incorrect pillar label (tire size and pressure)

autostaretx

Erratic Member
they replied with an apology and sent new pillar stickers via Fedex to me.
One can only wonder at the legal liability (both negligence to the potentially-financially-injured owner and Federal Regs they busted) incurred by the incorrect stickers...

--dick

gte

2008 RS
One can only wonder at the legal liability (both negligence to the potentially-financially-injured owner and Federal Regs they busted) incurred by the incorrect stickers...

--dick
The stickers are one thing but the weight of the vehicle and CCC inconsistencies are quite another

gte

2008 RS
The weight and tire door stickers are one thing but the weight of the vehicle and CCC inconsistencies are quite another.
I might understand a clerical error on the door tag but the weight capacity is poor

8string

Pacific NW Guy
Ok. So while old, this is somewhat relevant to my newer question. My wife and I are debating the issue of tire pressure and what cold means.

I have a compressor at home, so can fill my tires to the right temperature before leaving. I have a 2007 RT Adventuress. The pillar says 55 Front and 80 rear. So ignoring whether those are correct for the moment, I assume I fill my tires to those specs before driving. After I've driven a while, the dash can show the tire pressure. Obviously, the pressure will be higher than those amounts when the tire is hot.

Up until now, we have been driving with the tires 'under inflated' before being heated, and the dash shows this. The tires will show at 70 or maybe 75 when I first get a reading, and as I drive them they reach 80 and hold there. Same with the front set. Maybe starts at 45 and raises to 55.

Now that I have the compressor, I can actually set the tires to their correct cold rating, which is at 55 and 80 respectfully. However, this now means they will be higher than that once on the road.

What is the correct situation? Should I fill to 80 (if that's actually correct, your post here seems to show it isn't), while cold and drive with the tire at say 90 according to the dash?

Obviously, temperature affects this situation. A cold tire, meaning in a cold climate, will compress the gas more, and a hot air condition will expand it. So if I've not driven the van for a week, and the air temp is 35. The pressure might be showing at a lower pressure (40 maybe rather than 45 at 'cold' gauge).

So what's the right thing to do here?

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Ok My wife and I are debating the issue of tire pressure and what cold means.

Obviously, temperature affects this situation. A cold tire, meaning in a cold climate,No!
Cold means a rested tire/ceased from exertion or action, a tire that does not have any residue/left over heat! Check the air pressure befor you drive.

My Sprinters pillar label Calls out 61psi Front and 55psi Rear. Which I use.

One time a Mercedes Benz of Rocklin adjusted my rear tire air pressure to 60psi with out my knowledge, I had the Sprinter in for transmission fluid change.
One mile down the road, just as I am pull onto the number one lane of the freeway I notice that the Van is ever so slightly wandering/ searching for direction.
I think to myself, I bet they adjusted my tire air pressure? …. The Invoice is sitting on the passinger seat so I pick It up to see.
There at the bottom of the Ivoice, it reads Preformed Courtesy 13point safty inspection, along with a free tire inspection and recored tire pressures @ 60 rear, 60 Front. Performed a freecar wash aswell.
Well I drove it like that for a week befor I readjusted them. Just saying, 5 lbs was noticeable.

2008 3500 170" 3.0L cargo van not a Roadtrek!

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So what's the right thing to do here?
Fill the tires (when cold) to the recommended pressures.
All of the placards and molded numbers on the tire are for cold.
They already have the safety factors built in to handle hot.

Your outside ambient temperature doesn't affect this... fill with the tires at ambient
(yes, this means there'll be "more air" in there on cold days... you'll have to bleed in the summer)

The tire will get warmer by a (pretty much) fixed amount (let's say 50 F) when you're driving.
On hot days, it'll go from 90 F to 140 F. On cold days it'll go from 20 F to 70 F.
But the change will still only be 50 F, which the cold-inflation numbers can handle.

PV=kT deals with Temperature in degrees Kelvin (where zero is Absolute Zero, -273 C, - 459 F) ...
so the difference from 90 F to 140 F (305 K to 333 K) is only a 10% effect.
As a 10% effect, that means an 80 PSI cold tire will only rise to 88 PSI when hot.

--dick

Top Bottom