Bicycle and Transport Recommendations

kmay

2013 Unity MB
Hello folks,

After a brief search, I noted there has not been a thread started to list potential bicycles and or how one can transport bicycles. Hopefully this post can be a start and others will join the discussion.

As a cycling enthusiast, I would freely admit I bought a RV to support bicycling.

So, you have a bike and want to add that to your Unity experience but how to take it with you? Exterior hitch racks or ladder racks are certainly an option. Frame or tray type? I think a tray type rack is the easiest as you don't have to lift but one end of a bike or lift very high.

Having tried hitch racks in the past, I find the collection of road grime unacceptable. Secondly, too many friends have lost bikes to theft. I have and will use a hitch rack if I am not going far, no rain is expected and I will be with the vehicle or the bike for the whole trip.

Given the existing storage lockers onboard various RV models, folding or knock-down bikes may fit these spaces. Some of the diamond frame (traditional bike) brands you may be familiar with are Dahon, Brompton and Moulton. One can find many imitations of the Dahon and Brompton including some that are outright piracy, fakes. Bike Friday makes a very compact folder that fits in a suitcase. Can anyone report on how these bikes fit in their Unity?

I have a Melon folding bike (Dahon look-a-like) and while the performance is surprising, it is still a compromise. Barely good enough for a short spin around the park or run to the store. I would have to remove the wheels to get this bike in a locker. Everything is a tool free quick release so the job would be brief.

Then there are folding or knock-down recumbent bikes. Volae, Trident TWIG, Performer and TW-Bents are some examples. I have a TW-Bents Cobra. If I removed the wheels, seat and folded the frame, it would fit in the outside lockers but would require tools and time for dis- and re-assembly. I love riding this bike, it is my jet fighter simulator. If I had to, it would be worth it to knock it apart.

We also have a great bike that easily folds tool-free and fits in the tall locker:

http://www.linearrecumbent.com/

We have the Linear Limo. The Linear Roadster would also be a great choice and it will fit on public bus racks without folding. Plus, a pair of Roadsters would ride in our large horizontal locker.

While I have not done so, I guesstimate two Limo bikes would fit in the lockers.

I like many things about our Linear Limo. While it may look strange to you, it is one of the easiest recumbent bikes to master I have ridden. As comfortable on your tush as your recliner plus hands, wrists, arms, shoulders and neck are all in a neutral, pain-free position. A leisurely five minutes to assemble or disassemble. Best part? There is absolutely no compromise of bike performance on this folder and the execution of the design is brilliant. Further, weight limits are generous and one could equip the bike with a different rear wheel if total weight capacity was an issue.

Several manufacturers offer recumbent trikes that fold. ICE, Greenspeed, Catrike, Azub, HP Velotechnik, Trident and Terratrike all offer folding models. I know I may have missed some models. Trikes offer all the benefits of a recumbent bike plus you will not fall over. With go kart like handling, I have never seen an adult not smile after trying one.

Trike transport? Well you can use a hitch or ladder rack as previously mentioned. Some riders simply fold the trike and haul inside their RV living space. I don't think our MB would work well long term, but we have hauled a folded trike in the rear corner by the vanity. A hitch mounted storage box works well.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/index.php is a useful site dedicated to all things recumbent. One can find links to most of the manufacturers mentioned or search posts on the message board for additional info.

Disclaimer: Other than as a consumer, I do not have any financial relationship or business activities with any manufacturer. I donated a very small amount of money to Bentrideronline.

