any advise on a good sturdy roof rack system that wont rust??

breffni

I have seen the some of the racks on the market such as the 3 rail rack and the cargo rack from sprinter world. i think the 3 rail rac would be too light for what i need and the cargo would be too much and also decrease my fuel economy.

Any advise is appreciated. I have an 07 ncv3 and I am a contractor so I will be using it for ladders and some lumber and god knows what else.

Breffni,

I am a contractor and have a 2008 144" standard roof. I searched high and low for a rack that I would be happy with for transporting lumber and ladders.

I like the System One because it is aluminum for weight and rustproof. It also has the ratchet straps built in but it is not available for the Sprinter. When I called them in Jan 2009, they told me there were no plans to make one for the Sprinter. Since then I have also heard that they are notorius for the hardware loosening up because of the aluminum.

I was able to find some racks in Europe, for example the Rhino Rack which is a safari type rack but I could not find any way to buy it here and no dealer in Europe would ship one over.

The Adrian Steel rack is painted, heavy, expensive, only has three crossbars and 6 mounting points to the roof rails on the Sprinter. Having more crossbars is more protection from things falling between the rails and denting the roof. According to the Sprinter manual, the standard roof is rated for a maximum of 660 lbs and each set of load points is good for 110 lbs. This means you would need 12 mounting points to get the maximum 660 lb capacity which includes the weight of the rack.

I ended up going with the Topper rack with 5 sets of brackets (3 sets are standard). http://www.toppermfg.com/vans.html The Topper rack is hot dip galvanized so it won't scratch like the painted racks will and then rust.
I bought it from Inlad - here is a link to their Sprinter Site http://www.sprintervanequipment.com/AllPurposeLadderRacksforSprinterVans.aspx Their price and service were very good and I was able to order two extra sets of brackets from them as well. The rack including the extra brackets weighs less than 100 lbs so I have approx 450 lbs of available payload.

Good luck with your decision and let me know if you have any questions.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The Rhino Rack I was refering to is totally different. Here is a link. http://www.rhinoproducts.co.uk/product_results.asp?VehicleModelID=173#Rack
same or as simulate on the US site but limited to acc/ did you follow the link then look at 4x4 vans as to the two differnt ratings once you selcet the correct roof bars the add on's are simple enough to follow.
Not cheap though. but they last for twenty years. It appears the U.S distribution site was too lazy to configure the select links, as it's the same as the Aus site:bash:
Richard
rr.jpg

breffni

Breffni,

I am a contractor and have a 2008 144" standard roof. I searched high and low for a rack that I would be happy with for transporting lumber and ladders.

I like the System One because it is aluminum for weight and rustproof. It also has the ratchet straps built in but it is not available for the Sprinter. When I called them in Jan 2009, they told me there were no plans to make one for the Sprinter. Since then I have also heard that they are notorius for the hardware loosening up because of the aluminum.

I was able to find some racks in Europe, for example the Rhino Rack which is a safari type rack but I could not find any way to buy it here and no dealer in Europe would ship one over.

The Adrian Steel rack is painted, heavy, expensive, only has three crossbars and 6 mounting points to the roof rails on the Sprinter. Having more crossbars is more protection from things falling between the rails and denting the roof. According to the Sprinter manual, the standard roof is rated for a maximum of 660 lbs and each set of load points is good for 110 lbs. This means you would need 12 mounting points to get the maximum 660 lb capacity which includes the weight of the rack.

I ended up going with the Topper rack with 5 sets of brackets (3 sets are standard). http://www.toppermfg.com/vans.html The Topper rack is hot dip galvanized so it won't scratch like the painted racks will and then rust.
I bought it from Inlad - here is a link to their Sprinter Site http://www.sprintervanequipment.com/AllPurposeLadderRacksforSprinterVans.aspx Their price and service were very good and I was able to order two extra sets of brackets from them as well. The rack including the extra brackets weighs less than 100 lbs so I have approx 450 lbs of available payload.

wow thanks... that topper rack is exactly what i need... One question (or maybe 2) DOES IT MAKE A OT OF WIND NOISE, and did it significantly lower your mpg?

Martin

JorgensenPlumbing

I had one on a regular Dodge van and it did make some noise. It had a 360 in it and mileage sucked any way! But it was better than hauling pipe inside. Topper has been the choice in Southern Wisconsin area for years they make a quality rack.

Martin,

In response to your questions:

1. There is some wind noise since I installed the rack but that is to be expected. I would not call it terrible but is sure isn't as quiet as it was before I installed the rack. Most of the time the rack is empty since I do not like leaving the fiberglass ladder exposed to the weather when it is not needed and it only adds more weight and wind noise.

