engine spinning over, no start.

mell2018

I'm new member and first post.
I recently purchased an 03 3500 170" van dodge labeled.
178K miles, no blowby, no oil consumption.
Engine spins over well, but will not start without a spray of starting fluid. After
starting, it runs well, seems to have plenty of power, does not miss or hesitate.
It does the same thing on starting whether cold or hot. I've only driven it about
200 miles, but when I cut it off, it would not start just by spinning engine over.
I guess this model has glow plugs, and they were probably burned up by last owner
using starting fluid. My experience with diesels,( cummins, international, Cat, and Gm)
is once engine is warm, it would restart.

This Mercedes engine 5 cyl will not. I'm wondering it anyone else has had a similar
problen or if anyone can give me a hint on where to start diagnosing.

Thanks in advance,
Mell

lindenengineering

Mell
Based upon what you have stated my first thoughts spring to mind that you have excessive leak through on one or more injectors.
Spraying ether into the engine speeds up the crank speed which allows the FIE fuel system to reach the required discharge nozzle atomization pressure and off it runs--'til the next time!

You can do a rudimentary leak off test to determine which injectors(s) are affected to confirm .
Search for doing a leak off test this forum archive.
All the best
Dennis

First let me extend to you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. welcome2.gif

Your model Sprinter OM612 engine can suffer air leaks in the low pressure fuel system. Another common malady is the fuel rail solenoid O-rings leaking internally.

I would first look for air bubbles in the clear fuel line while cranking. If noticed correct that first. If none seen, check the fuel rail pressure is at least 2900 psi while cranking. Low fuel rail pressure will prevent reliable starting.

vic

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Mell, your fuel pressure is too low. Do the leak off test to see if the problem is your injectors. Also look for bubbles in the fuel line going from the fuel filter to the high pressure pump. They are a common problem that will lower fuel pressure. The ECU has to see a certain fuel pressure to allow the engine to start.
If your injectors check out ok and the fuel line is free of bubbles, then its probably your high pressure fuel pump.

mell2018

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the replies. I will do a fuel pressure check. I had read that it could be low pressure, but hadn't got to that point. Someone else told me it could be a sensor in the common rail
Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 50714

Off topic but mentioned in thread. Clarification requested about the use of starting fluid on diesels, good/bad? Some say bad, some say use WD-40? Would WD-40 contaminate air plenum sensors?

surlyoldbill

Off topic but mentioned in thread. Clarification requested about the use of starting fluid on diesels, good/bad? Some say bad, some say use WD-40? Would WD-40 contaminate air plenum sensors?
I've always heard NO NO NO! But in an emergency, SMALL amount can be used. Not dripping off like a rainstorm as I've done with my Corvair.

tinman

My understanding (such as it is) is that it is potentially harmful and dangerous on diesels with glow plugs. I think that ether starts were s.o.p. on older diesels in cold climes. And on 1960 VW bugs.

I've seen reports that the new(er) formula WD40 is not as good a starting aid as it once was. It may be propellant choice. At one time aerosol products used propane as a propellant. Other less flammable gases are more common now.

vic

Welcome to the forum Mel! :cheers: When I first bought my T1N, you'd have to wait about 30 minutes after turning van off before it would restart. Replaced MAP sensor and it fixed the problem.

D

Deleted member 50714

I'm new member and first post.[/B]
I recently purchased an 03 3500 170" van dodge labeled.
178K miles, no blowby, no oil consumption.

Engine spins over well, but will not start without a spray of starting fluid. After
starting, it runs well, seems to have plenty of power, does not miss or hesitate.
It does the same thing on starting whether cold or hot. I've only driven it about
200 miles, but when I cut it off, it would not start just by spinning engine over.

I guess this model has glow plugs, and they were probably burned up by last owner using starting fluid. My experience with diesels,(cummins, international, Cat, and Gm)
is once engine is warm, it would restart.

This Mercedes engine 5 cyl will not. I'm wondering it anyone else has had a similar
problen or if anyone can give me a hint on where to start diagnosing.

Thanks in advance,
Mell
OPINION

The following is offered unaware of your knowledge and expertise. Since, you recently purchased the vehicle the logical starting point, before commencing diagnosis, is to inspect the heart of the electrical system, the battery. Especially European vehicles, notoriously well-known for frail electrics and with age become geriatric.

Modern vehicle's electron consumers are a finicky bunch, insisting on gorging a steady supply of electrons of consistent quality and if they don't, they can get lazy, bitchy and can start throwing fits.

A Meticulous inspection of all Battery related components, i.e. terminals, wires, posts, etc. Particularly, all grounding points is imperative. How old is the battery? Load test at local part store. I recommend OEM replacement based only on personal preference YMMV.

Good luck and please keep the forum informed about your progress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7BHBGY5xQ&app=desktop

Last edited by a moderator:

mell2018

I Checked it today, and have bubbles in clear line running from fuel filter to HPP . Are these coming from it sucking air somewhere at filter? There is no visible leaks at filter, not wet or anything. What is necessary to fix this first? It will start anytime with just a touch of starting fluid.

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
It probably won't leak fuel, it's under suction, not pressurized. Check all hose clamps/fittings from HPP to fuel filter, this is most likely problem area imo. It's possible that you have a pinhole in the hose from the filter to the tank, too, but less likely.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
It's actually a very common problem with the om612 engines. Instead of having a pusher fuel pump in the tank, they have a sucker pump in the front of the engine that has to suck fuel all the way from the tank, through the orifice filled filter and then up to the pump. This system encourages leaks like you are experiencing. It is most likely at your fuel filter. Search the forum for "bubbles in fuel line" and you will get lots of info. I always use the European filters without the drain valve and bleeder valve. This greatly decreases the available holes in the filter that air can leak through.

Top Bottom