Resetting ASSYST on 2004 Sprinter

mountainman

So I was following Hkpeirce's files for resetting the ASSYST computer. Couldn't get it to work on my 2004. Anyone know an alternate procedure?

Thanks in advance.

acvr4

I just changed my oil and did it. I went with the directions in the owner's manual (I'm sure are the same) and it did take a few times to get it to set.
As kkanuck1 said just try it a few more time :smilewink:

mountainman

key position 2, press "mi" button twice to indicate the ASSYST mileage.
Turn key off.
Hold "mi" button and turn key to position 2 at same time.

Tried it not less than 50 times over the last two weeks.. it doesn't seem to work on mine.:thinking: :thinking:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
key position 2, press "mi" button twice to indicate the ASSYST mileage.
Turn key off.
Hold "mi" button and turn key to position 2 at same time.
On the last "mi" hold, did you hold it for ~10 secs, waiting for the acoustic signal, before releasing?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I just did this to mine it works, but it cleared in less than 4 secs
Holding it down until the signal cuts in is the key. mileage indicator drops back to zero.
Richard

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
If you run out of patience and later happen to be in the dealers service bay-the assyst can be reset electronically using the dealers diagnostic equipment. Doktor A

Suba

I've tried to reset mine on my 04 but no luck. I get the acoustical signal but the mileage will not reset. I've got -4100 right now. Any idea's why mine won't reset ?

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
In plain English
you do not even need to turn ignition on if the mileage lights are showing.
Step one... Press to trip mileage,OK
Step two...Press Right side button, then at the same time press the left button do not let go of the first button it will clear to zero in less than one to two seconds, showing
Note> My sprinter is RHD, it's possible the sequence is in reverse as to LHD, although I driven both and reset I can't remember if it is set in the opposite direction.
You can't go wrong
Richard

Suba

Richard Your technique doesn't work on my 04. I can get the acoustical signal by using the technique in the manual and described in the thread. When I get the acoustical sound I release the mileage button and turn off the ignition. When I restart I still get a -4200 with two wrench symbols. Anyone know why I can't reset the assyst ?

Last edited:

Suba

I went to my dealership and they reset the assyst. Before I drove off I checked it and noticed the light was off on the lower middle display ( where the mileage readout is ) When I turned the engine off the light would come on. When I started the engine the light would go off. :thinking: I told the service guy and he sent my van back to service. Always make sure there are no screw ups when you get your van back after It's been worked on. Every time i've had my van worked on there has been a screw up. After I had a bad fuel sensor replace I noticed smoke coming out of my engine. I stopped and saw fuel pouring out. I raced back to the dealership. The tech forgot to install the o ring with the sensor. :yell: Another time I had my tranny fluid level checked and when I drove off I smelled transmission fluid. I looked under the hood ( after I stopped : ) and there was no dip stick cap. I had to drive back to the dealership ( again ) and get my cap back. :censored: So always double check before you leave the dealership. You can't count on them to get it right. :bash:

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Courtesy of the Sprinter Owners Manual down loaded from the D-C site HERE Noted by Seek in this thread

When a service has been performed, have the ASSYST maintenance computer reset by an authorized Sprinter
Dealer.
Should your Sprinter for any reason not be serviced by
an authorized Sprinter Dealer, the ASSYST
maintenance computer can, in exceptional
circumstances, be reset as follows:

Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock and
immediately press the button MI (KM) twice.

Within 10 seconds, return the key to position 0 in the
ignition lock.

Press and hold the button MI (KM). Turn the key to
position 2 in the ignition lock. Keep the
button MI (KM) pressed.

The maintenance indicator with the current remaining
time/distance is shown.

After about 10 seconds, an acoustic signal will sound
and the maintenance indicator is displayed with the
new remaining time/distance.
Release the button MI (KM).

NOTE: The ASSYST maintenance computer provides
information on the optimum maintenance requirements.
If maintenance intervals are not observed, resulting
damage will not be covered by Warranty.

The ASSYST maintenance computer is not an engine oil gauge.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
If it does not yet show the wrench indicating an oil change is required, yet I am currntly 10K since my last oil change, and I have a 2000K journey soon, is there anyway to see how many miles left before Assyst will tell me to change the oil?

Thanks for any tips,

Tibor

talkinghorse43

Do the first bolded step in the preceeding msg. Remember though, that the mileage it shows will be low. I always get 15k miles between changes from my ASSYST - many others have reported the same. So, if it shows 1k mikes to go, figure 1.5k.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
If it does not yet show the wrench indicating an oil change is required, yet I am currntly 10K since my last oil change, and I have a 2000K journey soon, is there anyway to see how many miles left before Assyst will tell me to change the oil?

Thanks for any tips,

Tibor
Tibor, it always shows a wrench. it shows two wrenches every other time. Every time you start the truck, look down at it. A number with the wrench above is displayed. That it the Assyst's "opinion" of the number of miles left until you are due for service. My :2cents:....change the oil before the trip.

I changed my oil about 2K ago. I do not have the numbers but for the first time I was well over the 10K interval, and just barely over the Assyst recommended. (showing -200 or something like that) I took an oil sample from this drain and am curious to see what a lab has to say about the interval. Until I get an answer, I'll be doing the 10K changes regardless of the Assyst's reading.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Thanks to both of you...

15 K out of Assyst is wild....

Scott, let me know what happens with the oil sample test. Is it going to Blackstone?

Cheers

Top Bottom