Being rushed to sign on the dotted line. HELP!

Travylcouple

We have made the decision to get the Thor Citation Sr 2016. We were torn between this and the prism and have decided to go with the Thor. I will admit that this forum has scared us to death about the "potential" challenges that come with a new RV.

So- Camping World Rep. is driving right now to another facility to pick up the unit and will be in town by 4pm today and they want us to come and do the finances this eve. Of course, this isnt going to happen until we understand what it means to buy the unit without a pre-inspection.

i understand that we will be doing a post purchase inspection but we don't want to sign on the dotted line until everything we find upon a pre-inspection is taken care of.

Is this a reasonable asuumption or are we safe with the post inspection only?

Any advice is welcome!!!! Feel free to direct me to a thread. right now we are depending only on blogs for some information.

Pamela and Keith

Viperml

Do not sign anything until you are satisfied.
You are the consumer and they are the seller.
if the seller does not respect your wishes then move on and buy when you are ready.
Why would you let someone pressure you to do something you do not want to do?

chromisdesigns

Take as long as you need, and tell them to have their techs inspect it first and make sure every is working BEFOREHAND , then you start.

You have the upper hand until you sign, then they do. Use your advantage!

icarus

If you are not 100% happy with the deal, don't succumb to pressure sales...in fact I would seek out another dealer!

Icarus

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
The pre-inspection should be performed before the sale is completed, and included as a part of the sale documentation so it is binding. The dealer knows this and you should insist on it. If this insistence endangers the sale in any way then find another dealer, fast.

I agree with all the previous comments.

Also remember this. They may be selling upscale RV's, but they are still basically just car salesmen. Trust them as you would with any car sale used or new.

vic

Travylcouple

We are going to look,inpect at it tommorow and since it is sunday there is no one in the finance office. We told them we would return on thursday to finish financial negotiations. Thanks for helping us keep our head on straight.

OkieNAz

Randy
I did not go through my new RV thoroughly when we made our 2014.5 SA purchase.

I have sure learned a lot about RV's in the last year +.

Just take your time looking at/under/over/behind everything. Make sure EVERYTHING is in good working order BEFORE you sign anything.

We love our RV "NOW", but we sure had a rough start to our RV'ing. Issues started from day one.

The Thor Service guys are great. Hope you don't have to use them.

Okie

ksrow

What ever you do look at the following.
Take a good Flashlight and don't be afraid to take pictures with you cell phone of items that need resolved.(you will need them to use in any dispute after the sale)

Look under the coach for hanging wires and clamps
On pipes etc (on your back and eyes open for anything that looks loose or out of place)

Try all doors drawers closet latches (look for easy use and smooth fit and finish. Pull the drawers out and look under and behind with flash light is it clean or is there sawdust trash extra screws missing screws etc. If your coach is equipped with heated tanks look at the bottom of the tanks behind the rear wheels on the drivers side and make sure the pads are actually there. Ours weren't they put them on when I discovered they were not there before a winter trip.

Check all plumbing fixtures for stability (are they tight and firm or loose)

Check all electrical light switches and electrical components for good working order

Try all tvs stereo equip satellite or cable equip for operations.

Look at all trim for loose attachment, staples/screws sticking out look up at the ceiling and down at the floor for fit and finish.

Sit in all chairs seats and on the toilet for fit stability comfort.

Lay down on bed as if you are looking to buy a new mattress.

When you open the outside basement doors look at all hinge and opener screws for fit and finish and ease of closure. Open all access panels in and out of the coach and inspect for trash bad connections loose clamps etc. again use your eyes, ears, hands with a flashlight. Does everything look right, is that the way YOU would expect it to be done?

Try out all appliances Stove, microwave, etc. where reasonable and turn on Heat and Air to check for heat and cold air. put your hand in front of each vent to check for air flow ESPECIALLY the front vents over the front bed if it has that option(Over the Cab). If they didn't install the venting properly there will be little or no air flow.

Open and try all ceiling vent units, do they work, open and close smoothly, run quietly?

Get up on the roof and inspect all of the seals etc.

Inspect he chassis and body for fit and finish paint quality etc.

