Roadtrek Owners

ptrout

Hi, everyone! I'm happy to find this forum because I'm a new owner of a 2007 Roadtrek Agile SS. Next week I'll be leaving on my first trip to the Southwest. I'm anxious to learn from other owners and to contribute my own experiences with the Sprinter. So far, I've been very pleased with it's performance and handling.

ptrout

Thanks for the responses. I'm anxious for the roadtrip in my new Roadtrek. It's quite a stepup from my previous "teardrop". Just hope I don't have to leave in a Wisconsin snowstorm! :yell:

The picture was taken in Jan., 2008, upon arrival to the Sprinter's new home in Wisconsin. I refer to her as my "troutmobile". Due to our extremely long "winter", I haven't been able to take the rv on any trips, to date. Limited to the driveway... :(

Last edited:

ptrout

Greetings from Wisconsin! I'm happy to announce a "very successful & fun" roadtrip with my 2007 Roadtrek Agilee SS. After 3,000+ miles, I can say the "troutmobile" handled flawlessly on my trip to the Southwest, with only one exception. On the last leg of the trip, Des Moines to Milwaukee, loss of power and the "check engine" light occurred. I attempted to clear the "check engine" condition, however, my actions didn't correct the situation. I called the DC 24hr. towing, and they immeditately dispatched a towing company, "Hooks & Chains" (very professional and polite). With my Sprinter on the flatbed tow truck, I was delivered to the nearest Dodge dealership Stew Hansen Dodge City, in Urbandale, Iowa. A 47 mile trip. Upon my arrival, I found a very nice employee working late (Chris). I asked if I could "plug in" to their power for my overnight stay. Chris found two extension cords for my use. The next morning, I ran into Chris and he informed me that he learned that every other light pole in the parking lot had a receptacle for plug in, if necessary. Prior to their official opening time of 7:00 a.m., I found a very nice female employee that directed me to the coffee. Also, she introduced me to the service advisor, Dane. He immediately started assisting me (I had dreaded that I would have to wait for an appointment). This was at 6:40 a.m. that morning. Within two hours, and many cups of coffee, I was on my way home to Wisconsin. Two problems: 1) Loss of Power & Check Engine light: Replaced the split turbo resonator hose 2) ESP & wheel indicator light coming on, at times/ would clear after restarting engine: cause/improper adjustment/ recalibrated steering angle to correct. I took the opportunity to have the oil changed ($59.09) which I was going to do anyway upon my arrival home. The dealership truly "exceeded my expectations" and would love to have them in my hometown! For the final leg home of my trip, everything went well :thumbup: While driving to New Mexico & Arizona, I encountered extremely strong winds. Although everyone on the road was having a very long day at the wheel, I felt pleased with the Sprinter's handling and continued my drive to meet up with my family in northern AZ. :cheers: I've washed the bugs off the front of the "troutmobile" and have already started planning a flyfishing trip south.:bounce:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Good to hear of your pleasant trip ptrout, but it's too bad the turbo hose split. First it was the resonators and now the hoses!

At any rate, it's good you found a good shop to deal with it..... but you sent no pictures of your van wthout snow.
:bash:

ptrout

Hey, BayWoodBill, I have pics, however, I haven't figured out "how to download"...I spent the afternoon reading "All" of the owner info regarding the Sprinter, and I have come to the conclusion, I've been a "victim" of the "turbo resonator" issue, as reported by so many new owners. So goes our trust...has anyone thought of "duck tape" to hold it all together?! Once in my life, we used "baling wire" to resolve our problems. Ha! Does the $90.00 metal solution really resolve the problem if clamped properly? As a single woman traveling the highways, I wonder about my new purchase and the great enthusiasm I had for traveling this country in my Sprinter...however, I now wonder about it's dependability. How far from "home base" should I venture?! I keep thinking about the early settlers and their covered wagons...breakdowns and the unknown of the frontier...did they have towing services to come to their rescue?

ptrout

Hey, BaywoodBill, I have pics, however, I haven't figured out "how to download"...I spent the afternoon reading "All" of the owner info regarding the Sprinter, and I have come to the conclusion, I've been a "victim" of the "turbo resonator" issue, as reported by so many new owners. So goes our trust...has anyone thought of "duck tape" to hold it all together?! Once in my life, we used "baling wire" to resolve our problems. Ha! Does the $90.00 metal solution really resolve the problem if clamped properly? As a single woman traveling the highways, I wonder about my new purchase and the great enthusiasm I had for traveling this country in my Sprinter...however, I now wonder about it's dependability. How far from "home base" should I venture?! I keep thinking about the early settlers and their covered wagons...breakdowns and the unknown of the frontier...did they have towing services to come to their rescue?

