just bought this, what engine mods can i do???

Boater

I'm going to watch this with interest, because I have the same engine and don't know!

Word of warning, the OM602.980 is direct injection, all other versions of the OM602 (found in older Merc cars) are indirect injection, so be careful if you start looking at mods for cars!

By the way, I think it's a pretty good buy, well done!

Dingo

Mods are quite simple . Block the EGR , exhaust runs cleaner & makes emission testing for MOT easier .
Look at getting ECU re-mapped , well worth effort . run on bio diesel , new veg oil ( tescos best at moment 10Lt for £10 ) run any ratio upt o 65% oil to dino diesel .

A remap will increase torque making driving even lazier .

Another mod id to fit an oil catch tank between the breather & turbo inlet , this will cut down on oil contamination of sensors in inlet tract , All turbo sprinters collect oil in intercooler & hoses & can lead to LHM being tripped & requiring a code clearing session . You will soon know about LHM when the van slows like you have driven into thick glue .

Had to clean my sensors several times on one van due to oil contamination on one van , nothing wrong with engine , but some do seem to breath more oil than others . remove & wash out inercooler if you are brave & have a spare day to carry out . I ran parts washer fluid through mine & left to drain for a day in sunshine , after pouring soapy water through to remove cleaner fluid . volume of oil / ****e / nastyness was alarming at first

Use only gen Merc fuel filters , had probs with fault codes & crap running due to filter . Fitted gen item faults went away van ran OK afterwards .

Welcome to our dippy world , ask questions someone will have the answer . Just remember there are no daft questions , just daft answers

Steve

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I'd love to see a Spitfire (Airplane) motor in a Sprinter. That should increase the available power. Won't be Diesel anymore, however.

Dingo

Merlin 24+lt V12 go fora griffon 37+ Lt V12 then you will see power

Will try & build one this weekend for you , what colour bodywork??

Boater

Hmm, barely room for 5 cylinders in the engine bay, the engine would need to go in the cargo bay - where have I seen that before?

Dingo

Morning Boater ,

Been thinking about this Merlin into Sprinter lark ........ It would be easier to take out the 5 pot & replace it with a Rolls Royce RR500 this is a turboprop engine , so it has an output shaft you can link to the gearbox . Weight is 225Lb (100Kg) and will not requirea swap of fuel as you can run it on pump diesel , though kerosene is cleaner & meant for jet engines . :professor:

Just a thought :bash:

Boater

I think after what I have spent on the 5 pot I'll work on the misfire and keep it for a while yet :)

I was wondering about fuel, I know modern aviation engines run on Kerosene which is pretty similar to diesel in some respects, but realised I have no idea what the older aero engines use?

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I was wondering about fuel, I know modern aviation engines run on Kerosene which is pretty similar to diesel in some respects, but realised I have no idea what the older aero engines use?
Piston aero engines use Avgas
From wikipedia...
"The particular mixtures in use today are the same as when they were first developed in the 1940s, and were used in airline and military aero engines with high levels of boost supercharging; notably the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine used in the Spitfire and Hurricane fighters, Mosquito fighter-bomber and Lancaster bomber (the Merlin II and later versions required 100-octane fuel), as well as U.S. made liquid-cooled Allison V-1710 engines, and numerous radial engines from Pratt & Whitney, Wright, and other manufacturers on both sides of the Atlantic. The high octane ratings are achieved by the addition of tetraethyl lead (TEL), a highly toxic substance that was phased out for car use in most countries in the late 20th century."

Last edited:

Dingo

HUM ! ! ! ! ! !
run high octane petrol ( gas ) in your modern cat equipped car/ van etc & see how fast it fails the emission test , not to mention filling your dash with panic lights / shutting down the engine into LHM .
Still think the way to go is turbine , then you can burn almost any flammable liquid BUT and its a BIG BUT , the fuel system & pumps Msut be able to use fuels that have no or very little lubrication qualities .

Just imagine outside lane 80 MPH + , and Johhny salesrep creeps up to your rear doors , Just open the tap & engage reheat ( afterburner) ............ bye bye mr salesrep

ANY TAKERS ? ? ? ?? ? ?

johnshmit

Use gravity feed and propulsion turbine so you can save on transmission components and use benefits of all wheel drive or should we call it allcar drive

Dingo

This is getting silly ! , So where do we go from here ? .

My next idea is a multifuel turboshaft engine driving a multistage hydraulic pump , each wheel is fitted with a hydraulic motor and provide anything from single wheel to 4 wheel drive . However if we extend the chassis & fit a third axle we could by using this method create a 6 wheel drive Sprinter burning anything combustable that does not require diff locks . :professor:

My brane now hurts & i need to rest

I await further sillyness at a later date :popcorn:

I bet surfwejd regret joining us now :2cents:

Boater

Is the back of a sprinter large enough to house a small uranium-electric power plant like submarines use? No idea how you would cool it. Imagine only refuelling once every 10 years though!

I think we are approaching maximum sillyness now! :bounce:

Dingo

Now that is just being SILLY Mr. Boater .

At least my idea of a multifuel engine means we can burn eco warriors greenly & ecologically

I do wonder how much methane we could get from these people , i mean just look at their lentil & birdseed diets .

surfwejd

YOUR ALL CRAZY, I LOVE IT

thanks all for replys, im still not sure what to do. might blank off EGR valve but i have got kinda confused with everything else. not that i dont understand it all its just a lot to take in about an enjine i have never known about :P

Johnjames1

I have just swapped in my 2002 311cdi to a 09 identical van the new shape is much better to drive except feels less powerfull it's done 160000 miles but it's the same 109 hp could there be some thin wrong with it also uses more fuel than old shape was thinking maybe egr or particulate filter ?and it don't seem to carry the weight as good I tend to go over my weight the Odd ish time and tow my older van seems better at the work at the moment even though in ever other way I love this van

Top Bottom