front speaker replacement

Thanks for the post guys. I can't believe that $24pair of speakers are a significant improvement over MB speakers. MB = FAIL!

It was an easy job, as you guys mentioned, even for a mechanically retarded like me :bounce:

Installed in 2002 Freightliner Sprinter

surlyoldbill

Glad it worked for you. The speakers are a BIG improvement over the stock speakers, which have tiny magnets and inferior cone material. There are probably no 4" speakers available that will give decent full spectrum sound, and if you're a partially-assed audiophile like me, you'll want to install some 6.5" speakers somewhere, and maybe a small powered subwoofer under the passenger seat (bolt it down good so it doesn't rattle). Speaker placement should be so that the left and right have as little overall difference in distance from your head as possible; mounting a speaker right above the door will make the driver side 1' from your head, and the passenger side 5' from your head, where mounting them in the bottom of the doors will make the driver side 4' from your head and the passenger side 6'.

My opinion on car stereo, especially in trucks, vans and convertibles, is that when you're driving the interior noise is so high that you will not be able to enjoy or notice the extra $1000+ you might spend on high-end components. And you have less of a target for thieves. If you are a younger person, you will probably want to throw this logic out the window and buy the most popular brand name equipment with more power than you could ever use, and put stickers on the outside of your van signifying that you have expensive equipment installed.

The old saying about all stereos is true; you can have the BEST radio/cd/etc player in the world, but it will sound horrible through crappy speakers; you should dedicate at least half of your radio budget toward the speakers because they are what actually recreate the sound, this goes for home systems, too. In this age of digital sound and amplification, the speakers are the MOST important component in your system, now more than ever.

On a side note, I should have thought of this before: my laptop speakers are not very loud, and watching movies while on road trips (parked) was difficult. I started to bring along a powered speaker for these trips, but I rediscovered in a drawer an FM transmitter that was designed to plug into MP3/CD players to play them over your car stereo before direct connections became popular. I now run the laptop audio through my sound system.

mobileLA

I just " invested" in a pair of the $24 speakers at Wally World.
It was so easy to swap them out that I did it while waiting in traffic.

I am thinking about getting a Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth etc.
It's a P7100BT. Anyone have anything bad to say about them with fitment and such?

Riptide

Here's my experience with changing out the front speakers to the VR3 units:

1. When I tried to pull off the drivers' side A-pillar cover, the entire foam insert exploded. The cleats on the pillar cover just would not come out. So, I have to order a new foam insert. ( P/N 05123185AA) :yell: The pillar cover does not have to be removed entirely; only enough to clear the speaker cover. The passenger side released much better...

2. The speaker covers come up without too much problem. Note how it snaps in.

3. As was stated, bend three of the four mounting tabs off the new speaker. Then drop them in. I did not tape them or adhere them at all. The fit seemed snug enough.

4. Reinstall the pillar cover, giving a good whack over the areas of the three mounting pins.

They do sound better, but now that I have to replace the foam insert, the total project is considerably more than 24 bucks. Oh well, might as well take the opportunity to run the cable up to the rear view camera/mirror.

Attachments

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I guress I would be too cheap to replace the foam - just tack-glue it back, put the fascia back on, and forget. Out of sight, out of mind.

Riptide

I guess I would be too cheap to replace the foam - just tack-glue it back, put the fascia back on, and forget. Out of sight, out of mind.
I thought about that, but the foam unit, which is reinforced with a plastic frame, screws to the pillar, and then the pillar cover snaps to the foam unit. When it exploded, it was because the screw mounts had ripped out. For some reason, the foam insert seemed stuck to the pillar cover when I tried to pull it off.

Besides, once I know it's broken, I can't leave something broken, even if it is covered up. It's an affliction.

bcholka

Have you guys seen these door panel speakers from Ebay?? I did a search on "door speakers" and didn't come up with much so I figured I'd post this E-bay listing. I tried to copy some pictures over as well but was unsuccessful. The panel/speaker combos look nice!! :thumbup:

Welcome to eBay!
Find items similar to Dodge or Mercedes Sprinter Door Panel Audio Upgrade. See all items in - Car Electronics > Car Speakers & Speaker Systems.
Listed in category:
Electronics > Car Electronics > Car Speakers & Speaker Systems
Also Listed in:
eBay Motors > Parts & Accessories > Car Electronics > Speakers & Speaker Systems
Watch this item

