trimetric battery monitor shunt install??

Jay4868

Once again I will exhibit my electrical ignorance and plead for help. I am installing a widely recommended trimetric battery monitor and I cant figure how to install the shunt. While the instructions show it installed on the negative side of the battery bank it also shows a bunch or other cables installed to that same battery post. (I have a 2013 Agile with two 6 volt house batteries) In my case the battery bank has only one cable exiting the negative terminal to the chassis frame. No other grounds for the input from the solar system or the inverter. I have attached a picture. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Joe M

Attachments

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Yes, that diagram is horrible.

Here's the rule:
--If you have more than one battery, the ground wires that go to the other batteries should be on the battery side of the shunt.
--Any and all other grounds should go on the chassis side of the shunt. If there is only one such wire, that's fine. It just means that they are broken out later on in the circuit.

Jay4868

Thanks for your reply. does that mean that the ground connection for other items (solar and inverter are located at another point before the bhouse batteries and the shunt mounted between the single chassis ground and the negative pole of the battery bank will work??

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The idea is all current must flow through the shunt. If the shunt is the only path between the negative terminal of the battery and the rest of the system, then the Trimetric will "see" all current in/out of the battery. So, yes, if the stated criterion is met, then any device anywhere that is drawing from or adding to the battery will be accounted for.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Oops.. looks like you might want to check for critters living inside your hood insulation, by the looks of that picture!

Top Bottom