What Factory Options for a new 316 4x4

Cosmic_WA

I have just ordered a new 316 MWB AWD Manual.
I wanted larger tyres (with lower final drive), Rear Bike rack for one rear door, Bull bar with winch, tow bar, over-cab storage but could not get any of these as factory options. Are there options you CAN get that would be recommended for a mobile home conversion with some off-road capability?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I have just ordered a new 316 MWB AWD Manual.
I wanted larger tyres (with lower final drive), Rear Bike rack for one rear door,Custom made from a local supplier Bull bar with winch,Available but warranty void,as to non certification..However ex Germany available with ISO EU certification as to compliance, tow bar,Hayman Recce over-cab storage Get the rep to over ride OZ WIS ordering systems as it can be bought in from Germany.Without checking I don't think the option is available on low mid roof units,only available on hi roof optioned vans but could not get any of these as factory options. Are there options you CAN get that would be recommended for a mobile home conversion with some off-road capability?
Look at the options list from your local rep as some options are not available on different models, the optioning for the the basic z all-wheel drive options are not readily available it's a SV order, and you need MB direct to assist for technical support .
Tyre and rims optioning can only be optioned as an SV order only,not retro fitted from the lot,as the franchisee is struck with them ,too hard to deal with.

By ordering a lower final drive the vehicle would be useless off road, the higher or taller gears give you more torque,however dump the hiway tires and purchase RV off road tires, that are suitable for mud snow and dirt roads, the down side these tires have less traction on the highway under wet conditions. by modifying your vehicle with accessories ,inform your insurance company:professor: as to not doing so can void your insurance claim in the event of an accident.

The winch has a problem in Australasia as to SCR sir bag compliance,the only way around it,is to have a De-activation switch for dis-engaging the air bag when winch is in operation,this can be don via the SAM.can bus electrical system,but doubt if data is available in Australia from the local franchisee MB out let ,not many are trained 'Qualified' to do this.

4x4 vans are basic in OZ start optioning and you'll scare the rep off, as the pricing schedules are running close to eighty plus K onwards,I'd order the rear headlining as a must.
Happy Sprinting Richard

Eric Experience

Cosmic
The van will have very good of road ability standard, I would drive it first before considering any options except for sound proofing and suspension seats which are well worth getting. Eric

Cosmic_WA

Thanks Guys.
Yes, I meant a higher final drive ratio (4.727 versus standard 4.364) to compensate for larger tyres. There are larger tyre and altered final drive ratio options available on the German Sprinter "KastenWagen Konfigurator" web site but my dealer said these are not available in Australia.
I didn't mention I am getting a high roof, tinted cab side and rear door windows, swivel seats and a reversing camera.
"Altered Sprinter" Richard: Not sure what you mean by "SV" order - Special Vehicle? Or by contacting MB direct. Could this result in confusion for the dealer/franchisee?
"Owner": Yes, there is a V6 Auto for an extra $6000-$7000 but I fancied the better fuel economy of the dual turbo 4 cylinder 6 speed manual and enjoy rowing the gears anyway.
Soundproofing and headlining:Because we are getting a camper conversion done the converters will apply soundproofing and roof lining after the wiring and plumbing is done.

Eric Experience

Cosmic.
The 4x4 front diff only comes in one ratio, if you want to change the rear ratio you would have to change the gears in the transfer case to compensate. I can not imagine why you would want to gear it down unless you are planning to do a lot of towing. You can not put wider tyres on the front because of clearance to the struts. As I said before this vehicle has been set up very well as standard. just enjoy it. Eric.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Thanks Guys.
Yes, I meant a higher final drive ratio (4.727 versus standard 4.364) to compensate for larger tyres. There are larger tyre and altered final drive ratio options available on the German Sprinter "KastenWagen Konfigurator" web site but my dealer said these are not available in Australia.
I didn't mention I am getting a high roof, tinted cab side and rear door windows, swivel seats and a reversing camera.
"Altered Sprinter" Richard: Not sure what you mean by "SV" order - Special Vehicle? Or by contacting MB direct. Could this result in confusion for the dealer/franchisee?
"Owner": Yes, there is a V6 Auto for an extra $6000-$7000 but I fancied the better fuel economy of the dual turbo 4 cylinder 6 speed manual and enjoy rowing the gears anyway.
Soundproofing and headlining:Because we are getting a camper conversion done the converters will apply soundproofing and roof lining after the wiring and plumbing is done.
Hi Cosmic your on another planet with Daimler Pacific,the reps are limited, and don't understand the options of what can be done legally in Australia, although they are not listed on your spec sheet as such, but can be ordered SV is special order 'Ex Oberigner'....

