Basic Conversion

boardster

I purchased a Ford E-150 very basic conversion van brand new in '94.
My reasoning back then was that our family of two adults and three kids had outgrown the mini-van for our trips, and we needed something bigger.
The full size factory wagons were priced significantly higher than the simple conversions back then, and Ford was ahead of the big three pack at the time, so it was really a no brainer.
Years later, when I first saw a Sprinter , I KNEW that vehicle would eventually become our replacement.
I watched as the American built van conversion market became limited to the super luxury segment, and then finaly died.
Although I dream of one day retiring and traveling in an exquisite Sprinter based motorhome, for the time being room for the family, the boards (snowboards, surfboards, skimboards, skateboards, longboards, sailboards, and just plain old boards) and the rest of our stuff is all we need.
Now that the Ford is on it's last legs, I'm planning on a '07 Sprinter, and am
finding that the basic conversion market is also non-existant.
I'm deciding between a wagon and removing most benches, or a cargo and doing it myself.
Am I missing something, or are there companies out there doing basic conversions for people friendly cargo Sprinters?

chaozz

If your pretty handy i would do it your self and save a ton of cash.
you would need to look into if you can get a cargo with dual air.
I think if you special order you can get anyway you want
just takes 6 months.
hope they put nicer seats in the 07

boardster

If your pretty handy i would do it your self and save a ton of cash.

I've got the skills and the tools, but not the time. The great thing about the basic conversions of the 80's and early '90's was that they were mostly done in Indiana, at low cost and high quality. Materials alone would have cost me more than the completed conversion.
These days all I see is real leather, fine wood, high-end electronics, etc.
I guess what I'm looking for is just the insulation and easy to keep clean panels, windows with screens,maybe a roof vent with fan, and some simple seating at an "affordable" price point.
My kids and I would trash a "nice" interior in no time, and my wife would rather have the "good stuff" earmarked for our house.
I don't mind paying for the labor, but I don't want anything fancy.
The wagon would do the job, but I really don't need all those seats and would prefer windows that open and are screened.

boardster

ANY THING IS POSSIBLE, AT A COST! SUCH AS A BECKER UNIT! HAVE YOU A QUARTER OF A MIL! FOR THE BASIC PACKAGE?
RICHARD

I'm a basic kind of guy. IF I had the 1/4 mil, I would buy a stripped 4 place aircraft instead. 200 MPH, 15 gallons/hour.
Why anybody would want to travel by road in that type of luxury instead of by air in a fraction of the time is something I never understood.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Somewhare on this forum I saw a story about a guy in England who bought a trailer (caravan) that had been damaged in an accident and he took the insides out and built a conversion in a box van. It sounds like a good way to get a lot of the basic parts needed for a conversion.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
ANY THING IS POSSIBLE, AT A COST! SUCH AS A BECKER UNIT! HAVE YOU A QUARTER OF A MIL! FOR THE BASIC PACKAGE?
RICHARD

I'm a basic kind of guy. IF I had the 1/4 mil, I would buy a stripped 4 place aircraft instead. 200 MPH, 15 gallons/hour.
Why anybody would want to travel by road in that type of luxury instead of by air in a fraction of the time is something I never understood.

Well the vehicle is propelled by twin air:laughing: I Guess some folk who have the cash, can afford the style that goes with it! In a way I am my own worst enemy as to the fact as much as I'd like to trick out the back of my van and I also have the knowledge and equipment to do the wood. plastic fantastic wounder thing, with all of the gadgets! I like you, have not the time to do it, so a chair and a portable fridge and 11K Gen gets me through a week end "WHEN I have the Time" as I love to go into the out back looking at the unexplored beauty, of My island Down Under!.
Back to the subject, You need a plan as to the specifics of what basics you require, and to how much you budget may be?
Let us know and we will give you lots of wounderfull ideas, you may even get me motivated to fit out a portable slide out interior for mine as it is a working vehicle.
You know the side of the vans panels have a deep recess, look at the Becker layout that's not too hard to do. maybe no where as fancy, but nest little pocket book cubbyhole's work great for the hideaway items that only come out once in a while.
What happened to the 70's type fit outs?
Richard:thumbup:

