Inline heater...block heater 320-0003

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
Shane, Did the mechanic cut the radiator hose in two, for the heater install? Or did the heater "kit" come with two new hoses?

glasseye

shanemac, I have the exact same unit installed in my tractor. 65 watts, I believe. Works quite well, IF I remember to plug it in.

No hoses came with my unit, I had to cut the hose and install it myself.

shanemac

Shane, Did the mechanic cut the radiator hose in two, for the heater install? Or did the heater "kit" come with two new hoses?
Yes they just cut hose and installed heater. When i look at the setup now i probably could have installed it myself seeing the dealer more than covered there labor time on the bill.

Works quite well, IF I remember to plug it in.
Good to know...yes will have to get in the habit of plugging in at night, not sure how long i would have to plug this unit in for? i guess it would depend how cold it is at night.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Good to know...yes will have to get in the habit of plugging in at night, not sure how long i would have to plug this unit in for? i guess it would depend how cold it is at night.
Did it come with any instructions, an owner/operator manual, perhaps?

If you don't have steering wheel buttons, you may not be able to see your coolant temp (don't recall).

If that's the case, do you have an infra-red thermometer? If so, you could check the temp in the morning after leaving it plugged in all night, and check the temp the next morning (barring a "cold snap") to see what difference it makes.

If I were you, I'd run a 20amp, dedicated circuit out somewhere close to where you park and get in the habit of plugging it in before supper.

I'm really glad to read that you have something like this. I'm not sure what to do about the battery situation, but if you're going to replace the stock battery, find out what other people are using - brand and model-line - just to see what works.... I try to poll tow truck drivers for advice because they always see the worst. When it's time to replace my battery, I'll probably go with Braille.

-Jon

shanemac

Did it come with any instructions, an owner/operator manual, perhaps?
No instructions/operation they never gave me anything.

If you don't have steering wheel buttons, you may not be able to see your coolant temp (don't recall).
No steering wheel buttons...wish i had a temp gauge.

If that's the case, do you have an infra-red thermometer?
I do actually for fun i will do some temp readings along with a time unit was running.

bikergar

No instructions/operation they never gave me anything.

No steering wheel buttons...wish i had a temp gauge.

I do actually for fun i will do some temp readings along with a time unit was running.
Shane

Get a ScanGuage. You'll get coolant temp and lots more. :thumbup:

gary

glasseye

...yes will have to get in the habit of plugging in at night, not sure how long i would have to plug this unit in for? i guess it would depend how cold it is at night.
When it was -15C I left it on 24/7. I also stuffed a bunch of fibreglass insulation all around it to retain what heat it made. On the tractor, it was exposed to the elements. On your Sprinter, it'll be under the hood: better.

I must admit, I wasn't amazed at how much heat it made, nor how well the coolant circulated as a result of that heat.

shanemac

Get a ScanGuage. You'll get coolant temp and lots more.
I been tempted to get one.

I must admit, I wasn't amazed at how much heat it made, nor how well the coolant circulated as a result of that heat.
Thanks for the honesty...all else fails i will slap the wolverine oil pan heater on:hmmm:

I checked the current draw 5.0 amps at 125vac = 625 watts seems to run almost silent i can sorta feel like coolant is moving in the hose but not a lot. Seeing its 15c out the unit heated up pretty fast close to 150F in about 5 mins. When its -30F or colder then i will say if i like this unit or not.

Last edited:

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
Shane, How about using a time clock to initiate operation of the heater. Many allow multiple cycles during one day, and are about the same cost as the heater.

You could also set something up using block temperature to control the heater.

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
Thanks John, I was thinking about even using one of those water heater time clocks, Shane could get at the hardware store there in town for maybe $30.00

Shane, If you send me your address, I'll make something up for ya. :cheers:

shanemac

I plan on getting a outdoor timer...but my guess in -30c or colder i will have it plugged in all night.

Shane, If you send me your address, I'll make something up for ya.
I will let you know...:thumbup:

raheyder

...you posted a part # 320-0003...is this a Chrysler # or from another source? ...just checked with my Chrysler dealer...they have no listing...

Thanks

shanemac

I believe this was a aftermarket part number...the mopar number was this,

Description: Engine Block Heater Kit for 3.0L Diesel Item Number: 82211744 MSRP*: $110.63 usa price Part Note: Installation Guide: Vehicle Description: 2007-2009 Sprinter 2500

I was quoted $300.00 for heater alone

raheyder

...thanks for the info

....took a bit but the aftermarket # (320-0003) belongs to Phillips & Temro company....can be sourced at your local (Canadian) hardware-tire store... :) ....bought one yesterday...cost > $ 50.00.
again..thanks...

Rick

shanemac

Thanks.... its good to know the dealer didn't hose me to bad on the part cost all though they did more than well on there labor install cost i figure....oh well they have bills to pay too.:rant:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
No Sprinter owner can work for free, either :)

Some of you have loans to pay on the truck, rent and mortgages, kids to clothe.... money's vital.

-Jon

Top Bottom