Other Links of interest to Roadtrek Enthusiasts

Zach Woods

This post / thread is here for folks to post less important but still very interesting (ie worth holding onto!) Roadtrek related Links.

Questions, general discussion, etc. would probably best be posted to their own threads.

Last edited:

tnardyh

I am a non Sprinter RV owner at this time. I am optimistic that I may have one in retirement; thus the interest. Are there people out there towing with these things? I would like to consider a small car as a toad; even as small as a Smart car.
This is my first post, so bear with me. I am looking forward to all of the info......tnardyh

KL2BE

I am a non Sprinter RV owner at this time. I am optimistic that I may have one in retirement; thus the interest. Are there people out there towing with these things? I would like to consider a small car as a toad; even as small as a Smart car.
This is my first post, so bear with me. I am looking forward to all of the info......tnardyh
First, you will note that there is not much traffic in this section; last post a couple years ago. You might get more response in a more general category. Seems most the RV traffic in this group of categories is under "Airstream" or "Leisure Travel Vans". That's probably only because some of the more active forum contributers have those brands.
I think most agree that there is little overall quality difference in the Canadian RV brands (Leisure Travel, Pleasureway, Road Trek and Great West) and Airstream; and that the Gulfstream Vista Cruiser is a good value at a step down in materials and in cost.
You may get more response on the towing issue from the commercial Sprinter operators; they likely do a lot more hauling than Sprinter RVers.
Certainly the Sprinter is rated to tow a load heavier than many cars. But, there have been transmission issues in the T1N and towing cannot but exacerbate stress on the tranny
If I were to tow an auxiliary with My LTV Free Spirit it would be my Mazda MX5 2-seat roadster (2,400 lb.); but I hardly see the need since the Sprinter gets the same milage as the roadster. And, while it's not as nimble as the Mazda (nothing is) I have driven the Sprinter in big cities (Denver, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle) and parallel parked it in one swipe. A Smart Car would be an easy tow but, in my opinion, there are a plethora of better two seaters (the Sprinter is the only MB product I would own).
Check out the discussion on "A Class B as a primary vehicle" on the RV forum; most the responses are from Sprinter owners.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21652849.cfm
A lot of Class "A" RVers pull cars because their motorhomes get 6-8 MPG and cannot be driven downtown. With a Sprinter getting better milage than most cars and being designed as an urban delivery van, pulling a "dinghy" seems odd (not that there is not room for differant strokes).

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Hi tnardyh,

Welcome to the forum. We generally agree with KL2BE about the quality of the RVs. Yet, in our opinion, the Airstream has serious flaws in their floor plans for the full-sized Sprinters.

As for the Sprinter trannies, there have been the "rumblestrip" noises but not really any flaws of the transmission. I'ts an excellent and very clever and robust transmission. Check this series of posts about the transmission.

As for towing a toad: why? When we camp we only hook up to the electricity (if it's available) and we level. If we want to go out to dinner or see a sight or two, we just go. A toad would be a great hindrance to enjoying the sprinter.

We have one forum member who camps at Quartzite for long periods and has a toad to run out for supplies.

Top Bottom