Front Speakers up-Grade

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Tired of the poor quality sound on your Sprinters front speakers?
You turn on the Radio and pump up the volume .
Half way through the sequence the sound distorts
Too much base! Not enough treble?
Can't find a speaker that fits into that tight little corner?
Mercedes Viana upgrade Standard for this model.
Is it a Mercedes Speaker! NO?

Blaupunkt from your local audio shop

2x60 watt
4 ohm
2 wedge Coaxial
2x 100 mm RK-104 leads

Less than US $60.00 when promotion sales are on the GO
PUMP UP THE SOUND AND listen to the sounds.

YouTube - Check the sound . Blaupunkt Advertising
13ca_1.JPG
Rabbits and Bears are an optional extra
Richard

Attachments

KenB

please help me to understand how you got the leetul dash speeekurs outen zee holes mitz out damaging them...

I have been into these positions back when the Sprinter was new whilst chasing out rattles... it was hobby of mine at the time... I have given up on this at the time being as it is too frustrating as hobbies go... kind of like trying to discover cold fusion or top quarks. So I have seen the speakers and they seem to have nothing holding them in place. do you just pry them out?

How to extract the dash speakers without damaging them?

I find the prospect of just setting new ones in place without anchoring them to be counter productive to trying to get Bass out of them (or even deep (oxymoronic) mid-bass).

In my first adult hobby not involving beer, rubber balls, or college pranks I was a speaker builder... as such, i could get a bit of bass out of a 4" nominal speaker driver in a very special box in a VERY small room. Sprinters are NOT small rooms and these drivers are not in special boxes, nor are these little drivers the right kind to try for bass. Even the Bose wave-ray-dee-oh only gets good amounts of mid-bass (masquerading as bass), not deep bass.

thanks,
KenB:thinking:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
How to extract the dash speakers without damaging them?
They're held on to the dash by way of metal spring clips. I don't remember how many. Maybe two spring clips?

I can pry them off with my little fingers. You can maybe try a plastic screwdriver.

Seek

KenB

That sounds like the grills... metal clips held in place

the speakers use hidden clips? none are obvious on the speakers... underneath then?

KenB

IvanC

So what is the best way to remove the existing speakers from the front? Can you just pop the grilles and pull up on the speakers?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
So what is the best way to remove the existing speakers from the front? Can you just pop the grilles and pull up on the speakers?
You have to pop-off the A-pillar plastics first. They block part of the grilles.

Then you can pop the grilles and pull up the speakers.

mbcruiser

05 Sprinter/06 MB Cruiser
To add to my $.02....

You just grab them in the middle (about half way up the A pillar) and tug firmly on them. It's not easy, takes quite a bit of force, but they do just 'pop" off. They snap back on the same way!

I installed a pair of 4" Blaupunkt PCxb402 speakers (less than $30 for the pair from Crutchfield) - they do make a difference. The dash speaker replacement took 10 minutes per side......
3 of the 4 metal tabs of the PCxb402's did require trimming (with a pair of small tinsnips) to make them fit properly, but no problem doing it. Each speaker fit perfectly in the hole & the 4th tab slipped under some of the plastic dash trim. Even the wiring tabs were foolproof replacements. The speaker grill (cover) holds them in tight without any screws or clips. They don't rattle or vibrate at all.

sikwan's link @ (https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320&highlight=speakers) says it all with great pics.

topless

Wichita, KS
I bought front speakers first and still wasn't satisfied with the sound. So, I replaced the Becker head unit, now I can hear and plug my XM directly into the radio, no more FM modulator.
For an expensive truck, the radio and speakers belonged in a Yugo.

glasseye

The search for a replacement speaker is taking me a while, even with the Internets. :rolleyes: Multiple, conflicting specs, even on the same website.

There are a bunch of 4" speakers available, ranging in price from $15 to $500 a pair.:cry: Something around the $100 mark would suit me, but it's sure hard to find what fits and what doesn't.

One critical dimension seems to control whether or not the replacement speakers will fit: mounting depth. Anyone know how deep the stock speakers are? Or even better, how big can you go in this dimension?

Thanks again.

Peter

spagthorpe

You can go pretty deep with them. I put a set of JBL GTO428 speakers in mine. They are 2-3/8" overall, surface mount depth of 2", which was larger than the stock speakers. I think they were around $100.

I'm driving them with an amp. I don't think you'd get much out of them if using the stock stereo.

To be honest, while they sound better, all 4" speakers have no bass, and it sounds like half the music is missing.

312 diesel (closed)

They're a pretty standard German car 10cm speaker. I replaced mine with Alpine speakers. I think they're listed for older VW Golfs (oh the shame of having something intended for a VW).

surlyoldbill

Here's a pic of the dash speaker (this one was blown/ripped). The stock ones use mounting clips instead of screws, and mine has another wiring harness attached, I think I have some sort of wiring for hands-free phone, because there's a mic looking thing mounted on the A-pillar right in front of my face. Never used it nor hooked it up, I have an aftermarket radio/CD/USB player. Sold the stock CD player on Ebay when I first got the van, because it sucked a lot.

Attachments

Last edited:
Boy -- any way you slice it those OEM Becker speakers have to be the worst things MB has installed in a vehicle since WWII!! I replaced mine with some Memphis acustics ......and six other speakers....good sound is important!!

kmessinger

Tired of the poor quality sound on your Sprinters front speakers?
Blaupunkt from your local audio shop

2x60 watt
4 ohm
2 wedge Coaxial
2x 100 mm RK-104 leads

Less than US $60.00 when promotion sales are on the GO
PUMP UP THE SOUND AND listen to the sounds.

Will these speakers work on a NCV3? Do you have a model number?

Regards,

Keith

Top Bottom