Judge3rd

Timely post. I too have been looking at folding bikes. In a couple of weeks we are taking delivery of our 2017 TB. Several bikes will fit into the exterior compartments of the TB. in particular I am looking at the Retrospec SS, a single speed bike sufficient for our needs. Two will fit into the exterior compartments of the TB. In my mind absent a serious need for bike specialization and for general use folding bikes make sense, no bumper extension, theft reduced by lack of visibility.
You can find foldable bikes in all price ranges. Some will fit into Unity exterior compartments.
Jim:thumbup:

Judge3rd

Timely post. I too have been looking at folding bikes. In a couple of weeks we are taking delivery of our 2017 TB. Several bikes will fit into the exterior compartments of the TB. in particular I am looking at the Retrospec SS, a single speed bike sufficient for our needs. Two will fit into the exterior compartments of the TB. In my mind absent a serious need for bike specialization and for general use folding bikes make sense, no bumper extension, theft reduced by lack of visibility.
You can find foldable bikes in all price ranges. Some will fit into Unity exterior compartments.
Jim:thumbup:

Jmolan

After a trip to Mexico and back, trying a hitch mounted Honda trail 90, stuffing full sized bikes in the garage, on and on. Front mounted receiver hitch was considered.

We definitely need aux. transportation. We have demo'd elect bike a few times, the good ones are so much fun! I have checked with a couple tech and the battery charged only run 160 to 200 watts. Easy to charge from the inverter.

We will be going to Seattle to try these out. from what I can see they remind me a little of my Honda 90. I have measured and two will take up half of our back area (garage) I will report back.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike?variant=17586850561

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 7.55.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 7.54.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 7.59.41 PM.png

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
We carry 2 Dahon MuP8, http://usa.dahon.com/bikes/mu-p8-3/,folding bikes in our Let's Go Aero Gear Space 34 hitch mounted carrier, http://letsgoaero.com/cargo-carriers/enclosed-cargo-carriers/gearspace-34-carriers/. The Gearspace 34 gives one an extra 34 cubic feet of space for bulky items. The Dahon folding bikes fit perfectly with all the other stuff that we can't fit in our compartments. I figure about 230lbs including the weight of the carrier itself. The Dahon bikes are the smoothest easiest riding bikes we have ever owned. We ride easily 10-12 miles in a day and have gone as many as 18 miles in a day. Fine bike for long rides. Love Dahon can't say enough good things about them and at just under 25lbs each, easy to lift in and out of the Gear Space 34. I have seen others using a Komo Carrier, http://www.ecarriershelving.com/?category_id=31, it holds full size bikes and has more cubic feet of storage (66.5 cubic feet).

I originally wanted the Dahon Mariner 7 speed, http://brandscycle.com/product/dahon-mariner-d7-168252-1.htm, because it withstands saltwater and that would be good for beach rides. I found the best price at Brand Cycle but they were out of the Mariner but gave me a great price on the upgraded MuP8, 8 speed, and added fenders for about the same price as the Mariner and shipped them fully assembled, free shipping. I like the MuP8 because it came in a black and white color choices so we could each get a color. Now we know whose bike is whose. I don't think the MuP8 is available anymore but Dahon makes many styles of folding bikes. I had also considered NYCe Wheels, who offers lots of folding bikes and folding electric bikes. They also offer a Bionex electric motor kit that can be put on a Dahon for anyone that is interested in an electric option. They have very competitve prices and they have free shipping and ship your folding bike fully assembled anyway you configure it. There are lots of YouTube videos demonstrating Dahon folding bikes.

Attachments

Last edited:

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
After a trip to Mexico and back, trying a hitch mounted Honda trail 90, stuffing full sized bikes in the garage, on and on. Front mounted receiver hitch was considered.

We definitely need aux. transportation. We have demo'd elect bike a few times, the good ones are so much fun! I have checked with a couple tech and the battery charged only run 160 to 200 watts. Easy to charge from the inverter.

We will be going to Seattle to try these out. from what I can see they remind me a little of my Honda 90. I have measured and two will take up half of our back area (garage) I will report back.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike?variant=17586850561

View attachment 82736

View attachment 82737

View attachment 82738
I tried charging the battery from my wife's electric assist bike from the inverter. Didn't work -- it wouldn't charge even though the charger draws 1.5 amps. Perhaps a newer inverter would work. Sometimes you can find a 120V power source at a unserviced campground. At one campground that we like, there is no power source so we asked the host to charge for us. They refused because they get too many requests.