What Next

I wonder was it the hose or resonator? Your van should be new enough to have the Q5 resonatorhttp://http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13405#post13405 If you have the Q5 now you should be OK. The oil change price($59.09) is a great deal I can't even buy the synthetic oil for that price. Three thousand miles ? and an oil change MB says 10,000 interval fine. Glad the trip turned out OK
The link does not seem to work so search Q5 then go to Resonator May Stay page 2

Last edited:

ptrout

What Next...Thanks for the info. The service rep said a "split resonator hose", however, reading the papers, it said replaced "resonator". So, I believe it was the hose problem. I bought the Roadtrek with 3k on it. Since the trip, I was up to 8k for the mileage. I was going to replace the oil anyway when I returned (being a new unit), so, I thought I would just have it done while at their dealership. I see on the invoice they used "bulk oil". Perhaps, I should have asked for specific synthetic oil. I'll check the "Q5" info, as suggested. Ptrout

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
What Next...Thanks for the info. The service rep said a "split resonator hose", however, reading the papers, it said replaced "resonator". So, I believe it was the hose problem. I bought the Roadtrek with 3k on it. Since the trip, I was up to 8k for the mileage. I was going to replace the oil anyway when I returned (being a new unit), so, I thought I would just have it done while at their dealership. I see on the invoice they used "bulk oil". Perhaps, I should have asked for specific synthetic oil. I'll check the "Q5" info, as suggested. Ptrout
Yeh.... only use oil that is approved --- as listed in the owner's manual.

But don't worry about your van. Sprinters are excellent vehicles.

ptrout

Well, I checked my service invoice, and, it states that they "replaced the split turbo resonator (Part #5137154AB). Is that the "Q5"? Bottom line, I'll probably purchase the recommended Riordan replacement just to have as a "backup" for my next trip. I received my government "stimulus" rebate, so, I'll just help the U.S. economy:rad: Car & home insurance and the Riordan item pretty much will take care of that rebate:idunno:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Well, I checked my service invoice, and, it states that they "replaced the split turbo resonator (Part #5137154AB). Is that the "Q5"?
Only way I know is to look at the thing and see if there is a sticker that says Q5.

Bottom line, I'll probably purchase the recommended Riordan replacement just to have as a "backup" for my next trip.
If you do this, look at the instructions (very good instructions) and make sure you have with you the tools you would need to replace the resonator. While your at it, crawl under the front of the van (maybe "crawl" is not the right word. Maybe "worm" is better) and locate where the resonator attaches to the alternator bracket and make sure you have a tool that works in that space.

What Next

Go to the link in post #13 above then go to #16 in link , you have the correct part # for a Q5 you should never have another problem.

ptrout

Several questions for you experts:thumbup: If the indicator for water in the fuel comes on, how easy/difficult is the process to drain the water? Also, how difficult is it to change the fuel filter?
I'm planning another roadtrip in the "troutmobile", and was hoping to be prepared, if possible. Thanks!

rsalejandro

I had a split rsonator on my Adventurous with only 1400 miles on it! The dealership was very prompt and curtious which made it a little more Palatable. We spent a week in the white mountains of New Hampshire and just love the van, only problem so far has been the resonator.

nicknow

Greetings from Wisconsin! I'm happy to announce a "very successful & fun" roadtrip with my 2007 Roadtrek Agilee SS. After 3,000+ miles, I can say the "troutmobile" handled flawlessly on my trip to the Southwest, with only one exception. On the last leg of the trip, Des Moines to Milwaukee, loss of power and the "check engine" light occurred. I attempted to clear the "check engine" condition, however, my actions didn't correct the situation. I called the DC 24hr. towing, and they immeditately dispatched a towing company, "Hooks & Chains" (very professional and polite). With my Sprinter on the flatbed tow truck, I was delivered to the nearest Dodge dealership Stew Hansen Dodge City, in Urbandale, Iowa. A 47 mile trip. Upon my arrival, I found a very nice employee working late (Chris). I asked if I could "plug in" to their power for my overnight stay. Chris found two extension cords for my use. The next morning, I ran into Chris and he informed me that he learned that every other light pole in the parking lot had a receptacle for plug in, if necessary. Prior to their official opening time of 7:00 a.m., I found a very nice female employee that directed me to the coffee. Also, she introduced me to the service advisor, Dane. He immediately started assisting me (I had dreaded that I would have to wait for an appointment). This was at 6:40 a.m. that morning. Within two hours, and many cups of coffee, I was on my way home to Wisconsin. Two problems: 1) Loss of Power & Check Engine light: Replaced the split turbo resonator hose 2) ESP & wheel indicator light coming on, at times/ would clear after restarting engine: cause/improper adjustment/ recalibrated steering angle to correct. I took the opportunity to have the oil changed ($59.09) which I was going to do anyway upon my arrival home. The dealership truly "exceeded my expectations" and would love to have them in my hometown! For the final leg home of my trip, everything went well :thumbup: While driving to New Mexico & Arizona, I encountered extremely strong winds. Although everyone on the road was having a very long day at the wheel, I felt pleased with the Sprinter's handling and continued my drive to meet up with my family in northern AZ. :cheers: I've washed the bugs off the front of the "troutmobile" and have already started planning a flyfishing trip south.:bounce:
Oil Change $59.??? I have heard recommendations are to use Synthetic oil (Mobil 1) Dealers are asking $160.00 for oil change. "Jiffy Lube" yesterday (8/28) quoted me $115! WHO IS RIGHT???
Nicknow

Top Bottom