Zoom
Enlarge

Dodge or Mercedes Sprinter Door Panel Audio Upgrade
99 to 07 Sprinter Van Speaker Upgrade
Item condition: --
Price: US $299.00 Buy It NowBuy It Now
or
Best Offer: Make OfferMake Offer
Watch this item
You're Invited! Join eBay Bucks and earn 2%. See conditions
Shipping: $20.00Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service | See all details
Estimated delivery time varies.
Returns:
No Returns Accepted

eBay will cover your purchase price plus original shipping.
Learn more

Seller info
cbquad ( 514)
97.6% Positive feedback
Ask a question
Save this seller
See other items

Other item info
Item number: 140321226930
Item location: Fort Collins, CO, United States
Ships to: Worldwide
Payments:
PayPal See details
History: 6 sold
SharePrintReport item

Description

Shipping and payments
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Last updated on 03:56:34 PM PST, Jan 09, 2010 View all revisions
Item specifics - Car Speakers
Type: Full-Range Speaker(s) Size: --
Component Type: -- Brand: --
RMS Wattage: -- Model: --
Condition: --
Item specifics - Parts & Accessories
Part Brand: -- Surface Finish: --
Manufacturer Part Number: -- Warranty: --
Placement on Vehicle: -- Condition: New

2000 - 2007 DODGE MERCEDES-BENZ SPRINTER VAN AUDIO UPGRADE

THIS IS A BRAND NEW PRODUCT MANUFACTURED IN THE UNITED STATES BY KUSTOM KAR AUDIO, IN BOULDER, COLORADO

THESE CUSTOM FABRICATED DOOR PANELS WILL INCREASE THE AUDIO SOUND AND CLARITY IN YOUR SPRINTER VAN

THESE PANELS CAN BE INSTALLED IN UNDER 2 HOURS. EASY INSTALL, YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF!!

MANUALS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ARE INCLUDED FOR EASE OF INSTALL

MOUNTING HARDWARE AND WIRING IS INCLUDED AS WELL

NEW SYSTEM WILL USE THE POWER SOURCE FOR YOUR DASHBOARD SPEAKER SETUP AND DIRECT THE SOUND TO THE MEMPHIS AUDIO SPEAKERS IN YOUR NEW DOOR PANELS FOR AN INCREASED AUDIO EXPERIENCE

SETUP PROVIDES BETTER CLARITY, MORE MIDBASE, BETTER STEREOPHONIC SOUND AND BETTER IMAGING THAN YOUR STOCK SYSTEM

SYSTEM WILL WORK WITH ANY FACTORY AM/FM/CD/CASSETTE HEAD UNIT OR AN AFTERMARKET UNIT

SPEAKER MODEL - MEMPHIS CAR AUDIO 5 1/4" COMPONENT SYSTEM IN EACH DOOR

THE MEMPHIS SPEAKERS INCLUDE A 5 1/4" MID BASE DRIVER AND A 1" TWEETER

YOU WILL NOT LOOSE ANY OF YOUR PASSENGER OR DRIVER SIDE STORAGE ROOM. THIS UNIT JUST BOLTS RIGHT ONTO THE DOOR PANEL

AUCTION IS FOR TWO (2) DOOR PANELS, ONE FOR THE DRIVER SIDE, ONE FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE DOOR

THESE UNITS WILL WORK WITH SPRINTER VANS WITH POWER WINDOWS ONLY

INCREASE THE SOUND IN YOUR SPRINTER VAN!!

surlyoldbill

A surface mount limits the amount of resonant space, and won't sound as "loud" or as "full" as a speaker mounted in a cavity. I would check the mount location and make sure it isn't blocked by the seat or by where you normally put your leg. Could be a simple solution for better sound if you only have the dash 4" speakers, though.

surlyoldbill

Here's my experience with changing out the front speakers to the VR3 units:

1. When I tried to pull off the drivers' side A-pillar cover, the entire foam insert exploded. The cleats on the pillar cover just would not come out. So, I have to order a new foam insert. ( P/N 05123185AA) :yell: The pillar cover does not have to be removed entirely; only enough to clear the speaker cover. The passenger side released much better...

2. The speaker covers come up without too much problem. Note how it snaps in.

3. As was stated, bend three of the four mounting tabs off the new speaker. Then drop them in. I did not tape them or adhere them at all. The fit seemed snug enough.

