ripping out back rug, 2007 agile

riabreed011

hi folks -

wondering if anyone has had occasion to rip out and replace the rug in the back section of the agile. i spilled a mess of liquid fabric softener back there and it really has eluded ever being cleanable, in spite of many efforts and products tried.

i'd like to remove rug and replace. I'm mildly handy (removed the dreaded sliding sink, restrung the blinds, put a little jump seat attached to front wall of bathroom - not high speed wreck safe, I'm sure the entire wall would come off, but at slow speeds useful): any suggestions on the skill level required by this task, and/or how to go about it?

many thanks!

ria

riabreed011

hello folks -

after perusing general rv threads, I decided to go ahead and rip up the back carpet on my 2007 agile and replace it. The first pic is what the floor looks like under the old wall to wall. Fortunately Roadtrek did not go nearly as crazy with stapling the rug down as other manufacturers do, so removal required some strength but was not too tedious.

next two pictures show new carpet in place looking forward and then aft. I'll be hot gluing some seam binding down on the raw carpet edges this weekend. You may notice that I stuffed and covered the hole for holding the table leg: my early best investment was buying a tripod receptacle for the leg so that we could move the table wherever we wanted (including outside). I'm leaving carpet unsecured for easy removal (cleaning/future replacement).

and finally, just to that perennial question of whether or not to remove the sliding sink, i did, with the help of icarus and a few others. glued plexiglass on the interior of the bathroom wall and sealed it up with dow corning waterproof. hasn't leaked a drop. also visible in this pic is the handle i installed to make exiting the bed a little more graceful (!).

hope all of this is helpful/inspirational to some.

cheers - Ria

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371235190.820511.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371235214.045068.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371235233.645425.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371235256.145498.jpg

artnc

Hello..........Seems you solved things that have been bugging me. First, the placement of the hole in the floor for the pedestal table is not right for me. I never heard of the tripod holder you have. Do you know where I can get one? Second, I hate that stupid sink. Never can get it flush and it just gets in the way. I mean why waste space with a sliding sink when you have a full size one almost within arm's reach? Anyhow, I was wondering if there were any general instructions posted somewhere that might be a help to me in removing it? THanks

Art 2013 Agile

RT.SS

Hi Art,
The tripod folding table base is called "PORTA LEGGS" I think, try to google it.

riabreed011

Art -

The tripod base I have is made by Hengs, and I got it through RV Parts Outlet (see link below)

http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/product_info.php?products_id=11766&osCsid=e5e3c56hg1id6vki62iki7rfc0

I never liked the storage location of the table leg behind the driver seat, and the addition of the tripod made it impossible to store there anyway, so I now keep it in the back corner of the bathroom between the throne and the interior wall, velcro-ed in place, standing upright with the tripod already attached but folded up. Of course I have to take it out when anyone showers, but it frees up the room behind the driver seat for other things.

I'm rushing out the door to work, but I would be happy to send you pictures and a few details about my sink removal project. It was actually quite straightforward and easy.

Ria

artnc

ria, thanks for the Heng's link. Looking forward to info on the sink removal. As far as pedestal placement, I built a narrow magazine rack/bookshelf in the area behind the driver's seat and moved the pedestal to attach to the side of that narrow 3-tier bookshelf. Top is basically flush with the counter and, if memory serves me correctly, a bit over 3 inches wide. Keep our roadtrip and campground reference books there. I am sure I can find a place to put the base. I had moved the water pump closer to the bathroom and freed up almost 1/2 of the compartment under the cushion where the waterpump resides. It should fit nicely there.

art

Amboman

Carpet in a campervan is a dubious choice, as when you are camping you are surrounded by mud sand or dirt.

riabreed011

sorry to be so slow responding! 4 yr old's bday party this weekend :)

Art: your map/bookcase sounds great. Would love to see a Picture if you have the time/inclination. How does it work when you swivel the driver seat chair, or do you do that ever?

If you have successfully moved your water pump, I think removing the sliding drawer is gonna be child's play for you. It does depend on how finished you want the work to look, and I have not made the time to finish it in the manner in which I envisioned. So here are two pictures of my rather Rube Goldberg/incomplete work.

The first is obviously from the back. It shows really the only thing that needed to be capped off, the old sink drainpipe. I just parked in from the hardware store and kept bringing out plumbing fittings until I found something that worked. Certainly if you wanted to go inside the wall panel it could be cut off/capped more elegantly so that less of it intrudes into the sleeping foot space.

The second shot shows the clear superhard Plexiglas that I chose to block off the sink cavity with. I cut it rectangularly to overlap the opening, and put it in place with waterproof Dow Corning epoxy. Nary a leak in the year and a half since I did this. (You can also see the table leg with the folded tripod base attached stowed in the corner of the bathroom.)

For my finished vision, I had planned on maybe putting a whimsical picture of fishes in an aquarium or something facing into the bathroom behind the plexiglass (to entertain my grandkids while they are showering) and then cut a piece of wood to attach from the exterior to make the wall one unbroken surface. Maybe someday.... In the meantime, it is workable for us and I often have a pillow or alcohol thing, so visual cosmetics are not really the most pressing issue.

