Cabinet door latch breakage. Roadtrek Adventurous

PMorris

Found and purchased some of the latches that PA Slammer recommended. I second the recommendation. They are easy to install, and open and close easily. I left the OEM latches in place but rotated the the latch itself 180 degrees so the catch faces away from the cabinet opening. I removed the original cabinet-side raised component to make room for the new retainer thingamajiggy. Thus the original look is retained from the outside. Not all of my latches are problematic, so I'm replacing them as a problem arises.

fitztwo

The latch on the bathroom door broke. Of course the catch is different than cabinets, with a drilled out recess for the plastic latch body and a metal plate catch. Anybody come up with a fix for this one?

RT.SS

First, welcome to the forum. The metal catch is different from the cabinet catches, but the plastic latch are all the same (at least on ours). Just replace the plastic latch, you can either get it from RT dealers or from the ebay link posted above. Good luck.

Found and purchased some of the latches that PA Slammer recommended. I second the recommendation. They are easy to install, and open and close easily. I left the OEM latches in place but rotated the the latch itself 180 degrees so the catch faces away from the cabinet opening. I removed the original cabinet-side raised component to make room for the new retainer thingamajiggy. Thus the original look is retained from the outside. Not all of my latches are problematic, so I'm replacing them as a problem arises.
Can you upload a quick picture - I can't figure out how you used them in the upper cabinets....several more of mine have broken and the only source for the original is on ebay and is wicked expensive - http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Bus-Trai...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19efd25c6d&vxp=mtr

Has anyone found the manufacturer of the little black plastic hook for the push latches on the RS and CS adventurous for 2012-14?

Lenfagan

I have a 2014 CS Adventurous. No broken latches but my frustration is the cabinets are stuck and require a lot of force from bottom. Seems worse in cold than when warm but still issue. The hanger closet the worse.
The draws in galley area and lower cabinet under sink no problem.
Len

Davydd

http://roadtreking.com/adjusting-cabinet-latches-on-roadtrek/
This gives a pretty good idea of how to adjust. Also suggested is lubrication but NOT WD40. Dry bike chain lube is best they say.
Basically, Wendland's and Campskunk's piece on fixing latches is due to the latch with a flat point locking like a deadbolt because of expansion of the wood doors through temperature and humidity change. Then Wendland has another video where he adds after market magnets to keep the doors from opening when do they work properly. You can't win either way. You would think after publishing two videos that Roadtrek would get the hint and fix the situation.

Lenfagan

The video on adjusting the latch solves problem. They now work better and open easily.
You would think Roadtrek would include in vehicle manual.
Len

n2trout

n2trout
I have the exact same latches (http://www.armstronglocks.com/push-knob-with-a-spring-latch-5100z.html) on my 2014 Agile as PA Slammer. Five striking plates have broken and I have replaced most under warranty but it is a pain to take it to the dealer to do that. I sourced the latches and found they are distributed by Richelieu Hardware (USA and Canada) but are manufactured in Taiwan by Armstrong Locks. (wwwarmstronglocks.com) (info15@armstronglock.com.tw) I emailed them and they were very helpful, understanding and concerned over the problem. Armstrong Locks is a manufacturer and does not sell small quantities directly to the public. The offered to send me some replacement striking plates free for latch #5100Z as long as I supplied a FedEx or similar account number to pay the shipping. I also suggested they make the striking plates available to US distributors as an available part. I also was led to believe they are concerned about the problem, were unaware of the problem and are eager to remedy the problem.

n2trout

n2trout
Follow up on broken striking plates (5100Z) from the manufacturer, Armstrong Locks. I hope this helps others who have had this problem:

"I have passed your idea to Richelieu to see if they could offer this striking plate in the future.

They told me that you could contact your local Richelieu distribution center:
http://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/statique/index.php?page=localisation "

“The striking plate can be ordered through our Special Order program. You just need to specify what you are looking for and Richelieu will place the order.”

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Wow! Great! Followed the adjustment procedure and it worked like a champ on a couple of problem doors.

I know, I should have seen that in the manual, but there's just so much one can absorb before overload… I'm thinking it would have been nice if there had been a small sticker applied to the insides of the doors near the latch to explain the simple adjustment procedure to those push-button latches, you know, like "To raise door/loosen latch turn screw CW, to lower door turn CCW."

Speaking of manuals, about the third time I went through the reams of material we'd been given when we bought our Agile, I noticed the info on the Carefree electric awning was just one page-- that said to go online to print out the actual manual (done). Learned that there IS in fact a manual crank override to retract the awning when the batteries are dead. This was after discovering an interlock last year that will prevent the truck from even starting (to charge the batteries) when the awning's out….

Still lots to learn!

glinesc

We have a 2016 CS Adventurous and have had at least one cabinet latch break. In looking for a replacement we discovered that the latches were made by Southco, but they are not a latch that Southco carries on their website. There are a couple of RV dealerships that have replacement latches, but they are expensive ($55). It appears that the latches can be ordered, but only in quantities of 10, at $12.74 each. At some point, if there was interest maybe I would order 10 and then sell them, at cost, to anyone who needed them. Just a thought.

Top Bottom