DAD users group discussion thread

I bought my Lenovo Win7 laptop for my D.A.D. from these folks. http://www.computerrefurb.net/

Great prices, they can set it up with whatever you want... and it's guaranteed.

I only use mine for only Sprinter diags. so don't be tempted to buy more machine than you need. Email them with your needs, they may have additional devices not listed on the website.

Serial ports are becoming scarce, but a good quality PCMIA serial adapter will work with the D.A.D.
USB-Serial adapters are not great with the D.A.D. circuitry.

Jim

The D.A.D. works with either.

If you never intend on connecting to the internet XP is fine.

I have had to use mine tethered to my phone to look things up while camping/traveling... WIN 7 still gets security updates, so I prefer it.

thompendleton

What kind of trouble are you having with your DAD?
I can post this in the hardware forum where it belongs but...
"Cannot communicate with cable."
With PCMCIA card. Proper port settings.
I wanted to see if I could hook my DAD up to someone's proven setup to make sure I don't need to try and get a refund.

Joi

Maybe someone knows what could be wrong here ! I have changed the oil in my sprinter 319/2012 and drove about 5km but seal oil filter was not put in place and the oil run out of the engine. then i got message on the screen that the engine lacks oil and the engine turned off . After that I have full oil and put a new seal on the filter and tried to start the car but its dosent . Starter turning only one second and not mor. then i connected the diagnosis and get error code 155700 ENGINE CONNOT STARTED (BLOCKED)

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Maybe someone knows what could be wrong here ! I have changed the oil in my sprinter 319/2012 and drove about 5km but seal oil filter was not put in place and the oil run out of the engine. then i got message on the screen that the engine lacks oil and the engine turned off . After that I have full oil and put a new seal on the filter and tried to start the car but its dosent . Starter turning only one second and not mor. then i connected the diagnosis and get error code 155700 ENGINE CONNOT STARTED (BLOCKED)
Most likely it requires a dealer-level diagnostic machine that can tell it to reset the block.

Since you have a 2012 NCV3, you're far outside of what the T1N-specific DAD can do.

--dick

seans

<snip>
sprinter 319/2012
<snip>
error code 155700 ENGINE CONNOT STARTED (BLOCKED)
I am very curious. What diagnostic device did you use to get this information, where did you get it from, and how much did it cost? Thanks!

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
FWIW, my DAD works perfectly on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. It also worked fine for me on Windows 7 64 bit.

FWIW, my DAD works perfectly on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home 64 bit. It also worked fine for me on Windows 7 64 bit.

Interesting... does your Dell Laptop have an "onboard" serial port or are you using serial adapter, if so what kind. (PCMIA etc)

thanks,

Jim

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
Interesting... does your Dell Laptop have an "onboard" serial port or are you using serial adapter, if so what kind. (PCMIA etc)

thanks,

Jim
Jim, my Dell is fairly new so no onboard or pcmcia adapter. I use a USB-serial adapter. I forget the brand, Keyspan, maybe? It is the one that Doktor A recommended in the beginning.

I don't know why, but some computers work fine with this setup and some don't. I used this first with a Gateway 64 bit Windows 7 and it worked fine, although sometimes, when trying to access the tcm or abs, it would give an error, but then it would work on the second try. Then I tried it with a Dell mini laptop with the Intel Atom processor and Windows XP and I just couldn't get it to work. Then my current Dell hasn't given me any problems. Maybe the slower the computer is, the more issues it has with timing in the adapter, so more issues communicating with the van. :idunno:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
WAYNERODD has the tools to do this (he is in Ohio). Docktor A can also probably do it (South Carolina). A DAD can't do it.

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
Re: latest available device ? >..Re: DAD users group discussion thread

what IS currently available for sprinter OBD code readers? (that i can use on my chevy too)
From my research, for $176 this is the best code reader for the t1n currently, it reads all modules, unlike your standard obd2 reader. This will only read data, if you want to change data and initiate tests like a cylinder misfire test, you will need a two way tool, that can read and write - or you can leave that up to the shops.

Next step up is the $600 Xentry chinese clone of MB STAR dealership gear, which costs thousands. Also the DS708.

I have an Autel MD802 if anyone needs a scan in the Portland area.

krisinak

DAD has testing and performance measuring that a code reader won't do but for the average read codes and figure out what's wrong an android phone bluetooth reader does just fine. At a bout $25 on evilbay it's hard to go wrong! The phone ap has some interesting toys gauges info also.

An android bluetooth scanner works fine on my old 04 I gave up and went bluetooth after crushing my 2nd dedicated scan tool in the drivers door. Duh-oh

New BAFX ELM327 Bluetooth OBD 2 CAN V1.5 Scan Tool Android OBD Reader / Scanner , Item# 251488093341
Qty: 1
Unit Price: $23.99 USD
any recomendations for android app to use with the BAFX? thanks, kris

nate8jones

anybody with a DAD scanner in the southern AL area??

got some engine lights on that come on after driving for a few minutes. once i reach my destination and place it in park, i'm not able put it into gear until i turn the vehicle off and back on. i can't use cruise control as well. other than that no other issues.

my current obd2 scanner does not work; from research its probably a compatibility issue. its a cheapo ELM327 wireless OBD2 and i have the Dash Command APP for Iphone 6s.

trying to avoid the dealerships, but not against paying for a diagnosis. i don't feel comfortable going more than a few hours from home currently.

nate8jones

just an update, my codes have cleared. i disconnected the battery to remove the driver seat and base to treat some rust. while it was disconnected i replaced some headlights and blinker bulbs that weren't working....codes have not re-appeared and its been a couple hundred miles since then.

Top Bottom