Is adding weight the only option for reducing noise on unpaved roads?

Eric Experience

Boxtrotter
What type of noise are you talking about. Drumming? tyre noise? road noise through suspension? All of these can be fixed by running low tyre pressures. Eric.

jtaylor

Noise dampening, insulation, and lower tire pressure=a smooth, quiet ride in the dirt. I run 25 psi in my 255-85-16 st maxx, works great off pavement

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I used that foil backed adhesive foam in some areas on my van. Its lightweight, it does cut down the road noise a bit. But recently I put in a layer of butyl rubber dynamat type stuff and the difference in noise reduction is massive. The stuff weighs a lot, around 3kg/m² for a sheet less than 2mm thick. Seems weight is king. Apparently if you run a foam layer then an isolated heavy layer it cuts sound even more effectively. I've just got the dynamat layer straight onto the metal to stop it vibrating/transmitting the sound. Might put a foam foil layer over it mainly for heat insulation.

This was done on the front doors BTW. Its really worthwhile doing those doors, huge difference in road noise.

Last edited:

NBB

Some tires are better than others. My OEM Continental tires were awful - Michelin LTE a huge improvement at the same tire pressure.

olyhillary

Mine has the continentals and the noise is fine on paved and unpaved, but we insulated the wheel wells with peel and stick and then covered them with Terrawagen's wheel well covers (which I highly recommend). Are yours insulated at all?

Top Bottom