Isolator Vs. Separator

HeadyTeddy

A few months back I purchased a NoCo 200amp isolator, in hopes of finally getting my house electrical system going. Being that I do not trust myself to tinker with my Sprinter's electrical system, I chose to have my isolator installed by a professional. My appointment was this morning. I am very glad that the installer that I chose is a professional, because he told me that an isolator is NOT the way to go with a Sprinter. In fact, on the product website for the isolator that I had purchased, there is a list of incompatible vehicles, which consists of only one vehicle....the Sprinter.

So it looks like a separator is the way to go. I am wondering if anyone would like to point me in the direction of the best separator. I am looking at Sure Power brand, but am not sure as to which model to purchase. I am charging one Optima Yellowtop Marine battery, which will power a vent fan, LED lights, and my 3way fridge when I am driving.

Would anyone care to let me know which model would work best with the Sprinter's electrical system?

Thanks!

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I'd think you simply need a relay that triggers from the D+ power. This is power only when you are generating power from the engine. It is used for the daylight running lights.
That is what the factory setup does.

HeadyTeddy

Thanks for your help everyone! I have one more quick question: Can someone explain the difference between a unidirectional and bidirectional separator?

d_bertko

Thanks for your help everyone! I have one more quick question: Can someone explain the difference between a unidirectional and bidirectional separator?
The Surepower separators are "smart" in that they give charging priority to one bank first.

The unidirectionals are generally installed to feed the alternator output to the starting battery first and then charge the house bank.

Bidirectionals would typically give the option of shore/gen power charging the house bank first and then topping off the start battery.

No big difference in daily use burt the bidirectional charge option is nice to have in case the starting battery needs charging. Sitting parked for two weeks or more or perhaps running a radio or other start-battery circuit would give a good reason for the bidirectional feature to allow the srarting battery to get topped up.

Your modest house bank implies that you would not need the more expensive 200a separator. The starting battery is also a small size and its size is not of much consequence.

Dan

Top Bottom