caution when changing oil

rvdriverca

What happen, to me was, that after changing oil and filter oil was leaking at the cap of the oil filter container. The original "O" ring was the one that came with the van, I had to pry off the cap, it was a tight fit. The repacement oil filter (Fram CH9301) came with 3 "O" rings. The 2 small one's fit ok, the large "O" ring that fit's on the cap groove was very loose. To stop it from leaking I ended up using the old "O" ring. Yes I had lubricated it.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I have used nothing other than FRAM oil filters (I bought a case back when they were the first 3rd party oil filter supplier for Sprinters). The only time I have had the cap leak is when I made the mistake of not properly seating the O-ring before hand-tightening. Also, it is possible to over-tighten and force the O-ring out from the seat. So I don't believe your problem was a simple matter of improper O-ring design/manufacturing by Fram.

Turtle

Actually, the end of the filter cap has a dead-stop lip which prevents it from being over-tightened. If you over-tighten it, the thing will crack.

If oil is leaking out around the filter and the o-rings were properly installed, then it's a slam dunk that it was hand-tightened and not properly tightened with a wrench.

kendall69

I had a disaster when I put my filter on. I thought the O ring had to go all the way to the bottom. when I pit the cap on it leaked like a sieve, and sprayed oil all over the engine.

I removed it and brought the O ring back up to the groove
DUH!, all was fine when I tightened it up.:bash:

amirbtalai

I really don't recommend FRAM EVER, on any vehicle EVER.
For less than 10 bucks you can get German made Mahle, Hengst, or Mann oil filters.
Check out www.egermanparts.com.
They are now selling air, oil, and fuel filters for the Sprinter.

Good Luck

mobileoilchange

TAKE IT FROM ME, Fram filters are the worst filters known to man kind. dont believe me? go compair them for yourself. and if you dare....buy a spin on fram once and then go buy a napa/wix, motorcraft, ac delco, or any other brand. make sure that when you buy the fram and the other brand that they are for the same motor/vehicle and year. you will see that the fram is the only one with cardboard ends that are octagon, the pleats and filter media are junk, they dont have a coiled spring but instead use a crappy sheet metal stamped tension spacer. what i really dont understand is why they made the filter ends from think cardboard, and made them octagon. how is a octagon supposted to seal a circle can? :bash: this design allows the gunk that the filter is supposted to trap pass by and run right back through the oil system.

yes i know the sprinter is a cartriage filter, but the fram is still junk.

before you fram it....cram it

heres a guy with too much time on his hands

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Agree hence South African filters.. Both are OEM! Bosh Germany.. RYCO S/Africa
blow out (Large).jpg

DSC01067 (Large).jpg

DSC01070 (Large).jpg

DSC01069 (Large) (2).jpg
Last photo shows the difference between the standard OEM filter bottom filter and the H/D Filter top filter on the same photo... Blind Freddy can see the quality in both filter and how the ends of the casings work, To this day I have never had a satisfactory ANSWER AS TO WHY:idunno: THE TWO ARE SOLD FOR THE SAME SPRINTER ENGINE.. I'M TOLD IT'S FOR THE EXTENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVALS:thinking:
Not so I've been around to many places with my Sprinters Middle East use RYCO Iraq, Kuwait, Turkey, Israel, Lebanon, down through Ethiopia Right to Johannesburg Capetown South Africa
Interesting the RYCO is a screw on type it also has a free spinning base encased within the plastic ends it's impossible to over tighten, it has a small base at the unit for sediment to collect and not into the actual filter.
OEM has a drop down filter..oil flow at base is restricted, thus increasing the risk factor of a shorter life by advancing oil changes sooner.
I'll bet there is two filter cans on the go.. both standard filters Bosch, or any of 'maybe' and the latter RYCO both approved by MB fit .
The original RYCO filter was replaced at 38 thousand kilometers the filter had little noticeable sediment caught in the fleece filtration sleeves.
I do not know if this RYCO filter is suitable for extreme cold weather conditions! However desert night are below -20 at night in the Middle east Deserts and Australia during winter periods.
Just my thoughts.
Richard

DSC01075 (Large).jpg

sikwan

06 Tin Can
TAKE IT FROM ME, Fram filters are the worst filters known to man kind. dont believe me? go compair them for yourself.
While I would agree with you in general, the Fram's for Sprinters look exactly like those just posted by Richard (Altered Sprinter). They're both made in South Africa, it has the black plastic ends with rubber gasket, and the paper media looks the same. Whether the media is the same is another question.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4610&postcount=16

The filters for the Sprinter are easier to dissect so it's just a matter of comparing the paper media.

Interesting the RYCO is a screw on type it also has a free spinning base encased within the plastic ends it's impossible to over tighten,
What screw on type end are you talking about?

If you mean the end caps that look like they have threads, those are not threads, but a rubber gasket.

