Sprinter Performance Upgrades

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
What performance upgrades are available for a 2009 Freightliner Sprinter? What upgrades have you used and what are the outcomes?
What are the costs and installation issues?

We are just purchasing our second Sprinter (trading the first in, 2008 for a 2009). Its a Class B RV, but used mostly for travel, not camping. We have put 23K miles on in the first 10 months, and wanted some more space so we moved from a PleasureWay Ascent to a Leisure Freedom II Serenity.

Now that we are in the Sprinter that we intend to keep for the long term, we would like to give the turbo-diesel some boost. The one we had, 2008 Dodge Sprinter ran well, had no issues but we would like a bit more kick if its available.

The forums have been a great source of information about all that is Sprinter, so it is clear that we need to come back here and get input from all of you.

Thank you,

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile.

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
The Sprinter Store www.sprinterstore.com has a number of performance upgrades. Koni shocks and heavy duty sway bars might be a good idea on a RV Sprinter. They also have trans coolers and an auxiliary cooling fan. The Power Diesel module they offer also adds a little power and is easy to install. I have this module on my Sprinter and it did add a little more torque without significantly sacrificing fuel economy or future reliability. It does not increase boost pressure, it just increases fuel rail pressure slightly and alters fuel pulse timing.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I have no personal experience with the products or the services offered by http://inmotionusa.com/ - I just know they have some Sprinter specific offerings to boost performance.

I'd classify that as "daring" or for the "thrill seekers only," since - from what I read - you ship some your electronic control module hardware right out of your Sprinter to them for a reprogramming.

I haven't investigated further because I'm a coward.

While I also don't own one of those Power Diesel module things: John Bendit (www.sprinterstore.com) doesn't sell stuff that will kill your Sprinter. He's very thorough in his investigations and only sells things you can trust with your life (if properly installed) and he only installs products that he sells properly and with a fine eye for detail and function.

-Jon

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
What performance upgrades are available for a 2009 Freightliner Sprinter? What upgrades have you used and what are the outcomes?
What are the costs and installation issues?

We are just purchasing our second Sprinter (trading the first in, 2008 for a 2009). Its a Class B RV, but used mostly for travel, not camping. We have put 23K miles on in the first 10 months, and wanted some more space so we moved from a PleasureWay Ascent to a Leisure Freedom II Serenity.

Now that we are in the Sprinter that we intend to keep for the long term, we would like to give the turbo-diesel some boost. The one we had, 2008 Dodge Sprinter ran well, had no issues but we would like a bit more kick if its available.

The forums have been a great source of information about all that is Sprinter, so it is clear that we need to come back here and get input from all of you.

Thank you,

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile.
The best boost you could offer your $15,000+ engine is a high quality fuel additive to offset the abysmal gas on this side of the pond. Average cetane measured in our gas is 44, and our engine are designed/programed for 49/51.

Try: TDR or TDR-WDA(Winter Blend) from Almalgamated Inc. http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-wda.aspx

There is no such thing as a Free Lunch when it comes to 'Chip Programming'.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I emailed them. Do they sell small quantities?

Thanks,

Keith
I purchased a 5gal pail of winter. It was about $105 and will do 400gal of fuel. They did offer a smaller pail or 2.5 for a little more than half the price of the 5gal, but with the price of shipping it made no sense to get it.

The gentleman to speak to is Randy Walker.

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
So, the power diesel module and fuel additives are the mainstay of performance upgrades at this point.

From a full disclosure standpoint, and for those who have never upgraded, I also drive a Cadillac CTS-V, a 400hp, 395 ft lbs torque automobile with a six speed manual that does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. That car has been modded with air intake, exhaust and a power tuned chip. 5 years later, it runs great and just wont quit. It still is hard work to keep the rear wheels from 'hopping' when you get heavy footed. So doing tunning changes is not unusual for me on gas engines. My quandry is that my new 09 Sprinter is only my second diesel and I dont have experience with modficiation, but with 156 horses and the standard torgue a bit more with some additional fuel economy would be a good thing.

I am investigating the power diesel module which as was stated increases fuel pressure without changing anything in the actual electronic tuning of the engine.

Thanks for the past and continuing responses.

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile

kendall69

I Love this option......

Option # 2: For a *limited number of USA models you can now purchase you own hand held programmer that you use

to load your original ECU file onto. (Please note this is a different unit then Option # 1) You then use the supplied

software to upload and email us your original. We then modify your original and send it back for download into the

unit. Or you can choose the "NO PC" method, just mail us back the unit and let us do all the work! You can store up to

3 separate files in the hand held unit. Which allows you to flash your car WITHOUT USING A LAPTOP OR PC any time

you want. Flash back to stock for dealer service etc. Also functions as a scan tool on *most models!

72chevy4x4

what about having an additional eccu with the new program and keeping the OE eccu on hand for swapping back in if needed? is it that 'easy'?

