RS-Adventurous and Interstate: tow and sleeping capacity

IndyTim

Hi folks,

I'm considering an RV to serve as our weekend getaway/tow vehicle. My wife does horses, I do racing karts, and we're in need of something with a tow capacity of 5500-6000 lbs.

In addition to the tow capacity I'm looking for something that offers sleeping accommodations for 2-3 guys on a race weekend.

I'm fascinated by the Sprinter RVs, especially the Airstream Interstate and the Roadtrek RS Adventurous since they have the highest tow ratings I've seen, but I'm confused about the Roadtrek's numbers.

The 2012 Roadtrek RS literature (http://www.roadtrek.com/_images/brochures/2012_Roadtrek_Brochure.pdf) claims a 7000-lb tow capacity.

I was at my dealer yesterday, and in addition to a new Interstate they had someone's RS-Adventure parked there for service (in Moss Green). I got a good look at it, really liked it. However, the hitch label says 5000lbs max.

Was it possibly an older model? Can someone confirm that both the new Interstates and RS-Adventures have a 6500-lb+ tow capacity? (Subject to total vehicle/trailer loaded weight, obviously.)

Also, I like the Interstate but it's limited to two people/one bed. Is anyone aware of any options for one or two additional twin-sized beds in an Interstate?

On the RS-Adventure, can anyone share their experience with the front passenger-side, folding mattress on top of the captain's chairs? Is this really workable?

Thanks in advance for letting me ask some questions.

Tim

Boater

Hi folks,

I'm considering an RV to serve as our weekend getaway/tow vehicle. My wife does horses, I do racing karts, and we're in need of something with a tow capacity of 5500-6000 lbs.

In addition to the tow capacity I'm looking for something that offers sleeping accommodations for 2-3 guys on a race weekend.

I'm fascinated by the Sprinter RVs, especially the Airstream Interstate and the Roadtrek RS Adventurous since they have the highest tow ratings I've seen, but I'm confused about the Roadtrek's numbers.

The 2012 Roadtrek RS literature (http://www.roadtrek.com/_images/brochures/2012_Roadtrek_Brochure.pdf) claims a 7000-lb tow capacity.

I was at my dealer yesterday, and in addition to a new Interstate they had someone's RS-Adventure parked there for service (in Moss Green). I got a good look at it, really liked it. However, the hitch label says 5000lbs max.

Was it possibly an older model? Can someone confirm that both the new Interstates and RS-Adventures have a 6500-lb+ tow capacity? (Subject to total vehicle/trailer loaded weight, obviously.)

Also, I like the Interstate but it's limited to two people/one bed. Is anyone aware of any options for one or two additional twin-sized beds in an Interstate?

On the RS-Adventure, can anyone share their experience with the front passenger-side, folding mattress on top of the captain's chairs? Is this really workable?

Thanks in advance for letting me ask some questions.

Tim
Page 29, note 4 is probably important.

Also looking at the UK sprinter brochure It looks as though the standard tow capacity is still 2 tonnes (~4000lb?) but can be increased to 3.5t (~7000lb?) as an optional extra (I guess it needs different suspension, probably a different license category in the UK too).

I think the answer is not what you are looking for, which is yes they can supply you a version that can tow up to 6500lbs but you have to make sure you take less than 500lb of passengers, water, propane, clothing, food, beer, etc. in the van.

I suspect the one you saw with a 5000lb sticker on the tow bar either wasn't adapted to the heavier tow rating, or had a weaker tow bar fitted for some reason, or had 2000lb of optional extras fitted in the factory.....

How many karts are you carrying and how heavy are they?
This thread might have some inspiration for a different way of doing things if you could get one of the karts inside to reduce the trailer weight, unless the horsebox is the heavier trailer? (I know very little about horses!) It would mean buying a custom rather than a production line version, there may be benefits and there may be niggles...

Also for the racing don't forget a Fiamma (or similar) awning and privacy room are essential (well mine was race truck and has one and I'm told they all use them as a pit area) which some of you could sleep in if necessary.

Any help?

Jim

Top Bottom