Used 2007 Cargo Van - 150K miles

CheckMax

In my ongoing dilemma to sort out how best to equip my new van, this comes along. A buddy is selling his 2007 144 Hi top cargo van with a window in the sliding door and two rear windows.

I've been going through the brain damage of determining model combos and aftermarket upgrades to get to this:
family van - beach cruiser - overnighter.

First and foremost, I need a bench seat in the rear and maybe two captains chairs. I like the T5 set-up and am searching for retrofits in the US. The window layout is still being determined with my better half. The minimum is seating for two toddlers, two adults (in addition to driver/psgr) and the dog.

which brings me to my post...Do I buy knew with all the latest gizmos which puts me in the $50-60k bracket or do I buy used and outfit accordingly which for this vehicle will involve a good amount of time/effort which given this site's excellent resources I am confident can be done?

Setting aside the final cost, what should I be looking for or mindful of with this used vehicle - particular wear items, specific checks, impending repairs? Original owner, regularly serviced, has rust spots here and there that have been touched up. Wifey in her wisdom tells me you're going to buy a 7 year old car with how many miles?

Feedback and/or recommended previous postings welcome - thanks.

Onefin

I wouldn't, and didn't buy a used sprinter.
150k is a lot of miles, even for a more reliable, less expensive to repair vehicle.
Listen to your wife.
If you are able and willing to do all the work and enjoy that type of thing....then used high mileage may be ok.
I'd rather have a new basic van than a used old one....no need for loaded $50-60k new van.

Onefin

Get a new leftover 2014 crew van.
Has factory seat and two latch mounts for kids.
IMHO I'd rather pay a monthly payment for a high-tech German diesel brand new than have the possibility of $2,000 repairs out of warranty.
You may have a different opinion.
I just find a monthly payment less annoying than a $2k+ repair bill for an EGR or DEF failure.

cahaak

It all depends on the price and care of the used van. I bought a used 2006 in the fall of 2009 for $15K. A new 2008 (demo model) was going to cost me $32K. It had 113K miles on it (lots of highway miles - band touring van). I think I have about 228K on it now (my wife won't let me drive it except on Sundays). Miles are not an issue at all on these vans in regards to engine / drivetrain mechanicals if properly cared for. They may take their toll on the body. I certainly expect to get 400K out of my van. We put about 25K a year on it, so that is around 7 more years. Only issue is that it is getting body rust. Think about the van price you quoted above. If you got the used one you mention for $20K, what could you do with $30-40K in terms of outfitting and upkeep?

How long do you plan to keep the van, miles / year, location in regards to body rust....Nothing at all wrong with buying new, but a good used buy can save you a lot of $ or it could maybe give you some headaches. You have to weigh out your fixing skills, lifestyle amount of $ you have and so on.

Chris

Slowerone

I have a 07 with 75,000 miles, just purchased a Ford used car "premium care" $100 deductible extended warranty which takes me to 122,556 miles and 12-28-18. Price $2230
Worth every Penny, van is in the shop getting a new steering column and ignition lock.

CheckMax

Thanks for the input.
Decision has been made for me as van sold before I could inspect.
I agree with basic van concept. Problem is there are so many useful options.

Now about that 4x4....

Top Bottom