Upping the GVM on a 313 LWB Sprinter?

PeterInSa

A member of this forum to my understanding has a Sprinter with a 3.88T GVM, It was purchased with the 3.88T GVM as an option.

I have included Richards write up on 3.88T GVM vehicles from an earlier thread. Having in the past upped the load and towing capacity of our Cruiser and the carrying capacity of our Caravan using a certified Engineer and then the necessary government checks/signoff. I wondered what is minimum I need to get our Sprinter up to 3.88T in Oz. To me the additional welds could be the problem.

Ie a summary of Richards in depth write up, and has anyone done it.

Peter

Richards Write Up Follows...........

Export Sprinters
Depending on which country they are exported to the vehicles have a non completed VIN compliance attachment.
Weights are based on an empty van .
Maximum Gross Vehicle weight.
3800Kg
Sprinters can be ordered ex-works as a 3880t maximum (GVM) variant code [XL8] this code makes extensive technical modifications to the basic 3.55t model (90x 3) for 3888t GVM operation.
The main modifications are as follows.
-Adaptive diesel particulate filters for Euro 3 and euro 4
-Adaptive ESP control unit.
-Adaptive breaking systems.
-Adaptive wheels/tires(Load- carrying capacity) of 1800KG-Code A50
-Adaptive Reinforced rear axle with (load carrying capacity) of 2430Kg
-Adaptive chassis components, springs, anti-roll bar.
-Adaptive Additional welds on body shell and frame work reinforcements.
-Adaptive speed limiter where required.
If the electronic taco-graph is not required,e.g; non- EU countries or if the vehicle is being used as a "special vehicle" .It is possible to de-select this using [CodeX] _Omission of taco-graph.
The standard speedometer [CodeX] is then installed and the speed limiter is set depending on tires.
because of extensive technically modifications on load up-ratings...from 3.55T to 3800GVM is neither technically nor economically worth while to set separate compliance ratings .
These options directly effect cab chassis models if a separate body is fitted Commercial based vans if load ratings are changed with permanent fit-outs such as motor homes emergency or commercially modified works vans.
reinforced chassis are required to met code {E6}
Models with suspension combined to 4.55T variant and the de-rated variant 1660 x 3.5T variant can not be subsequently be re-loaded.
You can up rate or down rate
within 3.5 to 4.55TGVM
The number on the spring of the rear axle gives the set numbers , they may not line up to a compliance plate as the said plate does not have to be exact as to non certified compliance plates.
I have the numbers photos and GVM ratings to license compliance to MWB units in the class of 3500 to 4.4490 series I have yet to get the keys to a SWB single rim model 2T series to confirm how the numbers are based on the rear spring, Sunday I will have access to this unit.
If any one can locate the numbers on the back spring
Post the model you have SWB MWB LWB cab chassis year of plated on compliance plate.
Indicate if you have full ESP and ABS systems some models don't have them this also has an advantage as to rear axle modifications.
2500 or 3500 series
each number on the spring indicates what the model is if it's uprated or down rated.
On a closing note: N/A UK and Aus use the same standard Half and half with EU but the standards apply across all sectors with only slight variants.
the weights standards are separate to a manufactures standard MB plays with these to push the envolope, Standards keep slapping them on the wrist, so they get down rated {But do they?}
US has 90000LB axle loadings limits up to 2007
UK uses a tax based system for load limiters based on a figure past 4.025GVM where taco-graph is used
Australia has no loading limits on the vans but has a class weight as to license requirements for a medium class license after 4.55T.
Richard.

Eric Experience

Peter.
Most ambos have a second compliance plate showing an upgrade to 3.8 ton. Your local ambo builder will be able to give you the details. Eric

Top Bottom