Last edited:

boardster

What happened to the 70's type fit outs?
Richard:thumbup:
In the early seventies all my buddies were just putting port holes in the rear sides, insulating and paneling the ceiling and walls, throwing shag carpet and padding on the floor, and tossing in a matress.
By the later seventies all I saw were aftermarket conversions that all had a rear bench that folded into a bed, and sliding screens at the bottom of the large windows. Dodge, Chevy, Ford, didn't matter, all conversions were the same and alot cheaper than the factory wagons.
As an example, my '94 E-150 was converted in Ft.Wayne Indiana on spec for a dealer in Michigan, who had over 50 of them on his lot at the time.
Windows, screens, sun shades plus dark shades, full carpet and insulation, nice wood console and trim, cup holders everywhere, recessed kleenex box, 4 captains chairs, one bench that converts to a bed, nice interior lighting all over, running boards, full tint, all put into a nice V-8 and full power package for......$18,000 U.S in Nov '94 (the converter worked slow I guess)
Last year, the cheapest Ford conversion I could find was $50,000, and was loaded with luxury that I didn't want. The equivalent factory wagon was $27,000 at a good deal. (around invoice).
The dealer was the largest volume conversion van seller in the country for decades, and now has ONE left and is getting out of the segment.
I also don't want to use my spare time to do the job, I'd rather leave that to the pros, but I guess there is no longer any large volume basic converting being done,thus keeping the costs very high for a custom ordered unit.
Looks like I'll just have to git 'er done myself!

I did mine my self. I wanted the ability to take the stuff out, so I designed around that. I got a 04 cargo 158 high top, with all the bells and whistles. If I had to do it over again I would order one to my specs. Like the headliner, I ordered all the stock panels and put those in after I wired everything. I also cut out all the side windows and put in the stock black tinted ones, that was a real pain, would order with them already in. The side panels I made from scratch, all I need is to cover them yet. I found 2 front seats on ebay that match mine. So there is my 4 captain chairs. I built 2 benches for each side then got cushions made. Got a small fridge, porti-poti, and picked up a 36" kitchen cabinate at lowes and layed carpet. I am still fine tuning but works great. I used nutserts to attach things to the side of the van so all I need to do is unbolt and I can pull every thing out in about 15 min. except the other 2 captain chairs through bolted them. My to do list is dwindling down, just in time to get a new style :lol: I hope. The quirks with cargo is the small things like had to order the kick cover for the sliding door step. Mine came with provisions for a partition, so I had to cut that away and need to order new B-post covers so it covers everything. And still need to order rear covers that cover the tail light posts, that will finish it off. I use mine as a dayly driver and go camping alot and works great. After a year and half found that I have yet to pull anything out, so if I do get a new one I would change some things. If I do get a new one, I would probably go with the super long and super high. I don't forsee having to much trouble with parking, I can always walk farther. With the more room, I could put in a shower, and build in a dresser for clothing.

boardster

If I do get a new one, I would probably go with the super long and super high. I don't forsee having to much trouble with parking, I can always walk farther. With the more room, I could put in a shower, and build in a dresser for clothing.

I can see the extra length, but the height? What will the mega-high do besides wreak havoc with your high speed cruise fuel bill? You could still have a shower and dresser with the mid-height version.
Overhead storage would increase utility I guess.
How many miles are on the current one and why do you want to start all over again before you've even finished the first?

Well this one is almost finished. From what I understand the new ones are getting the same MPG. I drive at 67 MPH and I am getting 25 MPG. I have about 18000 miles. Well, overhead storage and I would build a drop down sleeping area for my daughter, the 6' height doesn't have enough due to the windows.

Top Bottom