fuel mileage

dcginc

i don't own a sprinter yet but was wondering how folks got on with their fuel mileage.

looking at the CDI diesel engine sold in the USA.

city driving (stop and go)
Open road highway mileage

thanks!

Barrelsaver

My 2008 144" Cargo van normaly gets 20mpg in town or highway, loaded or empty, A/C on! It may drop to 19mpg when pushing a headwind or sidewind. I normally drive 68-70mph where permitted on the highways. I just did a 500+ miles run at 70mph, A/C on, with a 3-5mph tail wind and got 21+ mpg. I always use Amalgamated TDRS fuel additive to boost the ULSD diesel cetane and lubricity. I think this is what most are getting here in the USA.
TK

Farm Bus

Just checked mine and got 23/24 highway with AC at 70 MPH apparent (67 in Sprinter language) loaded with kids. Passenger, 03 with 100k.

windsprinter

Usually get around 19-20 USMPG around town - about 22 at highway. But I've got over 28 mpg for my best tank when I took backroads and just coasted along, even with a high mountain pass involved. Never went over 55 mph, often at 40. I was getting about 29 today for a 1 hr return trip, took the backroad which has few stopsigns or stoplights. Too bad we can't get the 4 cyl and standard here.

Last edited:

glasseye

Just checked mine and got 23/24 highway with AC at 70 MPH apparent (67 in Sprinter language) loaded with kids. Passenger, 03 with 100k.
Same here; 24mpg or better. I just did over 7000 miles in under three weeks, all of it at a sustained 70 mph indicated and AC on.

I just saw a TV ad for a Hyundai Santa Fe that quoted "up to 24 mpg". That's for a car, not something you could live in.:idunno:

cedarsanctum

re: Member
My overall average reading from the dash readout for the last 8000+ miles is showing 20.6 mpg. The trip mpg gauge has shown up to 22.8 for some 3-400 mile trips, mostly at slower speeds or with tailwinds, but most of the time cruising at 65 it registers about 21 mpg. Very little city driving, but lots of narrow gravel logging roads.
Jef

Diamondsea

Have '09 short, tall. I get 20 to 21 with my usual driving which is mostly open road keeping speeds below 65, generally around 55 to 60. In the city the worst I have registered is 17MPG.

breffni

i can only get 14 mpg now with my topper roof rack from Inlad ... before i could get 400 miles on a full tank (which in my calculations was 16mpg)and now i get 350 .. I do drive hard and even in our family car (lexus rx330) my wife can get WAY better mpg than me. OH btw i have an 07 144 high top.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I get about 15 mpg as an average up 17 somtimes but I also carry about 1500 lbs.I have a 3500 158 wb
158? You have a T1N dually?

We NCV3 owners are going to use you when T1Ners toss mileage in our faces.

Our rides are more comfortable, so the consensus goes.... but Dick (autostaretx)'s 2005 T1N driver seat is pretty nice.... as nice as my friend's 2007 EOS with the sporty interior.

-Jon

GregT

08 2500 170 Ext Crew
Go to www.fuelly.com for real world Sprinter mileage data. I have my 2008 on the site with over 80 fuel fill-ups. My average mileage for the first 28,000 miles is 18.4 mpg.

kmessinger

I wish I got some of the mileage reported here by 07-08 Sprinters. Guess I better try some fuel additives.

I have an 08 Sprinter diesel, coverted by Sportmobile. It weighs in at about 8200 pounds fully loaded which it is most of the time. I have 28k+ miles on it.

In town 15-17; Highway (at 60-65) 19, (at 70-75) 16; Best ever 21;

I do have solar panels on top with a windfairing that may be reducing my mileage.

Regards,

Keith

windsprinter

I'm on fuelly too. Just checked; my average is 19.7 over 27 fillups (I've got to do August yet....) and my best tank was 25.5, not what I remembered in the earlier post. I have got considerably better than that on single long trips though. BTW, gravel really kills the mileage, even driving slow. I did 1500 km without a stopsign or stoplight in that whole time, and I averaged about what I normally do on highway at modest speed.

Goliath

I just uploaded six months of Goliath fuel data from TealAuto to fuelly and I still have the most entries and worst mileage: 109 entries averaging 18.2 MPG. :idunno:

Waterworld

Irrigator
The first 20k miles the avg was around 23.5
The past 11k the avg is around 24.5
I have had two day trips 300 miles each returned 27mpg. From Cleveland to Columbus and back.

I am taking the van to Florida for the winter fully loaded with stuff that we are moving. I am going to post a poll before I leave with different mpg's you guess that the avg will be. And then I will report the results for the 1200mile / 20hr non-stop trip.

I will take pics of the odometer and pics of the load

I am looking for recommendations for new tires that I will need before the trip. I have been searching through old posts when I have time. But any info is appreciated.
I have a 144 2007 low roof

Last edited:

kmessinger

The first 20k miles the avg was around 23.5
The past 11k the avg is around 24.5
I have had two day trips 300 miles each returned 27mpg. From Cleveland to Columbus and back.
Is your Sprinter an 07-09?

The problem with this thread is no one is talking apples and apples. All the mileage figures are basically irrevelant to me if they are not from the same model I have.

If we really want discuss mileage we would do it by model.

Regards,

Keith

BBlessing

61k happy miles
Is your Sprinter an 07-09?

The problem with this thread is no one is talking apples and apples. All the mileage figures are basically irrevelant to me if they are not from the same model I have.

If we really want discuss mileage we would do it by model.

Regards,

Keith
i couldn't have said it better myself.:clapping:

bb

Top Bottom