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
My other car is a EVO-8 that makes 460WHP and makes just over 400ft.lbs of torque and will stomp your Cadillac but that's besides the point :smirk:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
My other car is a EVO-8 that makes 460WHP and makes just over 400ft.lbs of torque and will stomp your Cadillac but that's besides the point :smirk:
I suggest an open track day for you gentlemen...
Renntech did my ecu 190 hp 390 ft lbs., mileage increases, 9,400 mile so far trouble free, check my past posts for results, one of my best mods so far.

You are so funny! We need to get some ecuflash gurus in here to start dissecting the Sprinter ecu for us.
This would be THE MAN in regards to selling aftermarket rear diff locker kits for these vans.

Last edited:

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
You are so funny! We need to get some ecuflash gurus in here to start dissecting the Sprinter ecu for us.
This would be THE MAN in regards to selling aftermarket rear diff locker kits for these vans.

McGaha :cheers:

Yes that would be the **** if we could get some of those guys working on the Sprinter ECU....

We'd have:

Raised revlimiters
No speed limiters
Speed Density
Gear & speed dependent boost control
Flame thrower anti-lag
lots of different maps including those stupid ones that just blow soot :rant:
Idle speed control
Control over the fans
All kinds of data logging options

A MAX-LOCK rear differential for a Sprinter??? Do you think there would be any takers?

kendall69

I called them today and it's $700.00 for the kit and $200.00 for each program. You can do program #1 for more city driving, and program #2 for more highway driving. The device hold 4 programs ( your original stored program) plus three more.

The speed limiter is remover for $50.00

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
So the Renntech is the $700 for kit and $200 for each program? ... What is exactly the kit? Is that another chip or the method to reprogram it? ...

As for a night at the track... my CTS-V likes EVO for lunch :tongue: but I am sure your is a nice car there Gears :thumbup:

Back to the Sprinter... I looked at Renntech and of course no specs or install info, just call 'em. Gary 32, how much trouble was the install? How do you like the extra power? What kind of improved mileage did you get?

Thanks again to all for the inputs... we might just get some performance freaks for Sprinters on here ..... :clapping:

LivingtheDream
Turn the Key and Smile
2009 3500 Sprinter Leisure Freedom II

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Guys : be careful with any modifacation to your fuel system and its programs. Why ? more fuel pressure = more fuel into the cylinder than the vehicle was designed to contend with, in turn causing a chain of ill effects and costly repairs. Do you think a little more power is worth a blown transmission?, voided warranty, even more soot build up, and head aches. The NCV3 3.0L engine is in no means a stinky old diesel, but a very presice and expensive technological beast. So all I ask of you is to think long and hard before messing with programming and fuel pressures, but if you decide to go that route, and something bad does happen DO NOT BLAME THE VEHICLE, for ill effects of a tuner program.

Carl

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Sprint guy is 100% right, your dime.

If you are determined to take these risks make an educated choice. You are asking more from every component. We have very few real life extended results posted. Someone will have a bad experience with tuning products, (possibly me), if you have one share it, others will benefit.

Livingthedream I posted my results here:
Engine Performance Upgrades (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
Go to NCV 3 talk and find this thread, also a search will uncover more material.
Also try the tdi club website under engine performance upgrades. Performance upgrades for Sprinters are more common in Europe. Make sure the product you buy has fuel maps adjusted for your location.
I recommend lots of careful thought...

ps, I want in on the track day, street legal 1974 BMW 2002 w/13b rotary K04, 1000cc inj, motec controlled

bikergar

I know age is creeping up on me when I have to Google CTS-V and think that EVO is Harley's replacement for the Shovelhead...post AMF.:shhh: :wtf:

Having said that I am not a prude when it comes performance. I have built a couple fast cars (pre "chip" days) and I have bought a couple of fast cars and currently am in the market for one.

This is not meant to slam anyone, just to provide some balance to readers considering a Sprinter who might stumble on to this thread. I speak only of the V-6 for I know nothing of the I-5.:idunno:

I live on top of the Cumberland Plateau in TN. For those that have traveled I-40 you are familiar with our 5% grades up and down, not the steepest, but still a pretty good climb. At GVW (tall 2500; see sig) I can top the hill at 83 mph (that's on the limiter). With 1500 lbs in the back I have no trouble merging out of acceleration lanes. Yes I'm at WOT and the NAG is shifting at 3800 rpm, but I pose no threat to slowing the traffic I'm merging with. For the normal non-performance driver this engine more than likely will provide all the power you will ever need. I don't tow so the issue of having an additional 5000 lbs behind me is something I don't have to deal with. At GCVW I think accelerating on inclines and merging at highway speeds would be "sporty", or challenging if you prefer, but as Carl indicated if you build additional power into it and shift at WOT at these weights your going to have drive train issues. (It's all about mass) :2cents:

It sounds like you guys doing this know what you need and are smart enough to know how to drive them. To the rest this engine will probably perform quite adequately. :smilewink:

gary

Top Bottom