I think you are getting the point. Each unit is different and each manufacturer has its own process. It is up to you to prove the unit worthy of your money. Don't be pushed into buying a coach until you are absolutely happy with all aspects.

The guys that sell these make a good commission to get you to spend that money. They work for the dealer and the dealer is a customer of the manufacturer. Make them earn that commission and make sure all is to your satisfaction BEFORE you sign that contract or at least a list of the repairs/updates required signed by the sales manager is in your hands.

Also, if you are buying a coach with duel rear wheals make sure it has valve extensions installed for all six wheels. You don't want to be crawling around on your back trying to check tire pressures in the wet or cold

Insist that the following be included in the sale after you negotiate the price.
Tire valve stem extenders
Sewer hose and connectors
Fresh water hose
Roof top vent covers( so you can leave ceiling vents open in the rain)
We also had them change out all of the basement key sets to a better quality dual sided key because the cheap ones that come on the unit are used by everyone...You should only have two sets of keys for the coach one for the basement and storage and the pair for the side doors.
Don't be afraid to ask for anything else you think you might want..... to get them to close the deal. They are selling you not the other way around.

It is the time of the year when sales are very slow. Our unit had a list price of $122k we negotiated the price down to $84k from their asking price of $98k. And bought the 3 year extended warranty. Do NOT let them sell you the interior and exterior paint treatment as it is a waste of money (a spray on scam) and you can pay someone a couple of hundred dollars a year to detail and wax your coach. I hope this is helpful, but the main point is all of this is easy before the sale and IMPOSSIBLE after.. Go on line and look at the "special" pricing across the nation for the particular coach you are looking for and use that as the basis for your negations. Even the special prices can be negotiated down..

Good Luck
Steve

Travylcouple

Thanks to everyone for empowing us. Big purchase and a new world is opening for us.

We go this upcoming thursday for the official inspection and feel almost ready.

Thanks Again!

Pamela and Keith

OldSteve

Probably too late but if you read this before doing your inspection, be sure and check the furnace and A/C. If you've read the posts on this forum the A/C is a real sore point with several. For mine, I get essentially NO air at the front ducts and in 100+ degree weather just seems like it just plain can't keep up. Gets hot and humid in GA so you'll want that A/C working.

On another item, I ended up having the dealer replace almost all of the seals around the slides. I could literally see daylight coming through the rear slide, bottom, when the sun was shinning on the back. On a cold night had to put blankets on the floor behind the driver's seat when the side slide was out because of the cold air leakage.

ksrow

Probably too late but if you read this before doing your inspection, be sure and check the furnace and A/C. If you've read the posts on this forum the A/C is a real sore point with several. For mine, I get essentially NO air at the front ducts and in 100+ degree weather just seems like it just plain can't keep up. Gets hot and humid in GA so you'll want that A/C working.

On another item, I ended up having the dealer replace almost all of the seals around the slides. I could literally see daylight coming through the rear slide, bottom, when the sun was shinning on the back. On a cold night had to put blankets on the floor behind the driver's seat when the side slide was out because of the cold air leakage.
There is no insulation between the fiberglass shell and the inside panels.

Do not take ceiling down as I did as it is not necessary and a real pain in the butt to put back up properly. I had the tool s and my son to help. There is insulation at the top.

You will need to take out the side and front panels as one piece as they are screwed together. Use 3M spray adhesive to attach Reflectix (Home Depot)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574

to both the back of the panels and the inside of the fiberglass. Takes about half a day. Makes all the difference in the world and the air conditioner actually shuts off in the sun. I also ordered Heat Shield reflective pads for the windshield and the driver passenger windows. They are on Amazon for about $70 total.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VPO80DE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTCZK8Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

They fit well and eliminate the need to use the cheap curtain while allowing you to use all of the cab space. As for air flow up front the hoses are crushed where they come out of the air plenum because they used to much hose. Your dealer should fix that as the lower air unit must come down. Also, if you close the main cabin vent after it cools down so that all air is forced through the ceiling vents that helps as well as making the cabin air quieter. Hope this is helpful.

This is really a full day job and if you are not handy I would have the dealer do it but it was fun for me and the result is well worth the time and effort. Another benefit is that the coach rides quieter with the added insulation as well.
Steve

Top Bottom