Sprinter 413 02 plate not starting unless towed

magnampi

Right il tell YE what i know and what I've done then YE can all shout at me:idunno:
Got this van and it will not start without towing it, even when hot, it was like this when we got it, we have changed the fuel filter and the heater plugs.
Have done a pump pressure check and it's at 1460 have been told this could be du to a fault on the lp side of things in the tank as it should not be over 1050.
I have done a injector bleed off check and had no fuel out of 1 and 4, had loads out of 2 and a wee bit out of no 3, I did and non start bleed off test of 5 seconds turn over on the starter motor with a full charged battery, I did this test 5 times, 2 and 3 gave out fuel and 1 and 4 were just damp, any help would be great as I'm at a loss:
:idunno:
Bring back the old trucks

HowardB

Unless all the guys know you already, the first thing they will ask is what year make, model and engine you have. Sounds as if you are towing it to start it .... does that mean it's a standard transmission?

If it is and that's what your doing, when you are towing it, you are generating new electricity and you are also creating heat and compression which equals ignition in the cylinders. How many miles? When it's running does it smoke at all, a little, alot?
Sounds like you have low voltage, low compression issues or maybe a fuel pressure issue also.
More details please so the real experts can help you out. I'm just a chuckle head that's kinda interested in Sprinters right now.

magnampi

Thanks for the post, the Mercedes sprinter 413 cdi 2.2 diesel manual has done around 80000, there is no smoke after it starts, it starts within 10 yards when towed and there is no loss of power, when driving after 20 mile we stopped l( less than a minit then had to tow it again to start it,

CDI203

When motor is could
injector return leak test
2 and 3 less than 20ml/minute ?
and all injector in 20% ?

If not start starter but start towing
chek cam positon sensor(and wires)
if problem is oyly "E: hot motor"
chek carnk positon sensor

when starter turn motor
chek look air low presuer pipes(clear plastic pipes)
chek low presuer fuel delivery pump (delivery presuer ~2-3bar)

Last edited:

magnampi

Thanks for the reply, 2 was at 20 3 was less and 1and4 were dry will check again at the weekend and get back to you

regon

Hi I had a similar problem when I brought my van ,I cannot remember exactly what I did now but check out this thread which is my original one when I had this problem, it worked for me hope it does for you.

Top Bottom