2. It is hard to say if the rack has significantly affected my MPG since I installed it right after I bought the truck. I am getting in the 18 - 20 MPG range with the Diesel so I would tend to say there is little difference. Obviously there is more wind resistance but the majority of the rack is tubular and it weighs less than 100 lbs.

Call me crazy, before I assembled the rack I waxed all of the parts. I also waxed the roof before I installed the rack. I set the rear crossbar to just overhang the top edge of the roof so I can lean long things against it and then push them up on top. Just make sure you have a 4' stepladder with you to fasten your loads up there.

breffni

Martin,

In response to your questions:

1. There is some wind noise since I installed the rack but that is to be expected. I would not call it terrible but is sure isn't as quiet as it was before I installed the rack. Most of the time the rack is empty since I do not like leaving the fiberglass ladder exposed to the weather when it is not needed and it only adds more weight and wind noise.

2. It is hard to say if the rack has significantly affected my MPG since I installed it right after I bought the truck. I am getting in the 18 - 20 MPG range with the Diesel so I would tend to say there is little difference. Obviously there is more wind resistance but the majority of the rack is tubular and it weighs less than 100 lbs.

Call me crazy, before I assembled the rack I waxed all of the parts. I also waxed the roof before I installed the rack. I set the rear crossbar to just overhang the top edge of the roof so I can lean long things against it and then push them up on top. Just make sure you have a 4' stepladder with you to fasten your loads up there.

I think i will have to go for the rear door ladder also as i have a high top...

breffni

Unless you get the catwalk option, http://www.cyclevan.com/NewSprinterProducts/images/sprntr rack and catwalk.jpg you will probably still need a stepladder to secure your load to the front of the rack. Also keep in mind that the maximum weight load for the hightop is 330 lbs. This info can be found on page 630 of the 2008 manual.
i would like to get the catwalk... but I am fairly sure that bad boy would whistle like a kettle! Really... 33o lbs...hmmmm thats probably enough for what i will put up there... couple of ladders and maybe a few 16 footer trim planks etc

breffni

Breffni,

hey there, i ended up buying a topper rack from Inlad and i have to tell you the service was terrible. I purchased it over the phone and was told it was being shipped out that day....they sent the the tracking number that evening and I was delighted! A week later (after tracking it all week) i received a package t got a parcel the size of a shoe box, I was expecting a large package! The next day i called to find out wtf was going on! they told me they shipped the hardware and as the actual rack was shipping from a different depot it hadnt shipped yet!!!!! EVEN though they told me it was all coming together! I was pissed, I had arranged to move jobsites the day after receiving the rack and then had to make excuses to the gc i was working for!! I asked them to split the cost of overnighting it to me and they refused, I asked them for a definite answer if they could ship it straight away and they refused!

LOL I am just sharing my experience and doing a little venting! I am sure the rack is going to be excellent when I actually get it.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know they have multiple locations so parts of the order might come from different places. Who did you deal with and what location was it? I dealt with John Goode in MD and Jim Fuller in IL and had no problems.

So much for installing it this weekend. Let me know how you like the rack after it is on the van.

The suspense is killing me...Do you like the rack or not? :hmmm: It looks like it is well made and does not have too tall of a profile. If time of shipping was better, would you do it again? Galvi seems to be the way to go. I have a 7 year old painted ladder rack which is not holing the paint anymore...RUSTY. Waiting for more input before having one shipped to Seattle. Thanks

breffni

The suspense is killing me...Do you like the rack or not? :hmmm: It looks like it is well made and does not have too tall of a profile. If time of shipping was better, would you do it again? Galvi seems to be the way to go. I have a 7 year old painted ladder rack which is not holing the paint anymore...RUSTY. Waiting for more input before having one shipped to Seattle. Thanks
so eventually all the parts came and i installed it today... pretty easy to put together and install. there is quite a howl off it but I will probably not even hear it after a few days. Heres a photo, i just had the windows tinted to keep out the blaring sun also.

Last edited:

breffni

ok so i thought I would get used to the noise but it is way too much to get used to... then add the 40-50 mpg less per fill and thay really makes my mind up for me. I am taking it off today!

Martin,

What kind of mileage were you getting before installing the rack? My Scanguage calculates my MPG to be between 19 and 20 with the Diesel, 144 low top. It sounds like the rack it reducing your MPG by 1-2 MPG or 10%. That sounds pretty significant but I don't have any reference since I put the rack on right after I bought it. As far as the wind noise goes, it is nowhere near as quiet as it was on the ride home when I bought it but I don't think there is any choice if I want to carry ladders and long items. What are you planning on doing now?

Top Bottom