The van configuration as stated 4x4 is only available as an all wheel drive Z transfer-case1,2 configuration, unfortunately full time 4x4 is simply not offered in Australia,yet are here!go figure that one out?

Your choice is for OZ is the selectable-4wd drive-line without center or rear axle locks, what you need is the 2.8:1 transfer-case ratio,center diff lock or across-axle diff locks Z option 3 or 4..Yet you are asked to pay 22 thousand dollars GST inclusive for a basic grass hopper if you lived in Victoria you'd get the joke, a Torrak tractor.

Tires and rim width are limited as to availability in Australia when required to replace, there is the option of Super SuSi on the rear ,or as to the 3 series van 235/65R16 6.5 j rim Continental van rubber[its more of a highway tire so call it all seasons if your not in the deep mud or quicksand absolutely useless for 'true-off road work, however the '5 T-SERIES' models have the skinny 205R16s up front and supper single 285/65R16s on the rear,running 8.5Lrims this feature can be selected on a 4 series unit for the van and would be proven to be more efficient if off road,with the basic selectable 4 wheel drive engaged.

Tire pressure lowering you may get away with 16psi on hard pan sand ,but not on a rough dirt to rock road increase to 22 to 40 psi depending on the road surface you may be on.however again as to limited availability in Oz, the transfer -case has a very modest low gear of 142:1 and splits torque 33 percent front:67 percent rear.

The alternative option is bring one in from Austria but you need a broker to do it,as to on a limited one by one case the warranty has to be transferred to Australasia and this usually means Australasian warranty not the EU warranty, there is a cost difference involved.
However the Sprinter will surprise you even with it's limited options they will in many cases out perform the Jap models.

As for bolt on options, get them from the EU, or the UK, they are more reliably priced,than the Franchisee dealerships, no the latter are not ripping you off its HQ Daimler Australia sort of like Microsoft Adobe and i Phone,as it is conceived by default that you can,and will afford it...[the overpricing]as we see fit.
4x4 optioning (Custom) (2).JPG

A004.jpg
Cheers Richard

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
At probably less than 5% of your total outlay, I'd be giving it serious consideration for 2 reasons...

1. The V6/auto combo has been field proven in the sprinter to be very reliable (eg its the only option they got in the states until MY2014). The 4cyl 315/316, quite frankly, isn't.

2. Resale value. Due to the above, the V6 will be the more desirable variant. There are already a couple of threads on here where 315's have chewed out their main bearings after only 150k. Also the auto trans is in keeping with your target demographic for a go-anywhere camper. This is a high tech vehicle, its not a rock crawler so a manual trans isn't really an advantage for the kind of off road work it will really be doing. The auto trans shifts really nicely in these, you should test drive one.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Oops there goes another $7.500 at my calculations and cost just went past 82 thousand buckarros it would take 15 years to recoup the savings and no help in the back blocks of WA at all absolutely ZIP/ Cosmic is n WA think about it .
Use the KISS principle.'Keep it simple'
The revised 316 HP engine is not the fist generation problematic 315 150 HP unit the bugs are gone.
Take note as of yet the seven speed G 42 Tronic transmission is not available in Australia for the 4x4 varinat as to one too many problems with sorting out the engineering plus electronics that is needed to integrate to the older formatted transfer case with the latter seven speed unit.
Hence keep it simple, if you want to avoid the dramas off in the outback where zero communications are available,
Cheers Richard

Reliable

Any news for the 2015 options for AU? I'm looking to order the 316 4x4 in January and would like to get the diff locks, but my dealer told me they aren't available.

Top Bottom