RoadTrek Sprinter won't start... dead starter, low fuel, battery... any ideas?

joechaps

Hello -

I was hoping someone here could shed some light on a problem I'm having. I've got a 2009 model year (2008 chassis) Dodge Sprinter 2500 RoadTrek Adventurous RS conversion camper with 50k miles which won't start.

When I turn the key, all of the dash warning lights light up briefly as usual, and then turn go off - except for the low fuel warning and check engine lights.

When trying to turn it over, I hear what I believe is the starter clicking, but nothing from the engine. No cranking at all.

The headlights, radio, etc. all work.

Tried jumpstarting - no luck.

Tested the main battery and aux. batteries, all seem OK.

Used a reader to read the engine fault codes - nothing showed up.

A few things worth noting:

1. On the last trip before just before the problem began, I was running low on fuel and the warning light came on. I drove about 15 miles and then put in 6 gallons (I was in a hurry, couldn't fill up) at the nearest station. However, when I started it back up, the fuel warning light stayed on, and the gauge didn't show that any fuel had been put in. Normally, it would show that I had at least 1/3 tank.

2. I drove 10 miles home and shut off vehicle. A few minutes later, I went back out to move it, and it wouldn't start.

3. The day before this happened, I topped off the two 6v aux. batteries with distilled water, and brushed off some corrosion from the battery posts.

I'm thinking perhaps:

1. I used much of the reserve fuel, and the sensors seem to "think" the vehicle is out of fuel, thereby preventing the starter from firing?

2. The aux. batteries could be causing a drain on the main starter battery? (We've gotten 7 seasons out of the original batteries, which seems to be on the high end of normal.)

3. The starter is fried? (Tried tapping on it, no luck.)

4. Starter relay?

I'm banging my head here... :thinking:
And I'd rather not spend half of my retirement savings on a trip to the nearest Sprinter dealer (an hour away).

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
-joe

Last edited:

showkey

Could be many things as you mentioned, fuse # 23 under seat fuse box blown ? Should be a 25 not 20 amp........also..........Battery Y cable is a known issue that can cause all sorts of low voltage problems, from no start to Warning lights etcetera.

In a nut shell the battery cables, connectors, crimps and in line fuse have high resistance or poor connections caused by corroision.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36176

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13606

Last edited:

Top Bottom