Last edited:

imstilllarry

We love to find great bike paths and also use our bikes as transportation often instead to moving the coach. We should have a thread on great bike rides for old people. And speaking of old we also love our electric bikes. Ours are not folding and not light weight but really ride nice and are stable in the wind and rough spots on the road. http://www.evelo.com/electric-bicycles/aurora/ They are on a Hollywood rack. Battery is way more than we need for even the longest rides. I also added an electric outlet in the corner compartment to plug in the charger so they are topped off and ready for the next ride.

They load easily on my bike rack and I don't even know they are there other than seeing them in the via the camera. Also I like to have great zero gravity chairs, grill, wood to burn on the beach, a huge carpet, dog pen, etc. So we look like the Clampetts moving to Beverly Hills.

2014 Unity MB 2013 Sprinter

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
imstilllarry - Have you moved your license plate so that the bike rack doesn't block it from view?

imstilllarry

I have not, in 25k miles I've never been stopped. This last trip mostly in Texas I was twice followed for an extended period and wonder both times. Then he came around and down the highway.

2014 Unity MB 2013 Sprinter

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
I've never been stopped either, and sometimes I put a full cover over 2 bikes so it is impossible to see the plate. I've considered buying a plate holder for a trailer, but I can't find anywhere to mount it where it would be visible. I would take power from the trailer hitch power plug for the light.

joeframer44

2014 Unity MB/U-lounge
We have two Pedego electric bikes http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com. They are our around town commuter bikes and travel on our Unity on a 1Up aluminum rack ( http://www.1upusa.com). The rack is very heavy duty and can handle the two bikes at 50 lbs each (the batteries are an extra 9 lbs and they travel in a compartment. It's best to have two people load and unload them from the rack. They have great range and are very comfortable. They allow us to venture well out of the campground without worrying about the terrain.

Joe K.
2014 Unity MB

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I was hoping the Montague "Allston" full-size folding bike would fit in the large and tall outside storage compartment on my 2017 Unity MB. No such luck. I wanted it because of the belt drive. Anyway, I visited PortaPedal in Tucson and their entire store specializes in portable and foldibg bikes. Ended up buying the Brompton "Raw Lacquer H6R", with fenders and rear rack. Added a T-Bag and collapsible Helmet, tire protectors, and a tool kit that hides inside the bike's main tube. Plus an LED light and tail kight. Bike fits perfect, and you can leave the wire racks in place. In fact, two can fit if you add a support or shelf above the first one. No need to remove the wheels. Tires are good for street and dirt and gravel roads. Not an offroad trail hopper.

Same wheelbase as a normal bike. Goes the same distance on each rotation of the pedals. You can wheel it around like a push cart when folded. You can sit on the seat when folded. And it acts like a shopping cart when folded because the bag can stay attached. Upright seating position. Great brakes. 6 speed. 3 gears in the hub. Powder coated frame is hand-built in England.

Pricey, at $1800 for the bike. $2500 out the door, as equipped, with cover and small stuff bag behind the seat. But it solved my problem. I will post photos ASAP.

Jmolan

I was hoping the Montague "Allston" full-size folding bike would fit in the large and tall outside storage compartment on my 2017 Unity MB. No such luck. I wanted it because of the belt drive. Anyway, I visited PortaPedal in Tucson and their entire store specializes in portable and foldibg bikes. Ended up buying the Brompton "Raw Lacquer H6R", with fenders and rear rack. Added a T-Bag and collapsible Helmet, tire protectors, and a tool kit that hides inside the bike's main tube. Plus an LED light and tail kight. Bike fits perfect, and you can leave the wire racks in place. In fact, two can fit if you add a support or shelf above the first one. No need to remove the wheels. Tires are good for street and dirt and gravel roads. Not an offroad trail hopper.