When I went digging for Ryco, it looked like Ryco (South America) made the filters for Fram. :idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I'm due for a final major service by May the 8th I'll do the photo shoot OK this Ryco unit has push in thread type gasket:thinking: either way it spins and locks into place. I can not remember if it was at the base or on the lid? so I'll let you know when it gets the service.
The Bosch filter is rated 28 to 32 micron.. the Ryco Filter fibre is different as in the same or simular composite as a Hepa filter this one Ryco is 15 Micron rated,or close to it.
Richard Top photo BOSH
DSC01084(1) (Large).jpg
Second photo Ryco which ever, this design works very well.
DSC01074 (Large).jpg
Richard

Last edited:

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
I was on the phone a while back with a Bosch oil filter tech person, talking about oil filters for the 2.7 Sprinter.

I was wanting to know if they had a better filter and the person told me of a 10 micron filter that was used in a different MB application that would fit however, the smallest diameter O-ring that goes on the end was not the correct size to work in the 2.7 diesel.

I think it may have been the same filter that the 3.0 V-6 diesel engine uses but I'm not sure.

Anyone know of a 10 micron oil filter for the 2.7 engine?

:cheers:d

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I was on the phone a while back with a Bosch oil filter tech person, talking about oil filters for the 2.7 Sprinter.

I was wanting to know if they had a better filter and the person told me of a 10 micron filter that was used in a different MB application that would fit however, the smallest diameter O-ring that goes on the end was not the correct size to work in the 2.7 diesel.

I think it may have been the same filter that the 3.0 V-6 diesel engine uses but I'm not sure.

Anyone know of a 10 micron oil filter for the 2.7 engine?

:cheers:d
NCV HAS THE LOWER MICRON FILTER
RING MERCEDES AT YOUR NEAREST LOCATION TO SEE IF IT'S POSSIBLE TO FIND ONE TO FIT YOUR TIN CAN VW CRAFTY CRAFTER'S HAVE THEM AS THE RETAINED THE FIVE IN LINE.
GEARS (Custom).jpg NOTE OIL USAGE WITH THIS FILTER 229.5 FOR TIN
RICHARD

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
The 2007 and newer 3.0 engines do use the 10 micron filter and it WILL fit the 2.7 engine.

The only thing that needs to be sourced separately is the smallest O-ring.

Has anyone used the 10 micron oil filter from the 3.0 in the 2.7 engine?

:cheers:

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The 2007 and newer 3.0 engines do use the 10 micron filter and it WILL fit the 2.7 engine.

The only thing that needs to be sourced separately is the smallest O-ring.

Has anyone used the 10 micron oil filter from the 3.0 in the 2.7 engine?

Oil filter? The 2.7 and 3.0 oil filters are NOT the same dimensions.

Regarding filtration, are you confusing this with the spark ignition 3.0's ASSYST mandated fleece oil filter which is verboten for use on the diesel engine. Doktor A

blackheart

Doctor A

are you sure the fleece filter is not to be used on the 3.0 diesel ?
I thought it was mandatory for extended oi change intervals .

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
Oil filter? The 2.7 and 3.0 oil filters are NOT the same dimensions.

Regarding filtration, are you confusing this with the spark ignition 3.0's ASSYST mandated fleece oil filter which is verboten for use on the diesel engine. Doktor A

The filter the Bosch guy recommended was the HP-7004

I haven't seen one yet.

Is this the "fleece" filter?

What's wrong with it?

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
So I went the autoparts store this morning and looked at a Purolator oil filter and a Bosch oil filter.

The filters looked to be identical. They measure out the same on their length, O.D and the I.D. and both claim to be made in Germany.

The only thing that appeared different was the Purolator filter was the classic yellow/orange media while the Bosch was some white sythetic media that had a string wrapped around it.

Is this the "fleece" that we are warned against using?

I was thinking that if this was fleece it would look like a sheep or a Patagonia jacket but it looked like a Hepa filter instead. :idunno:

The guy at the parts counter didn't show the Bosch filter to be the correct filter but the only thing that I could find different was the smallest O-ring was titch too big to probably fit properly.

Bosch owns Purolator.

The Bosch filter was the HP-7004 10 micron oil filter while the Purolator filter is a 25 micron.

Would this filter have too fine of a media to properly flow the through? Would the volume of oil end up pushing the bypass valve open?

Is this why the thin oil spec 229.5 is used with this filter?

I'm thinking about trying this filter out next time but wanted to get some valid opinions that are not just fear driven.

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
Ok I did it, I'm using the HP-7004 10 micron oil filter.

I measured it against the filter that I had been using and it's the same size and I sourced the little o-ring from Mcmaster Carr.

I'll change it out after 5k miles to get a looksee for trouble.

pugwash

diy campervan conversion
Working in the oil and gas industry as a solids control engineer (for those that dont know what that is i'm a **** shovellar I dispose of the mud and cuttings drilled from the hole) anyway often I get involved in water and brine filteration, a couple of years a ago we got cheaper filters for filtering brine as it turned out they were bloody useless took us what should have taken 12 hours to filter 5000 bbls ended up taking us 5 days. because the paper element was not good enough.

I have done most of my servicing myself and recommend using the right filters you may save a couple of pounds or dolllars but its better than replacing the engine.

Ps my sprinter has done over 320,000 miles

GEARS

2005 140WB standard roof
The filter was German made. It wasn't a cheaper filter, not that price always = better product, and what stoked my willingness to use this filter is that it's a 10 micron filter. The standard filter is the same size but they're spec is around 25 micron.

Has anyone else compared the the OEM filter against the snazzy?

Top Bottom