Power step

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
Tonight when the powered side door step extended, it sounded dry or dragging. On retracting it's quiet. Is there any areas that need periodic lube? I can't bend down to see and will have to hire someone but I want to be informed. Thanks

Last edited:

gte

2008 RS
I lubricate mine once a year with some
grease. I also notice it makes more noise
after being on a gravel road.
Gary
2008 RS

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
Gary, thanks for the reply, are there guides or slides that need lubing? Note, I had to correct my initial post, it said "powered side door" when it should of been "powered side door step", my whoops.

Steve

Last edited:

icarus

The step operates on a simple, reversing worm gear jack screw. The step is problematic in that the slides get junk on them, and indeed gravel, sand and stones get between the step and the running board. It is a good idea to lower the step a few mm so thre is more clearance between the step and the running board. The step is mounted on a number of lengths of ready rod, and can be lowered by losing the nuts and lowering it, then retightening the nuts. Spraying off the step with a hose to cler the crap is a good idea. I have a hose bib plumbed by the step with a short hose and nozzle to do this.

Also, a disarm switch, (chronicled elsewhere in this forum) is a good idea, so that it doesn't open when it is covered with crap.

Icarus

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
Thanks for the information and suggestions! I'll have the step lowered. Does the worm gear need lubing (is it exposed) as well?

gte

2008 RS
Gary, thanks for the reply, are there guides or slides that need lubing? Note, I had to correct my initial post, it said "powered side door" when it should of been "powered side door step", my whoops.

Steve
Steve,
I think Icaurs covered this but my step has a square tube affair on each side which I wipe off and grease when extended and the gear too. Spaying off is a good idea too.
Gary

icarus

Steve,
I think Icaurs covered this but my step has a square tube affair on each side which I wipe off and grease when extended and the gear too. Spaying off is a good idea too.
Gary
That is correct!

Icarus

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
I had my son lube the square tubes while extended but I'll try to see if this weekend I can get the worm drive lubed....thanks!

Steve

trek130

2014 -2500 here noticed the sliding step "noise" last week.
Snow ,ice ,sludge around here lately .
Applied lithium grease .
Working fine now

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Greases attract and hold dirt and crap. Really bad under the RV! I use the spray dry teflon lube like you use on slideout mechanisms.

Top Bottom