Same wheelbase as a normal bike. Goes the same distance on each rotation of the pedals. You can wheel it around like a push cart when folded. You can sit on the seat when folded. And it acts like a shopping cart when folded because the bag can stay attached. Upright seating position. Great brakes. 6 speed. 3 gears in the hub. Powder coated frame is hand-built in England.

Pricey, at $1800 for the bike. $2500 out the door, as equipped, with cover and small stuff bag behind the seat. But it solved my problem. I will post photos ASAP.
I was hoping the Montague might work for us (if we go non-electric) Did you ride it? I have never ridden one (yet) The folded up dimensions and engineering are pretty awesome. But I am looking to keep them inside under our bunk, I may have more room.

Scarecrow

No, I did not ride the Montague. Sad to say. I did not want to talk myself into an outside carrier, or think about an inside solution. I already have a Spot Cycles "York" with the Gates belt drive at home, so if I decide to xarry a full-size bike, that will be the one.

The Montague "Allston" just misses fitting into that side cargo bay by about 4". The wore shelves are held on by a square drive screw, which the bike shop did not have so we could remove them. The ladder can still be stowed with the Brompton, but I know it must come off for most anything even a little larger.

I hate that rear ladder, by the way...

SummerWind

Hiya, new here so I am a noob but I have been a long time cyclist and I'm with ya OP, my babies (bikes) go inside my vehicles. When I had a town and country van that was one reason I bought it. I used this:
http://www.biketote.com/
I promise I don't work for the company, but it will be the last bike tote you have to buy. I ran into ( or rather around) a deer and even upside down by a tree the bikes and holder didn't move.
I take it, however, you want a foldable, small bike and not so much full or even a 'bent so...
I bike friday, www.bikefriday.com, tikit is your ticket? it has gone on Japans mass transit and is easy to fold. Very nice and stable.
Reading this thread with interest now that I'm getting a Sprinter.

Scarecrow

We have two Pedego electric bikes http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com.
Love the look of those! I'd be afraid of attracting thieves on that rear mount, but maybe I'd get over that if the security features on the ramp are decent.

I can think of one place inside the 2017 MB to hang a folding bike like the Montague -- but you'd have to give up the full-length mirror: Inside of the sliding bathroom door. It will be "difficult", but not impossible.

Another spot might be easier: Across the mirror / pull-down table of the bed. In this case, you'd have to remove it every night, or whenever you wanted to use the dining table. However, if you travel alone (as do I, most times), I could see a swing-away rack that would swing out over one chair so you could lower that table as needed. It will take some thought...

Suza

We built a "rack" similar to the bike tote when we had our 5th-wheel. It mounted in in the bed of our tow vehicle, an F350 LB Supercab, with just enough clearance for the 5th-wheel turn radius, with the bike seats lowered. We still use it in our BMW X5 cargo area. The floor of the cargo space has mounting rails that we attach the rack to. The only difference is, because of the slope of the rear window, the rear seat must be folded and the bikes loaded with the handle bars to the front. Works great and doesn't require us to install an unsightly hitch.

We have a Unity TB and have decided to go with a hitch mount bike rack. However (if you didn't want the bikes outside), in the TB, it would be possible to construct some sort of mount between the beds, to hold the bikes while under way. I haven't tried putting them inside to see if this is a feasible solution; the bikes might need to be mounted in opposing directions. In the IB, you could possibly fit one on each side of the bed. This is for conventional bikes; folding or electric bikes probably wouldn't work in this fashion.

We are choosing a hitch rack to avoid the inconvenience of moving the bikes in and out of the coach. We did this with our kayaks when we had the 5th-wheel and it was somewhat of a bother, but the price we had to pay to enjoy paddling. Now that we have a small motorhome, we will be moving the van about more, so bikes inside would be a pain; as for the kayaks, we will be replacing them with inflatables.

Carrying a couple of bikes inside the coach is probably an option, if you have some way to secure them and don't mind the hassle of moving them about. Also, it is essential that you have quick release front wheels, which I think most bikes have, nowadays.

