehicle is reporting this code as a response to a global request for DTC's. The best way to verify if the vehicle is reporting a true code is to try another tool and compare results or check with the manufacturer.
My Actron may not read as many codes as a Scangauge II, but it has successfully read and reset codes for me.

It read and indicated a O2 sensor out of range code which was later read by a DRBIII as one of two O2 "plausibility" codes. (I should have written down the actual code. I didn't think there'd be two "plausibility").

It has also read glow plug codes which seem to jump to different numbers. When scanned by the DRBIII the same glow plug cylinder numbers came up. I have yet to try and trace down the glow plug problems. Manana.

If the only option one has is to use a OBDII scan tool, in my experience I think it is worth at least trying. It may give you some information and a direction to go for troubleshooting. Then again, it may not.

I agree that buying an Actron unit to use for a Sprinter is probably not the best purchase. AP/vic

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
For now, the only affordable ($160.) scan tool to use is the ScanGauge II.

Whether the ScanGauge can accurately diagnose problems remains to be seen .
There are many faults which will not light the MIL (check engine light) but will still cause a limp home condition. Generic tools such as the ScanGaugeII will not recognize even the few EPA mandated codes unless the MIL is activated.

As I said, The ScanGaugeII is useful as a auxiliary gauge with several useful features but once you have worked with a factory grade Sprinter diagnostic/testing system you will understand the ScanGaugeII has very little value as a Sprinter diagnostic tool.

I will have further information on this developing story very soon. Doktor A

Hoppingmad

I'm not sure which actron I have but it was there top model in 2002?
Have emailed the suckers 3 times about possible upgrade in the software for newer vehicles (hey the ad said it was upgradable), never heard back.
First time I had a 98 ford not start, tried to scan the :yell: and actron said start engine, IF IT STARTED I WOULDN'T HAVE HOOKED IT UP. Was very disappointed it wouldn't pull a code with engine off. Finally traced it down to an injector control (kept swapping parts with neighbors truck)

Maybe I'll look for it, in case anybody wants to check codes on a vehicle that works.

Looking forward to DrA announcement, surprised it won't cover 08+ , they have a whole new set of codes or obd4?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The ScanGaugeII is useful as a auxiliary gauge with several useful features
I fully agree...

I have a ScanGauge I (one)... and if i were to buy another T1N Sprinter, i'd buy a 2nd ScanGauge for it, too.
I have my ScanGauge perched just to the side of the primary instrument hump, so it's easy to drop my eyes to for info.
(I'd love to have a 5th number shown (GPH)... but at the moment it's LOD, RPM, MPH, MPG)

Even if i had a DRB-III, or Andy's not-quite-announced device, i'd still get a ScanGauge for its compact, live display.
(and for the only problems (IAT sensors) i've had, the scanGauge has both shown the code and shown the wacky IAT reading)

But a ScanGauge is -not- a DRB-III, simply better instrumentation than the standard dashboard (and a more accurate speedometer).
--dick

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I will certainly be buying one of Doktor A's code readers as soon as they are available :thumbup:
This project involves something MUCH more sophisticated than a mere code reader.

Right now the marketplace offers essentially worthless code readers on the one hand and at the other end of the scale, the super sophisticated and expensive dealer grade devices, such as the DRBIII.

My hope is to bring VERY affordable, near DRBIII utility, to pre-'07 Sprinter owners. Doktor A

sailquik

Hi Jack Bombay:
LOD is a data stream on the ScanGaugeII that shows the
% of engine LOAD.
LOD is an acronym for LOAD.
It suprises me that MB has never caught on to the need
for a factory %of LOAD readout.
The true functionality of the ScanGauge II is as an onboard
data display so you can tell what your engine is doing.....
how hard it's working... how hot the sensors say it is.....
As Dr. A suggests, it's a very nice auxiliary gauge system,
but it's not sophisticated enough to be a good diagnostic tool.
Yes, it can reset most codes, but the codes you get on the
Scangauge II may differ from the codes Dr. A gets with his
full diagnostic reader.
We spent an afternoon driving around trying to get my
van to "code" with the full diagnostics hooked up, but the
van refused to cooperate. I'll be back up there in the spring
to replace the wiring harness.
The ScanGauge II is an excellent device to teach you how
to drive your Sprinter most efficiently, but it's not a good
diagnostic tool.
The DRB-III Dr. A has would not make a good "auxiliary
gauge system". Too complicated and it's a big heavy
unit... not something you can velcro to your dashboard.

Top Bottom