generator replacement

Jay4868

has anyone replaced an Onan 2.8 generator lately and if so how much did it cost including installation?

RT.SS

Sorry, but I can’t answer your question, my 6 year old Onan, with 600+ hours on it is still running strong. I’m curious why you would replace your almost new Onan, did you have it diagnosed/ repaired? A very common problem with 2800 model is gummed up carburetor due to very little use.

Jay4868

Problem seems to be a broken governor? generator only has 17 hours on it however its just 3 years old. Campers Inn service manager is implying that it will more expensive to repair than replace. No definitave word yet however its been in their shop now for over 2 weeks. Im getting a bit anxious

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
If you Google around you'll find that an Onan 2800 goes for about $2,300. But it doesn't seem to make any sense that an almost new unit would be uneconomical to repair for anything short of a major and destructive internal failure. It may well be that they don't really know what's wrong and would rather replace it (at your expense) than continue to troubleshoot. If that is the case then it's time to take it to a more competent repair station.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
I agree with SMILLER. Seventeen hours and just over three years old. I think I'd be taking it to a qualified ONAN repair shop AND then have a conversation with ONAN. Just out of warranty, 17 hours and it's got a mechanical breakage????? Heck's Fire, it is not even broken in for the first oil change.

gte

2008 RS
I agree with Old Crows. A qualified Onan tech will give you a better evaluation. I had an idling problem when mine was new and it turned out to be someone had removed the inspection/oil change panel (which messes with the cooling and idle) and they had forgotten to replace it. Onan was going to give me a replacement but eventually we found mine under the seat.

icarus

If you Google around you'll find that an Onan 2800 goes for about $2,300. But it doesn't seem to make any sense that an almost new unit would be uneconomical to repair for anything short of a major and destructive internal failure. It may well be that they don't really know what's wrong and would rather replace it (at your expense) than continue to troubleshoot. If that is the case then it's time to take it to a more competent repair station.
The problem here is simply a bad service experience! These are pretty simple machines in many respects, so simple trouble shooting following conventional logic!

Is your issue poor running of the engine, or poor output from the genend?

Find a better service guy!

Icarus

Top Bottom