SRS Light staying on!!! Keep me away from the dealer!

hurleyskis

Well after the nightmare i had last week at Carson Dodge in Carson City NV I sure as heck don't want to go back for this SRS light.

I brought the sprinter to the dealer last week with 3 or 4 minor issues...they kept it an extra day apparently so they could make sure that absolutely nothing on the list of problems was fixed!! The one major issues was a small oil leak near the charge pressure sensor and on the receipt it sais no leak visible....well i get the service manager and the "other" sprinter tech out to look at it and the tech sais..."they should have fixed that when it was here"!!!!

And today the SRS light is staying on...I tried disconnecting the battery and shorting the positive to negative but it is still on. I used an OBD2 device that i borrowed from the local auto parts store and it wasn't showing any codes ???

Please keep me from having to return to the dealer...please!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I played around with the airbags by testing to see if the airbags are rated 2 ohms in resistance. They are and the SRS light goes out when it detects the 2 ohm resistor.

The bad thing, I went on further and disconnected the 2 ohm resistor and let the SRS light come on. Reconnected the 2 ohm resistor to see if it turned off. It didn't, even with the original airbag installed.

Read the service manual, which I should've done prior to this practice of disconnecting the 2 ohm fully, and it says that when the airbag system detects a fault (my case an open airbag connection) it stores a code in the computer. This code can ONLY be reset by the dealer with the DRBIII computer.

Unless you want to disconnect airbags entirely or get rid of the LED that lights up the SRS, you really have no choice.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I played around with the airbags by testing to see if the airbags are rated 2 ohms in resistance. They are and the SRS light goes out when it detects the 2 ohm resistor.

Unless you want to disconnect airbags entirely or get rid of the LED that lights up the SRS, you really have no choice.
A SRS fault is not just limited to the airbags. The SRS MIL can be triggered by circuit faults involving the seat belt pyrotechnics and all SRS system wiring as well. Doktor A

hurleyskis

So if i can get access to a DRBIII i can reset this? Forgive my ignorance but is the DRBIII specific to our sprinters or would my local dodge (not an authorized sprinter service location) be likely to have one?

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
So if i can get access to a DRBIII i can reset this? Forgive my ignorance but is the DRBIII specific to our sprinters or would my local dodge (not an authorized sprinter service location) be likely to have one?

The DRB 111 is for Sprinter only .
Your local Dodge guy would need to specilize in Sprinters these are not cheap to buy.
Richard

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
...This code can ONLY be reset by the dealer with the DRBIII computer.
Couldn't a ScanGauge allow removing the code? I have successfully done this with other codes. This would be the lesst expensive way to remove the code to see if it returns... Al

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Couldn't a ScanGauge allow removing the code? I have successfully done this with other codes. This would be the lesst expensive way to remove the code to see if it returns... Al
I wish it did. The code doesn't even show up on the scangauge, at least mine didn't. It just says no codes.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Poor Seek....

What happened, will you go to dealer to reset your code now?

I meet you there.......:laughing:

Tibor

The bad thing, I went on further and disconnected the 2 ohm resistor and let the SRS light come on. Reconnected the 2 ohm resistor to see if it turned off. It didn't, even with the original airbag installed.

Read the service manual, which I should've done prior to this practice of disconnecting the 2 ohm fully, and it says that when the airbag system detects a fault (my case an open airbag connection) it stores a code in the computer. This code can ONLY be reset by the dealer with the DRBIII computer.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)

SRS codes are usually off limits to aftermarket scan tools. All Dodge dealers have DRBIIIs but not every non-Sprinter dealer has the DRBIII Sprinter/Crossfire multiplex cable(for the German k line protocol) and the DRBIII Sprinter card needed for communication. BTW, The DRBIII is not the only Sprinter scan computer. Snap-on's Nexiq Technologies division now markets the German SDA software for Sprinters. Used by UPS and fleets who don't want the DRBIII(or can't afford it). It's not cheap, runs on a laptop, will eventually also accommodate CAN based protocol on '07 and '08s. I find it slower to use than the DRBIII but it has lots of secondary tech info and wiring diagrams included in the software menus. Doktor A

talkinghorse43

Please keep me from having to return to the dealer...please!
Sounds like you're still under warranty? If so, I would swallow hard and take it back. Even if you could find someone with a DRB-III to reset the light, it might just come back on and then the fault would have to be repaired. The SRS light is lit again on my '02 as I write this, but I know (the good Doktor hooked up his DRB-III) that there's a problem with the driver's airbag squib wiring (either a short to ground, or a short between the two wires) that I have to trace and fix. Don't know, but could be the clockspring needs to be replaced.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Recent analysis of returned clock springs have indicated that prior service may have contributed to the clock spring's failure.

* Do not use silicone or any other lubricant spray on or near the clock spring. Lubricants are often used in the clock spring area of the steering column to eliminate noise. Lubricants may have an adverse effect on the clock spring.
* Clock spring centering. Any repair that may disrupt the positioning of the steering wheel with the front wheels will require that the clock spring be centered. This includes clock spring replacement, steering column service, steering gear service, and front suspension crossmember service. Refer to the Service Manual for the clock spring centering procedure. Doktor A

bstory

Help: Clock spring. lubrication, noise in steering wheel

I am responding to a very old post of Dr. A's regarding the clock spring. I have had noise coming from the steering wheel for over a year - only when the weather is hot or the inside of the van cabin is warm/hot. It is a creaking noise when the wheel is turned, even the slightest little bit, to the right. No noticeable effect on steering - just irritating and worrisome.

I have put off dealing with it because even after quite a bit of research and a visit to a local non-Sprinter mechanic it isn't clear what is going on.

I hate to just have the clock spring replaced (it is is in a likely spot in the steering wheel and several people have suggested this COULD be the problem) but it is expensive and some have also suggested that the steering wheel be taken apart and plastic trim pieces examined for binding/rubbing or even lubricating places in the steering column. It seems like there are a lot of possibilities.

I can't afford to fix this in a totally trial-by-error approach if anyone has knowledge that could help eliminate possibilities.

Is it worth having the steering wheel disassembled just to see if anything seems to be binding and then lubricate likely spots? Is lubrication going to damage things. Can one tell if the clock spring needs to be replaced if the steering wheel is opened up?

After much internet searching I have found several mentions of a similar noise and problem after work was done on the steering wheel. I did have to have the multi-function switch replaced about 18 months ago and the noise started the first hot day on a long drive after that. Coincidence or clue?

Another clue might be that the lexan (or whatever sort of plastic) instrument panel covering cracked from where it sits just above top of the steering column - the crack going up about 3 inches - and that happened on the same trip. I didn't connect the two things until just now, but it was in the 90s for about a week and we drove about 500 miles.

THis has all been complicated by the fact that SprintGuy is no longer nearby at a dealership and the Dodge dealer no longer has a Sprinter mechanic. I had hope to get the van to him last fall but family issues intervened.

I need a strategy. Any advice is appreciated.

Top Bottom