Trans won't shift out off 1st gear.Nag 1

05highroof

I'm thinking I'm going to order a new speed sensor as you did to have on hand in case the problem returns.
I'm also going to open up my old filter to see what it looks like inside. I have pictures of the last one for what it's worth.

Other things of interest. On my last fluid change I used Red Line fluid. After the fluid change my RSN was almost non existent,it slowly returned over the next 10k. This Time I used Mobil One synthetic only because It was my only choice locally. My RSN is the same as before the fluid change.

I understand Doktor A has the cure for this now. I'm eager to try it.Wish I had known when I had the trans apart.

You cleaned the pan magnet off at 148K correct ?
Yes I did.

dbeyer

But I have good news! dbeyer came over today with his DAD unit and cleared the code and all is back to normal.
I've driven about 30 miles so far and all is well. Did I fix the problem? I guess time will tell.

As soon as dbeyer cleared it with his DAD all was back to normal.At least for now.

The codes we read and saved as a file before clearing are:

Trans - P2203 Y3/6n3 RPM sensor faulty
Engine - P2225 Transmission Control ERROR 8

David

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The codes we read and saved as a file before clearing are:

Trans - P2203 Y3/6n3 RPM sensor faulty
Engine - P2225 Transmission Control ERROR 8

David
The 2225 ECM code is a transmission N3 speed sensor companion DTC set in the ECM due to the TCM DTC.

Both needed to be cleared to allow normal operation (as long as the speed sensor voltage issue was not present at time of clearing). Doktor A

Dropped the pan today and went though Doktor A's trans tech alert trans service. It's been 38000 miles since the last trans service. This time there was more sludge on the drain pan magnet then when the trans was serviced @148000.

Other things of interest. On my last fluid change I used Red Line fluid. After the fluid change my RSN was almost non existent,it slowly returned over the next 10k. This Time I used Mobil One synthetic only because It was my only choice locally. My RSN is the same as before the fluid change.
I wonder if the increased sludge is an indication of increased wear from the fluid you used? Not a very extensive study using just your comments, but interesting none the less. vic

05highroof

I wonder if the increased sludge is an indication of increased wear from the fluid you used? Not a very extensive study using just your comments, but interesting none the less. vic
Just an observation,not a study.

05highroof

Looks like it's back to the drawing board,yesterday the trans stuck in gear again. Cycling the key brought all back to normal. Talked to Doktor A and I'm next on the DAD list so that's a good thing. I'm going to check the wiring harness per DA's suggestion but today I ordered a new Connector plate. Cheapest I found it was Europarts for $217.00
I called Berry dodge but they wanted $240.00. According to Berry Dodge there is a new part# for the plate and also a price increase to go with it.Sorry I didn't get the PN.

chrisrad99

Hi,

I had a very similar problem with my 2006 140". The error codes were P2203 and P2225. We did the Dr. A cleaning twice and there was still and intermittent problem. The engine light came on several times after that, but cleared on each key cycle.. until our fateful trip back from Carmel when it finally went into full LHM.

The whole problem turned out to be the electrical connection to from the transmission to the TCM. Once this was solved we haven't had any issues.

Regards,
Chris

dbeyer

Hi,
The whole problem turned out to be the electrical connection to from the transmission to the TCM. Once this was solved we haven't had any issues.
Regards,
Chris
Where was the electrical connection bad and how did you solve the problem?

David

This is general information and not related to last couple posts.

I believe there have been problems highlighted in this forum with the transmission connector not being fully seated home and causing intermittent issues. I need to add that generally they surface after someone has done the transmission connector/seal swap/repair. FWIW. vic

tva13181

Just wondering if anyone found the problem in the wiring harness. Was the wire broken and where in the harness as related to the TCM and connector. I have a P2225 and did the speed sensor plate removal/ clean with a new filter and complete fluid replacement only to have the problem come back a day later. I also replaced the connector at the transmission with the upgraded one. It comes with the black o-rings. o6 2500. Tony:idunno:

Just wondering if anyone found the problem in the wiring harness.
Tony:idunno:
There have been posts which indicated the seal was bad at the transmission and tranny fluid wicked up the conductors to the TCM Transmission Control Module. The oil getting up into there caused problems. I don't recall broken TCM wires being a common problem other than road damage or rodents chewing on wires. :idunno: A search from the blue bar above will probably get you more information. Good luck. vic

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I just changed the transmission connector sleeve (the old one had pink o-rings and was leaking), and now the transmission won't shift gears. Power up/down, unplug - re-set the connector and general cleaning have no effect.

I no longer have a leak.

The DAD gives me the following transmission error:

P2200 Y3/6n2 RPM Sensor Faulty

I have been looking for similar errors in the forum, and this is a close as it comes.

Is the part throwing this error in the transmission?

I just changed the transmission connector sleeve (the old one had pink o-rings and was leaking), and now the transmission won't shift gears. Power up/down, unplug - re-set the connector and general cleaning have no effect.

I no longer have a leak.

The DAD gives me the following transmission error:

P2200 Y3/6n2 RPM Sensor Faulty

I have been looking for similar errors in the forum, and this is a close as it comes.

Is the part throwing this error in the transmission?
I can't cite the threads, but this can happen if the new connectors are not fully seated and all pins making contact.

I would double, triple check that the connector is seated in the manner which Doktor A added to your write-up. The good news is that you should be able to reset everything using your DAD. Those not in possession of a scan tool capable of communicating with the TCM (DRBIII, DAD) need a trip to a dealer. Good luck. vic

CleanImage

Also, did you remember to disconnect the battery, neg?

I have to service mine soon, plug as well, the delay comes from uncertainy

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
My sleeve was not in all the way. I popped it out - verified that there were no bent pins, made sure I had some lub on the o-rings and reset it. I tapped the sleeve with a hammer while holding a piece of wood on the top and it went in about another 1/4 inch. It now looks like the one I before I pulled it apart (I took pictures before I started).

I put the connector back in and locked it down. I cleared the transmission errors using my DAD, and it still does not shift. I get the same 'P2200 Y3/6n2 RPM sensor faulty' error (I reset it again and tried another trip around the block - same error).

I found another web site that lists a more complete message:

P2200 Component Y3/6n2(speed sensor 2) is faulty or the sensor supply has Short circuit.

I guess I need to spend some time looking for possible problems in the connector going to the transmission. It may have chaffed wires going into the connector. There was no issues with transmission fluid in the wires leaving the connector.

What RPM Sensor is it talking about? I know about the ones (tone wheels) at the wheels.

It looks like its the one on the Valve body - Dodge PN# 52108308AA.

Here is the connector wiring:

Attachments

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

If it were mine, I'd consider the possibility of internal damage since it was working OK before I did the work and it was difficult to disassemble/reassemble.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Oh man. That really sucks. Makes me think a leaking tranny is better than one that won't shift out of 1st! Sorry I can't offer any help. You did what I would have done, remove it, clean it, DAD it and try it all again. Good luck.
PS- are you SURE you didn't bend a pin? I know you said you looked with a mirror, but c'mon. All you did was change out the plug! Maybe drop the tranny pan so you can see the connecting plug a bit better from underneath? I don't know that dropping the pan will let you see what you want, but a quick search on the forum might turn up a yay or nay. That's the direction I would head into next.
:thumbup:

Top Bottom