inverter size and noise

starfighter

in our 2015 Agile: The inverter sometimes makes a louder than usual fan noise.
Is this normal ??
Also Roadtrek info says we have a 2500 Watt inverter/charger BUT the inverter manufacturer says they do not make a 25oo watt inverter.
Neither will respond to the loud noise issue.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Unfortunately the inverter used by Roadtrek in their recent models are very noisy. I don't think there is a solution other than replacing it with a better quality inverter that makes less noise. From the information I've seen floating around Roadtrek uses a custom inverter that is not part of the manufacturers normal product line.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
in our 2015 Agile: The inverter sometimes makes a louder than usual fan noise.
Is this normal ??
Also Roadtrek info says we have a 2500 Watt inverter/charger BUT the inverter manufacturer says they do not make a 25oo watt inverter.
Neither will respond to the loud noise issue.
The cooling fans on some inverters increase speed, and therefore make more noise, when the inverter temperature/load increases.

Does the "louder than usual fan noise" happen when the inverter has a higher than 'usual' load?

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Our 2015 Agile probably has the same inverter.

Although some of the RT literature says "2500 watts," I found it's actually a 3KW unit made in China. The manual that came with ours was for a completely different (I'm guessing the "standard") inverter; I had to go online to find manuals for both the inverter as well as the solar controller. I guess they're both new equipment for RT. Our Agile is now in storage, unfortunately, so I can't get at the manuals. I also found it interesting that I was told it was 2500 watts, but the model number on the unit indicates 3KW.

Can't say I noticed any extra noise during our cross-country trip last summer; however, it is true, as bcislander pointed out, that many will increase fan speed during heavier loads. FWIW, we also have 300W of solar panels on the roof and the extra under-hood alternator.

starfighter

Although neither Tripp-Lite nor Roadtrek were able to help me, I did find a tech. familiar with the Tripp-Lite inverter/chargers.
Since they are sensitive to heat, and heat up quite rapidly, the fan speed may suddenly increase if temp. is too high.
He stated that it was important to keep a clear area around the inverter to aid in air movement.
Thanx to Lake region RV for hunting down an answer for me.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Although neither Tripp-Lite nor Roadtrek were able to help me, I did find a tech. familiar with the Tripp-Lite inverter/chargers.
Since they are sensitive to heat, and heat up quite rapidly, the fan speed may suddenly increase if temp. is too high.
He stated that it was important to keep a clear area around the inverter to aid in air movement.
Thanx to Lake region RV for hunting down an answer for me.
Do you have a Tripp-Lite inverter? ... Or a knockoff made in China?

Google "power star lw manual" to get a manual for the inverters Roadtrek is typically using these days...

The AIMS Global LF seems to be same inverter and has a better manual...

starfighter

Do you have a Tripp-Lite inverter? ... Or a knockoff made in China?
Mine says "sine wave" on top and came with a Tripp-Lite installation manual/setup manual,
but, in truth, I'll have to squeeze under the sofa and make sure it's Tripp-Lite..................

Last edited:
Roadtrek typically provides a stack of manuals that covers the standard items but recently has not been providing manuals for the newer items. If you had a Tripp-Lite in a Sprinter it was typically not a pure sine wave and it was located under the driver's seat. If yours is in the back it is likely a Power Star. Download a Power Star manual and see if yours looks like one.

And, if you want to connect with a large group of Roadtrek owners join the Roadtrek Owners Group on Facebook where you can get lots of good info on your van.

starfighter

Roadtrek typically provides a stack of manuals that covers the standard items but recently has not been providing manuals for the newer items. If you had a Tripp-Lite in a Sprinter it was typically not a pure sine wave and it was located under the driver's seat. If yours is in the back it is likely a Power Star. Download a Power Star manual and see if yours looks like one.
well......yes, mine looks like the black inverter on the cover of the power star manual.
But where the photo shows the "power star" logo, mine has a "Roadtrek" sticker over it.
I just assumed since I got a Tripp-Lite manual with it, it was a Tripp-Lite.
IT is located under the sofa on the passanger side and access is thru the rear doors.....
although "access" means "if you remove the sofa...or ????"

starfighter

Although the inverter is not very "viewable" being placed under the sofa, after much squeezing, squinting and comparing, I believe I have a Power star inverter.
I did send my apology to Tripp-Lite as I was pretty hard on them for not responding without model/serial number.

kdcnett

i have a 2012 roadtrek inverter switch
alittle off the subject

just purchased this van
when i turn on the battery switch then the inverter switch everything that should work works
but then the tv and and outlet that should work loose power
this is with shore connection and or without
help, thanks. kim

Top Bottom