Amboman: true that! However, I use the Roadtrek for many things besides camping. It is a frequent daily driver for me; we often go for daytrips; my family uses it as an urban extra bedroom; and I do my paperwork, phone calls, & writing in it when I want an office with an oceanview: I even have the occasional business meeting in it. For all of those occasions a full-length attractive carpet is wonderful.

For those snow gravel dust wet camping moments, the beauty of the carpet is that now that i have unglued the original, I can roll up the new ones and put them in back if I want, briskly sweep while on the road, and/or haul them out when we get home and vacuum/shampoo/hose them down to my hearts content, and then plop them back in. And a $40 a pop for the carpet scrap I purchased, I could replace it every year if I wanted without really breaking the bank.

The only time I really envy adventurous owners is when we are camping and I am bringing two dogs in wet with rain. I love that space where the rs has the two passengers cabin seats as a kind of vestibule to dry the dogs down in. There is no vestibule in the agile! (Although, and this is my last comment in this rambling post, I did make a sort of again Rube Goldberg removable shelf that I put in the sliding door well when we are on the road. One of our dogs loves to lie in that space, and it gives just that much extra room.)

Would love to hear how your project goes, Art!

- Ria

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371502097.000690.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371502112.217786.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371502125.567297.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371502069.350452.jpg

riabreed011

"Or alcohol thing"...! Snort. I wish. Damned if I know how that got in there. Meant to say "a pillow covering the thing"...

picture of sink removal

was not building a piano. works good. no leaks. I think it was a piece of acrylic I used. Stainless steel screws and silicone. Closed in the back side with the piece of paneling that was covering the underneath of the cabinet in the same location.

On a side note, doesn't water leak down the faucet hose housing. I usually tape mine off.

Attachments

Last edited:

artnc

Ria, thanks so much for posting info and pix. It looks really simple. Bought my RT with the intention of using it a few years and then selling it and it would be nice to put it back in original shape. So do you think that once that mod is done, it would be possible to re-install the original sink/drain etc without too much hassle? I bet that mod really makes the rear feel a lot more open by being able to remove that large plastic black cover thing that hides the drain and sink when it is recessed.

I will be happy to post a pix of that narrow bookshelf. I only tried once to turn the seats around and it was not worth the trouble to us since it is only 2 adults and a German Shepherd. Hmmm? That's almost like a 3rd adult and smarter than many. Which brings me to that great idea of the shelf when the door is closed. I want to do that also. Is it merely a flat piece of wood with those visible handles that slips in the cavity or is there some sort of support underneath?

It is raining now but I will take a pix of the bookshelf and post it. Very simple and conceptually like a boat shelf..narrow...only 3 levels with a crosspiece on each of the levels to keep the items in there. I even have some extra room for the leveling blocks there. But for those who rotate the front seat, I think that shelf will get in the way.

Also, I had removed that (to me) useless heavy folding table that fit in the narrow drawer just above the microwave and now use the drawer for more storage. It is only about an inch high but lots of misc stuff goes well in there.

The tripod is on it's way and thanks to you and eveyone else for all your help.

Art 2012/2013 Agile

artnc

Ria, Here is a Pix of the shelf I put in behind the driver's seat. And found a place to put the table post that is out of the way. Bottom of table post and floor under it has small piece of velcro to better hold it in place.

Art

Attachments

riabreed011

Art -

thanks for the pix. Very nice, clean work, and finished to match. From the look of it I think one could swivel the seat if need be (for a while we were traveling 2 humans 3 canines with only one of us approaching German shepherd smartness and those swiveled seats were in high demand during the night).

I was worried about resale value too, and kept the sink and fittings until this spring cleaning when out they went. When I talked with the original owner of my agile they would've taken the sink out too except they were worried abt resale: and then they sold it to me, who hated it from the beginning! So....I'll take my chances, maybe even charge more :)

The wooden step insert is actually a little four footed stool that I just plop into the stair well. When it's not in place it lives behind the driver's seat with the trash can on top of it. One certainly could rig it another way or two, this was just easiest for my skills. You can actually use that door with it in place: turns it into kind of a ladder experience.

Happy tinkering! Let us know how your sink project turns out.

Ria
2007 agile with 2006 T1N

Trekker

Trekker
While we don't have the sliding sink in our RS Adventurous, I offer this as a possible fix for the leaky sliding Agile sink problem. The faucet/diverter on our fixed sink that is mounted in the corner of the shower broke and leaked whenever the faucet was turned on. Not a huge problem, because the water just ran down into the sink, but still...

In order to replace the faucet, I had to remove the entire sink assembly, as the space was just too tight to get to the plumbing connections. While I had it out, I realized that we never used that sink, so I decided to replace it with a simple faucet with no diverter or spout. I capped the drain, made a small shelf out of Corian, then made a plywood box to cover the opening in the corner and the pipes. The shower hose is hooked up to the faucet, and we have more space in the shower. It really opened it up quite a bit. Photos of the finished project below.

As I said, I'm not sure if this could apply to the Agile, but it might be food for thought, as many have posted about problems with that sink.

Attachments

Top Bottom