Last edited:

Suza

Most of the posts here are regarding folding or electric bike transport. I would like to add some comments for those who want to carry conventional bikes on a hitch mount rack, in hopes that this will help in deciding on a rack.

Let me first say, our bikes are recreational Specialized Crossroads hybrids designed for on-road/off-road cycling. They are by no means high-performance, premium bikes with components thieves would be attracted to. They are good quality, but moderately priced at around $500 and serve us well for trail riding and exploring areas around our campsite.

This being said, We will be purchasing a hitch mounted bike rack for carrying bikes on our Unity TB. Rain is not a huge issue, since we try to avoid it when camping, but we will purchase a bike cover for protection, when needed. A U-lock/cable will be utilized as a theft deterrent.

When I began researching racks, I found most of the popular makes are not approved for use behind an RV. Long story short, the distance from the axel to the hitch attachment amplifies the up and down movement of the rack magnifying the stress put on its structure, specifically the welds. Many RVers use these unapproved racks, but such use voids the warranties.

Two racks I found that are approved for RV use are the Swagman Dispatch 2 and 1upsusa.

http://www.swagman.net/product/dispatch/

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-heavy-duty-double-bike-rack/

Note: only the 2" models are RV approved; the 1.25-2" is not

The 2" construction contributes to the RV approval. However, these both require a hitch extender for installation on the Unity, because the receiver is recessed into the bumper enough that the handle bars of the bikes will hit the rear mast.

Swagman has told me that the use of an extension voids the warranty. If I was seriously considering this rack, I would argue this as it applies to installation on the Unity. I don't think they are taking into consideration the shorter wheelbase of the Sprinter Chassis as compared to other RVs. I feel their answer is generic across RVs in general. Nevertheless, an easy solution is to loosen the handlebars and turn them 90 degrees, but we prefer a simple unload/pedal/load process.

1upusa sells a hitch extension and tells me its use will not affect the warranty when installed on the Unity. Since they offer their own optional extension, they have most likely conducted testing and are confident such use is acceptable for warranty purposes.

Either way, both racks are probably fine. It just depends on whether warranty is important to you.

After reading many reviews online and from other Unity owners, we are choosing the 1up rack. I hesitated at first, since it will require us to remove our lightweight rear fenders, but it has features that make it more attractive than the Swagman:

1. Loading and unloading the bikes is less complicated

2. Entire rack folds up flush when not in use; Swagman, only the attachment bars fold.

3. My bike has a step-through frame. Swagman is not sure the Dispatch clamps will work on it.

4. It appears to be of better quality; unfortunately this translates to more expensive. It's a bit lighter, being constructed of powder coated aluminum.

5. Made in USA; I can't get anyone at Swagman to tell me where their racks are made, but I'm assuming they are made in China or other overseas location since Wal-mart markets them.

6. 1upusa representatives have been very responsive, quickly answering my many questions with straight-forward information.

7. Lifetime warranty for factory defect and breakage under normal use and a 60 day refund/return policy. Swagman has a limited lifetime warranty that covers manufacturer's defects; no mention of breakage. 1upusa used to replace stolen racks, but have had too many claims and have discontinued this policy. They recommend using a receiver security cable and offer an optional hitch bar lock as a theft deterrent.

8. Extensive selection of replacement parts

9. This rack is more suited for those opposed to the rack coming in contact with the bike frames, specifically carbon fiber.

Either of these, or another reputable brand, such as Thule, Kuat, Saris, will probably be fine, but 1up appears to be the only solution for full warranty when used behind the Unity.

Suza

Suza - you forgot to mention the best part about the 1upUSA rack - the optional built in bottle opener

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/bottle-opener/

:popcorn:
Thanks for reminding me :cheers:

Do you have a 1upUSA rack?

If yes:

How is the ground clearance?

Are the tail light safely visible with bikes on board?

What is the red bar with the black knob at the base of the wheel clamp and how does it work?

Here's the bottle opener, for those who are wondering

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/bottle-opener/

Last edited:

Top Bottom