Bad wastegate actuator?

GlassAct

Hello, i have been lurking around here for a while but figured i would run my problem by you guys to see what you think. I bought an 04 sprinter recently 327,000 miles on it. When i got it it wouldnt run over about 35 mph. The company i bought it from sent it to a repair shop and they diagnosed it as needing a turbo. I put an egr valve on it and it helped, but it still isnt right. Now she runs great but it looks as if the wastegate is being held closed. She builds boost like crazy and will set a p2359 boost too high code and goes into limp mode. If i clear the code it may run great for a few hours or a couple days and then it will set the code again and go into limp mode. I have watched the wastegate actuator and have never seen it move at idle or while revving the engine. I removed the wastegate linkage and the wastegate lever moves very freely. The actuator rod will move very slightly and doesnt seem to be seized up either. It looks like the only way to get a wastegate actuator is to buy a new turbo! Just trying to make sure this is what it is before i pull the trigger on a new turbo. All replies are greatly appreciated!

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Hello, i have been lurking around here for a while but figured i would run my problem by you guys to see what you think. I bought an 04 sprinter recently 327,000 miles on it. When i got it it wouldnt run over about 35 mph. The company i bought it from sent it to a repair shop and they diagnosed it as needing a turbo. I put an egr valve on it and it helped, but it still isnt right. Now she runs great but it looks as if the wastegate is being held closed. She builds boost like crazy and will set a p2359 boost too high code and goes into limp mode. If i clear the code it may run great for a few hours or a couple days and then it will set the code again and go into limp mode. I have watched the wastegate actuator and have never seen it move at idle or while revving the engine. I removed the wastegate linkage and the wastegate lever moves very freely. The actuator rod will move very slightly and doesnt seem to be seized up either. It looks like the only way to get a wastegate actuator is to buy a new turbo! Just trying to make sure this is what it is before i pull the trigger on a new turbo. All replies are greatly appreciated!
Give me a call on my Sprinter Hot Line. I can help owners with any 647 ('04-'06) turbo issues.

412-366-6165. Doktor A

Top Bottom