Highest mileage 3.0 V6 Diesel?

blownb310

Our 2008 Sprinter has 236-k miles on it. I 'd like to get a feel for how long the 3.0 liter V6 diesels are lasting. Wondering if we should try to get to 400-k or start thinking about a new one? Is 400-k a realistic goal?

I've read that the 5 cyl. inlines last longer?

What has your V6 experience been?

Mike

kendall69

It's not even broke in yet at 400K. If the Big three gas burners are getting 750K PLUS you should get that and a few hundred K more.

I peeked over the shoulder of a airport shuttle and the American made van had 750K miles on it. I said what's the secret. He said they have all manufacturers and they all have 600K and above, he said it's all about maintenance.

The mechanic that works on my big trucks has 850K on a gas Toyota Tundra.

On the other hand I have a 1995 HINO big truck and the engine and Transmission, differential, etc are all perfect, but the truck is "aging out" The seats are disintegrating, dash is cracked beyond repair, all the door handles, window cranks are all shot, but she still runs strong and never burns a drop of oil between changes.

SRT

Hi-Miler
285-290K miles on my two '08 3500s. Engines are OK, MPG not anywhere near as good as my old '05 2500 T1N (totaled in a crash, was still running great at 501K - R.I.P.) or my present '04 2500 T1N.

My biggest problems with the NCV3s have been constant issues with DPF/EGR, glow plugs, injectors, front suspension and steering, transmissions, heat and A/C, cracked wheels that won't hold air, and driveshafts.

My '04 with 220K still has original glow plugs, injectors, turbo, all front suspension and steering components, driveshaft, wheels, etc. - as did my '05 at 501K when it met its untimely demise. In the '05s last year of service (about 90K miles that year - from 410K to 501K), I spent only $3800 on maintenance and repair items. I can drop that on an NCV3 in one bad month - they're ALWAYS needing attention. ($$$)

My fleet will soon consist of all T1Ns with driver's side sliding doors. Without the worry of rust-out from road salt here in TN, I plan on running them until they literally fall apart... but that won't be anytime soon.

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
I put 200,000 (ish) miles on mine before I sold it and it had an oil sample done at each service. The samples showed no mechanical issues at all going on inside the engine. Mechanically I think The OM642 V6 is pretty stout.....as others have mentioned, the stuff they bolt on to it for the North American emission rules can be a lot of trouble...or not.

JY Appliance

285-290K miles on my two '08 3500s. Engines are OK, MPG not anywhere near as good as my old '05 2500 T1N (totaled in a crash, was still running great at 501K - R.I.P.) or my present '04 2500 T1N.

My fleet will soon consist of all T1Ns with driver's side sliding doors. Without the worry of rust-out from road salt here in TN, I plan on running them until they literally fall apart... but that won't be anytime soon.

A dealer in NJ is selling a 2006 dodge sprinter 2500 that they claim has only 3,008 miles They want $35,995 for it. www.doverdodge.com If its what your looking for.

lindenengineering

Yes Confirm
They are like Joe Frazer they are ones that go the distance and have minimal wheel stop time! Thye are the ones that rack up the trouble free miles! :thumbup:
Dennis

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
I have 222,000 miles on my 2007 3.0 diesel , it's never been reliable but some how now its over 200,000 it doesn't bother me as much.

I read on here about a guy who has 1.2million kms = about 750,000 miles on his

Was complaining about high fuel consumption, says he has not done too much outside of regular maintenance one dpf and a few sets of glow plugs

Seems the more you drive it, the further it will go!!

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64224

That's me, we just pulled the DPF to get it cleaned, thinking its plugging up again, so will see how it goes.

sleeper bird

right at 200,000 miles on my 08 high top,runs great 18mpg but a broke glow plug worries me at times when temp drops,luckily i live in the south.It has been expensive to keep up but ultimately i do like the old gal

Absalom

260,000 on mine. Runs great. We drive her hard, never idle, and ALL trips are over 20 minutes in length. I'm ready for any issues that may crop up.

Last edited:

dnshaf

I had 400,000 miles on my 07 V6 when I sold it! And 545,000 miles on my 4 cyl when I replaced the Engine. Maintenance is key and Oil Type.

Dan

Top Bottom