Damaged awning support brackets

gte

2008 RS
The two brackets attached to the side of my 2008 RS that support the awning when it is up have broken. I can still put the ends of the awning supports into the brackets but the sliding parts to hold the support rods in place are broken. Oddly my RS came with extra brackets, but I have no idea how to remove the defective ones and looking inside it appears I may have to remove a lot of internal trim to get to the back side of the brackets. Has anyone had to replace these brackets or have ideas about replacing them?

BobG

The brackets are held on by blind rivets. As I remember they are 3/16". Drill them out and install the new brackets with pop-rivets.

They gave you spare brackets?

Not that anyone asked...

If the brackets are a weak link you might consider using Nutserts or another re-usable fastener rather than drilling out pop rivets for each replacement. Pop rivets are quick and easy for the builders. Anticipating future replacements, over the long haul pop rivets may not be the best choice.

:2cents: vic

What brand is the awning? We had some trouble with the "orange" locks on the arms of the Carefree awning that came on our LTV Free Spirit. I was my fault, I pushed the lock the wrong way and bent the plastic. It still works but I an trying to get a replacement before it breaks. It is a $5 to $10 part but any of the dealers I have talked to want $40 to have it shipped.

gte

2008 RS
Yes, oddly there were two extra brackets in the RS when I bought it new. The awning is a manual Fiamma.

Thanks for the information about the rivets. I have a regular rivet tool but the one suggested with the screw in center is much better. I see Home Depot has one reasonably priced. I was considering a screw type wall anchor but this will be much better.

Top Bottom