Sprinter Keys

Phutch

I'm having difficulty ordering new keys. I have a 2015 Sprinter that was originally sold in North American market. It was exported to Ukraine where I bought it. There was only one key with the vehicle. I contacted two dealerships in Ukraine and got the same answer, they can't order keys for a vehicle which was originally from another country. The key systems are different in America and Europe. The dealerships in America can't order me a key because I need to have the vehicle there and the vehicle is no longer USA registered. I'm really stuck and can't find away out of this predicament. If I lose the only key I have, I am royally screwed. Any ideas?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There are three systems involved:
(a) the shape of the mechanical key
(b) the RFID system that determines if your key can *start* the Sprinter
(c) the RKE (remote key entry) system that handles the door locks

The frequencies used by (c) are country-specific. Different countries allow different radio bands for those functions. (the US is 315 MHz,.. it's listed on the datacard)

In the US, you can overcome (b) by two means: (1) have a locksmith "clone" your existing key... he would have a device that listens to your original key and recreates that radio pattern in the new key. MB does not do that, but 3rd-party locksmiths can and do.
(2) you can hide your original key near the RFID antenna in the Sprinter, and then just use mechanical keys (without RFID chips).
That makes you van easier to steal, but gets around the "can not get new RFID keys" problem.

A good locksmith in the US could create an (a) and (b) "clone"... they do not need the Sprinter, but they do need your existing key.
A "clone" key appears to *be* your existing key to the Sprinter, so it does not require a re-programming of the Sprinter itself.
MB creates *new* keys, which do require reprogramming. MB dealerships do not create "clones".

I would start by finding a locksmith who can copy/cut new (a) mechanical keys... it won't be able to *start* the Sprinter, but it will be able to unlock the doors. You can also ask if they can clone the RFID chips.. you might be able to achieve an (a/b) key.

The other way to go is to replace (or reprogram) the ECU and SKREEM (or NCV3 equivalent) with ones that will accept keys designed for the Ukraine.

good luck
--dick

Last edited:

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
autostaretx

My key #1 stopped working. It will release door and steering but not crank engine.

Can I have key #1 cloned with key #2 by a locksmith

(2008 NCV/V6)

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In the T1N, the "no crank" was partially controlled by what options you had

I can't remember the exact details, but it was something like Sprinters with remote key locks would always crank if the key was turned,
but Sprinters without remote key access had the ECU voting on whether or not to crank if the RFID chip was not sensed.

I have RKE, so my Sprinter always cranks, even with a "no-chip" mechanical key.
(2 seconds after ignition, the dash says "Start Err" and the engine dies)

I don't know if MB carried that "logic" on to the NCV3...

--dick

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
Thank you for replies.

On checking key #2 again (it's been a while)
It only opens doors, not Steering or Engine Crank.

I will get one done at the MB dealer. When I first inquired, it was the
hoops I had to jump through to prove owner ship and the cost.
I've have had time to digest it all now and know it will be the best option.

Monafly

2015 2500 short tall 6cyl
I went to a local locksmith and they cloned my single key so that I have a second. Doesn't help the original poster since they are not in the US. Cost $100.

Phutch

Autostaretx, if I go to a locksmith to have a) mechanical key cut, and b) RFID chip cloned, where do I get the key, fob, and chip?

Phutch

I went to a local locksmith and they cloned my single key so that I have a second. Doesn't help the original poster since they are not in the US. Cost $100.
Is this key fully functional? Mechanical key, RFID and remote entry?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Autostaretx, if I go to a locksmith to have a) mechanical key cut, and b) RFID chip cloned, where do I get the key, fob, and chip?
The chip comes as part of the key ... there used to be a local Seattle locksmith whose wholesaler-provided commercial wall-chart of available keys included the 2007-current NCV3 Sprinter (but, to my surprise, not the 2000-2006 T1N Sprinter (like mine)).
(i think the company was Ballard Lock & Key (www.ballardlockandkey.com ))

--dick (who, when the opportunity presents itself, drops in at locksmiths and asks about Sprinter keys)
((i've never tried inquiring about the remote door lock fobs... only the chipped keys))
((the chips only produce one fixed signal once programmed. The door fobs produce a "rolling code" so that every transmission is unique (or at least one in a known-by-SKREEM pseudo-random sequence)))

Last edited:

Monafly

2015 2500 short tall 6cyl
Phutch:

My cloned key is chipped so it will mechanically open the door and start the engine. It doesn't allow for fob activated door locking/unlocking.

Top Bottom