front speaker replacement

dbradley

Has anyone RECENTLY changed the front speakers in their van. I have an 04 and just replaced the head and now am doing speakers. I have read most of the threads from previous owners....what I have found is that the speakers they used (Blaupunkt PCxb402, Rockford Fosgate HPC1204 etc) have been discontinued by manufacturer. Instead of just ordering speakers and hoping the grills will fit is something I am not willing to do so was hoping somebody had some RECENT install experience with a speaker that they know fits. Thanks Dave

Come on TJuhl I know you know the answer.:smilewink:

surlyoldbill

VR3 4" speakers from Walmart. $24/pair, HUGE improvement over stock speakers. Break off 3 of the 4 tabs and they fit perfectly, even have the same size slip on connecters as the stock wiring. I put a pair in a few weeks ago. (take off snap-in A-pillar, lift speaker cover from outer edge, gently pry up speaker...10 minute job)

JamesM

Could you please give more info on VR3 4" speaker from walmart? I was unable to find in store orn walmart site--or any where else. Only something called Boss 4"

surlyoldbill

They probably don't stock the same things in all stores, or I bought them at Pep Boys, but I'm pretty sure it was Walmart.

dbradley

Just picked up a pair at Walmart for $24, VR3 4" 3-way's. Can't remember the name of the mother company but very clearly marked VR3. Thx for the help Surly

surlyoldbill

You'll see that you have to snap off three of the four tabs to install it. It doesn't need screws or anything, it just fits in the hole with the remaining tab in the "wide" spot to prevent it from moving around. I suppose you could use a little double stick tape or a hold-down screw overlapping the edge if you're worried about them rattling, mine haven't.

glasseye

Just picked up a pair at Walmart for $24, VR3 4" 3-way's. Can't remember the name of the mother company but very clearly marked VR3. Thx for the help Surly
Awaiting your evaluation of how good the new speakers sound, dbradley.
Wanna see if you love the new sound before I invest the grand sum of $24:crazy:

topless

Wichita, KS
A couple of years ago I bought Rockford Fosgate T142C speakers. Clipped off a tab and they fit just fine, I used some putty tape to stick them in place and make sure they don't rattle. The stock radio and speakers in these vans are a joke. I've never seen such an expensive vehicle with a $10 radio and $5 speakers. And the cheap radio has a security code! What a joke.

dbradley

Clipped the 3 tabs aff and used the factory connections and the just slipped right in like factory. As of yet do not seem to be making any unusual rattling and definetely better than the paper cone ones made in Hungary. These are 3 way poly with a 100W rating, mother company out in midwest I think but speakers actually made in China:thumbdown:. Come with full warranty and at $24 how can you go wrong.

Hoppingmad

Clipped the 3 tabs aff and used the factory connections and the just slipped right in like factory. As of yet do not seem to be making any unusual rattling and definetely better than the paper cone ones made in Hungary. These are 3 way poly with a 100W rating, mother company out in midwest I think but speakers actually made in China:thumbdown:. Come with full warranty and at $24 how can you go wrong.
But you didn't say they make the beckers radio sound better.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoppingmad

sound 10
yep thats the bugger
mine doesn't sound bad full blast, windows down, 70 mph, next to a semi using a jake brake.
Might have sounded better if they'd put the speakers in the door, or it least I think in the door a better place for replacements. Bouncing off the windshield, to the tall roof, back to my ears probably destroys what little sound the thing had to start with.
To bad the radio in my fords a 2din

Smoky Pond

VR3 4" speakers from Walmart. $24/pair, HUGE improvement over stock speakers. Break off 3 of the 4 tabs and they fit perfectly, even have the same size slip on connecters as the stock wiring. I put a pair in a few weeks ago. (take off snap-in A-pillar, lift speaker cover from outer edge, gently pry up speaker...10 minute job)
Thanks for the tip surlyoldbill! I installed the VR3's last night. What an improvement. They do a good job of offsetting the image produced by my Kenwood speakers mounted in the cabinets over my head (fader control biased 2 clicks to the front). I replaced the Becker with a JVC KD-HDR1 last year. My next step will be to install a Boss Audio BOSS600 8" powered subwoofer ($115 U.S. from Amazon) under the passengers seat.

-Matt

vondiesel

I disconected the front speakers all together and ran a new system comming out of this contraption Scosche SLC4 Four-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com. Sound is unbeleivable now.

Smoky Pond

I disconected the front speakers all together and ran a new system comming out of this contraption Scosche SLC4 Four-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com. Sound is unbeleivable now.
OK. We're holding our breath. Where did you mount the speakers and what speakers did you use? Does it produce a decent frontal sound image that can be heard easily from the front seat position at 75 MPH?

vondiesel

OK. We're holding our breath. Where did you mount the speakers and what speakers did you use? Does it produce a decent frontal sound image that can be heard easily from the front seat position at 75 MPH?
These were taken out of older cars I have owned, the fronts are 5" vibes, in the box is a 12" fosgate sub and 6x9 vibe 600 watt vibe amp runs through the scosche 4 channel converter. I have 2006 sprinter with the sound 30 this took1.5hr. to hook up sounds better than my alpine. As far as 75 on the freeway next to a semi you won't even know he's there. Be carefull!

Attachments

Top Bottom