4. Reinstall the pillar cover, giving a good whack over the areas of the three mounting pins.

They do sound better, but now that I have to replace the foam insert, the total project is considerably more than 24 bucks. Oh well, might as well take the opportunity to run the cable up to the rear view camera/mirror.
You may not have to replace the foam, just use a little compatible glue and put it back together. Construction adhesive may not melt the foam, but check the label. Use a couple supports like toothpicks or something punched into the pieces at the joint to pin them together. The whole thing is hidden, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

ohlsonmh

Grumpy Member
You may not have to replace the foam, just use a little compatible glue and put it back together. Construction adhesive may not melt the foam, but check the label. Use a couple supports like toothpicks or something punched into the pieces at the joint to pin them together. The whole thing is hidden, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
"PL" brand Concrete Crack & Masonry sealant would do the job, I'm pretty sure.

It sets to a rubbery consistency, and doesn't seem to have much if any solvent reaction - extremely useful in boat caulking, and the County uses it on cracks in my local reservoir dam, where it has stayed nice & rubbery in full sun for years.

Caution - VERY sticky and hard to remove from unwanted areas: wipe up over runs immediately!

Get it a Home Depot or Lowe's, not expensive.

-Oly

surlyoldbill

It could always be covered by wax paper after application, since it's covered by the pillar. That way it would never mess up the pillar.

glasseye

My passenger-side foam insert broke on disassembly, too. Three pieces. I glued it back together with 3M spray adhesive. I tested a small patch first to see if it dissolved the foam. :2cents:

My passenger-side foam insert broke on dis-assembly, too. Three pieces. I glued it back together with 3M spray adhesive. I tested a small patch first to see if it dissolved the foam. :2cents:
Mine was similar. Into 2 pieces on my Driver side. I used Goop to glue them back together. It once was named "Shoe Goop" until most everyone figured out that it works with pretty much everything. Some blue painter tape held all in place until it dried.

My guess is that the foam filler becomes important if you are thrown into the pillar in a crash situation. Other than that I can't see where the structural integrity of the foam matters. I always wear my seat belt and hope that the integrity of the foam in the pillar is never important to me. FWIW. vic

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Does anyone have an X-ray view of the door? Can 6 inch or 6X9 inch speakers be mounted in the door? If so where, seems like forward you would miss the window, but I don't know where the window motor is.

Rob
2004 Westfailia

Colorado_Al

Wallyworld is still selling the VR3 for $24. Just picked up a pair today. Super simple replacement.
Including the trip to Walmart, I had the replacements installed in under 1 hour. They sound so much better than the paper speakers that came with it! Thanks for the tip!

VR3 is like walmart's store brand car electronics. They sound great though!

Last edited:

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Crazy, I was unable to find the VR3's anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/VR3-STEREO-ROUND-SPEAKERS-WATTS/dp/B000VXM95K shows them as unavailable.

Walmart has $24 4" speakers from Boss

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boss-4-2-Way-Speaker-With-Poly-Injection-Cone/11968846#Shipping+&+Delivery

They also have some Clarion 4" speakers for $39 that look good

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clarion-SRG1021R-G-Series-Coaxial-Speaker-System-4-140W-Max/14166119

The magnet appears to be quite large and the low end of bass could be quite good, but I fear it won't fit. Anyone tried those? I guess I will go by Walmart and see if they have the VR3s in the stores despite not being on the internet anywhere.

-Randy

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
I decided to go with the infinity's cost $65 from barney's electronic, nice snug fit easy install. You gotta crank'em kinda louder then normal though to hear them at 60 MPH +. If I had two more speakers I could definitely hear them easier and have more of a surround sound feel. gotta look into that soon. Anybody have any above the front window speaker install pictures?:thinking:

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Well, since Walmart was closed all night, I just poured over the internet and found EVERY manufacturer of 4" speakers and then whittled the list down, finally selected the JVCs for just a few dollars more.

http://www.buy.com/prod/jvc-cs-hx43...-pmpo-4/q/loc/111/215179183.html?listingid=-1

I have an office stereo from them with 4" speakers that I specifically got due to the incredible bass response they had. I wasn't even looking to buy but I walked into Good Guys and Fiona Apple's Criminal came on and thru the fog of sounds in the stereo store I heard this incredible reproduction of that low bass opening and had to buy it.

As I compare specs on the web, the JVC's and Pioneer's are the only brands that claim to get below 70hz. Lots of name manufacturers don't, so if the specs don't lie and my experience with JVC says they don't, I should be very happy when they arrive. I'll follow up.

-Randy

Top Bottom