Battery light on dash

hvacsprinter

Does anyone know how to reset the battery indicator light on the dash? I have a 2008 sprinter 3500 diesel and 5 days ago this batterylight came on for no reason. I tested the battery with the engine off and i get aproximately 12.5 volts. When i start the engine with all the accesories on i get about 14.5. I've been driving it like this for 5 days now and it seems to be ok except for the stupid light. Can anyone help me out. Thanks

mike

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Does anyone know how to reset the battery indicator light on the dash? I have a 2008 sprinter 3500 diesel and 5 days ago this batterylight came on for no reason. I tested the battery with the engine off and i get aproximately 12.5 volts. When i start the engine with all the accesories on i get about 14.5. I've been driving it like this for 5 days now and it seems to be ok except for the stupid light. Can anyone help me out. Thanks

mike
12.5v seems too low... a healthy & fully charged batteries should read 12.7-12.9, perhaps the light is on for a valid reason.... like a dying battery or cable...

hvacsprinter

Thank you for the reply. When this light came on i put a digital battery charger/tester on it and it showed that it was fully charged. The truck is only 3 years old. Do you think that it could have electrical issues this early? How long do these oem batteries last? Any idea on resetting the light on the dash?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The cable that runs from the alternator, makes a stop at the starter before going on to the starter battery.

My cable failed at 3 years in the pacific north west. Shanemac's 2007 Sprinter's battery charging cable failed in Fort McMurray, Alberta Canada.

Review this thread for a description of the cable, the failure and some metrics.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13606

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Any idea on resetting the light on the dash?
If a generic code reading/clearing device will not clear this code, you'll need a dealership class tool like Chrysler's StarMOBILE, Chrysler's WiTECH or Mercedes Benz's Star Diagnosis System.

As for OEM battery life, it really depends on how it's used, the weather and the condition of the electrical system components. In short, "it depends."

You should have the battery tested outside of the vehicle to detemine if the battery is indeed "bad."
-Jon

Chandlerazman

I've had my battery replaced after two years. Dealer just changed it out one sunny day while getting an oil change.... I dunno :idunno:

Top Bottom