Water in storage compartment

shf

2012 Unity IB
2012 Unity IB; I found a puddle of water in the #2 storage compartment on the left side. It had rained but the door was latched. This compartment is below the water heater. No sign of water inside the coach, dry under the sink.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
What do you store in that compartment? I found water in there once but then it hit me that I was storing my fresh water hose and electrical cord in there. Water still left in the fresh hose would leak out as I changed elevation while driving.

Normand

By-the-way I always attach hose both end together before I store them. This way remaining water do remain in them.

GMoney749

What do you store in that compartment? I found water in there once but then it hit me that I was storing my fresh water hose and electrical cord in there. Water still left in the fresh hose would leak out as I changed elevation while driving.
Same here, mine was the black tank flush hose in the right rear compartment of our MB. Nothing else above that compartment but another compartment that was completely dry. Took several days for that one to hit me. :doh:

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
By-the-way I always attach hose both end together before I store them. This way remaining water do remain in them.
I do the same but have had some leak out anyway. I found a shallow and wide plastic storage bin that fits into the compartment and can carry my fresh water hose and other fresh water accessories (spray nozzle, water filter, pressure regulators). I put my electrical cord on top of the bin lid. Since I am frequently out in wet weather that compartment has a lot of moisture in it and I find I have to take advantage of occasions when I can prop the compartment door open to help dry it out.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
FWIW..... The hatches can look fully closed but are not. I hold the release handle as if to open the cover and gently push them closed with my leg just to be sure. When it clicks I release the handle. Sometimes just "legging" the fore and aft part of the lid discloses the it is not locked tight. There's a little click as it latches tight.

2012 Unity IB; I found a puddle of water in the #2 storage compartment on the left side. It had rained but the door was latched. This compartment is below the water heater. No sign of water inside the coach, dry under the sink.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks
I have the same issue in the same compartment. Below is response I received from Willie at LTV, I tried his suggestion to no avail. We still got moisture even when hot water heater was drained.The folks at RV world checked water heater and pipes but found no leaks. They finally drilled a hole in bottom of compartment so water doesn't puddle but we still experience moisture and mildew odor after a week or two in storage. We prop the compartment door open when parked at campground and it dries quickly and stays dry until it's closed up again.

Date: November 3, 2015 at 8:41:44 PM EST
To: "csmithgator@gmail.com" <csmithgator@gmail.com>
Subject: FW: Contact Us Submission [#9469]

It could be the latch put tape over them run some water see what happens.

mozart

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Hi, I had this same problem on one locker in my 2015 Unity TB when it was new. I described it to LTV and they immediately new the likely source... a leaking latch (locking type) and sent me a new one. I had Johnson RV of Sandy, OR install it and it solved the problem. The key bit of information was that it leaked even though the locker was properly shut and the motor home had not been used but the locker would get wet after a heavy rain shower (common here in the PNW). Hope this helps!

mozart

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Hi, I had this same problem on one locker in my 2015 Unity TB when it was new. I described it to LTV and they immediately new the likely source... a leaking latch (locking type) and sent me a new one. I had Johnson RV of Sandy, OR install it and it solved the problem. The key bit of information was that it leaked even though the locker was properly shut and the motor home had not been used but the locker would get wet after a heavy rain shower (common here in the PNW). Hope this helps!

JHMooney

2018 Unity MB
I’ve been camping in some heavy rain and found that the large outside storage closet door on my 2018 UMB is leaking. I think at the top of the door. The water appears to be running down the inside of the door and pooling on the floor of the compartment. I checked the gasket and it appears to be in good shape. Is there a way to adjust the top latch to pull the top of the door in tighter?

I know this has been covered before but had no luck searching for the thread.

Normand

I have the same problem with my 2016 UMB. Right from beginning I found water in this compartment. Doubt there is a solution because the hinges are only to the mid height of the door.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I had this issue and I added a strip of 3/8" foam weather strip (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-17-ft-x-3-8-in-Grey-Vinyl-Foam-Window-Weatherstrip/3223867) around the edge of the door to increase the sealing. I also added automotive screw clips to the inner lip of the opening where the latch touches to secure the door closed. This makes the door pull closer making a stronger seal. These 2 things stopped my leak. I tried adding washers to the latch mechanism in the door but it doesn't tighten well so that doesn't improve anything, so don't try that.

Attachments

BUSYBOB

2015 LTV Unity TB
Within the 2 year warranty period, I had a water problem in the front storage compartment on the passenger side when driving in rainy weather. I took it to Wagon Trail RV (now Van City) in Las Vegas for testing. The latch was not the problem. The front compartment was installed slightly offset from the opening and allowed rain water to enter the small gap between the door and the gasket material. Dismantling and repositioning the compartment was not an acceptable option to me. They ordered and replaced the gasket material around the compartment opening and checked the water tightness by inserting a piece of paper when the door was closed. The paper did not pull out. No more leaks since. Interestingly, the gasket material received from LTV was similar but not exactly the same at the other compartments.

geds

2018 Serenity
I use hose caps, so that the threads never touch anything and contaminate the hose while stretching and moving it.

andrewj

Having chased all of these ideas for a while, including the water hose, and exploring the latch closely, i found it was the retainer clip not pulling the latch tight enough against the metal door. Contemplated making a nice rubber seal out of an old inner tube, but got lazy and just put some RTV around the latch and reinstalling. Compartment has been dry for three years now. My guess is the latch mechanism and backer bar needs a thicker door to squeeze the seat properly on 100% of the time, and a new one may solve the problem.

JHMooney

2018 Unity MB
Thanks all. I removed the dog leg part of the latches and carefully bent them to pull the door in tighter. It seems to be working for now, we'll see.

Top Bottom