General Survey - What temps are you running??

thomasverfurth

Hi all, just looking for a benchmark figure here. Please no "you need to do this comments". Please help out by simply providing your direct answers to the following:

1. What coolant temperature does your sprinter operate at:
(a) Normal Idle
(b) Under general driving conditions around town
(c) Along the highway (90-100km/hr) - 3000rpm
(d) Continuous mountain climbs at 40-45km/hr 2500rpm

2. Where are you located (region)?

3. What are your general summer ambient outdoor temperatures?

With regard to my previous posts, our engin is operating cooler than what we have ever had it, thanks to some genuine parts. I am simply wanting to put out this survey to fellow sprinter owners to see where mine benchmarks now. I am well aware that there will be diffences between regions, vehicle ages, and engines - but as a said a general benchmark.

The twats at Mercedes dealership as they say "are not permitted to provide manufacturer operating specifics"

Thanks in advance, and if any of you want to be adventurous to put your van through the above paces (where possible) to give me proper readings that would be appreciated. :thumbup:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
You need to specify T1N or NCV3. Reading posts it seems the T1N's run cooler than NCV3's. They must have a lower temperature thermostat. My 08 runs at 193 degrees F in all conditions unless I am climbing hills in 100 degree ambient temperatures. My 08 has two electric radiator fans. As I recall the first one comes on when water temperature reaches about 206 degrees F and the second one comes on at 215 degrees F. The radiator capacity is not adequate for high temperatures. Temperatures read on a ScanGage.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
1a. Idle 170*F
1b. town 180*F
1c. Hwy 180*F
1d. Climbs 195*F

2. Pacific NW N.A.
3. summer 80*F without use of A/C
4. T1N read from dash gauge

Last edited:

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Highest temperature I've seen was 90° - (according to my ScanGauge). Hot day driving up a long steep climb with a medium load.

Typical temperature is around 84° regardless of ambient temperature. I mostly drive unloaded and at the speed limit.

EDIT: Just did a short trip, 35kms with a 10 minute break in the middle. Level road, speed limit <100kph.
Ambient temperature was 16.5° .
Coolant Temperature at start 15°, at finish 84°

Last edited:

sailquik

NAFTA T1N OM-647 with EPA Cert thermostat @ 180 deg. F (Yes, the thermostat and normal operating temp are part of the EPA emissions certification)!
(a) Normal Idle= 178-182 deg. F
(b) Under general driving conditions around town= 180-187 deg. F ( depends on ambient outside temps and AC use)
(c) Along the highway (60-70 MPH/ 90-100km/hr) -2400- 3000rpm= 180-187 deg. F.
(d) Continuous mountain climbs at 40-45km/hr 2500rpm= 185-207 deg. F
Who climbs hills in overdrive @ 2500 RPMs in vehicles with engines that make their power @ 2800-3150 RPMs?
Roger

nathanhdunn

2017 319 v6 ex-ambo
I'm with Geoffs , about 85 degrees regardless of what I'm doing, but then I havn't had it in cold weather yet, or heavily loaded.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi all, just looking for a benchmark figure here. Please no "you need to do this comments". Please help out by simply providing your direct answers to the following:

(a) Normal Idle
(b) Under general driving conditions around town
(c) Along the highway (90-100km/hr) - 3000rpm
(d) Continuous mountain climbs at 40-45km/hr 2500rpm

2. Where are you located (region)?

3. What are your general summer ambient outdoor temperatures?

With regard to my previous posts, our engin is operating cooler than what we have ever had it, thanks to some genuine parts. I am simply wanting to put out this survey to fellow sprinter owners to see where mine benchmarks now. I am well aware that there will be diffences between regions, vehicle ages, and engines - but as a said a general benchmark.

The twats at Mercedes dealership as they say "are not permitted to provide manufacturer operating specifics"

Thanks in advance, and if any of you want to be adventurous to put your van through the above paces (where possible) to give me proper readings that would be appreciated. :thumbup:
There are variations between regions..Its not the ambient temperature rather humidity that send the temp up past 80C...region to watch 77% Humidity.
Mercedes can provide you with the information required but there is a small cost attached and it depends on what your wanting to know.
Temperatures are matched to coolant code NO 561: intake pressure code No 562:Oil temperature code NO 44: Oil quality ..."that's a tricky one for Mercedes as specific two way tests for comparison are required.

Mercedes doe's not do this operation unless you have an exceptionally good relationship with the dealership and an identical van to run the tests with.

Oil level has an influence as does injection with low fuel pressure tests Code NO 555; this is the critical test for evaluation as the range for specified values and Actual values must be above the minimum and not exceed the maximum of....[2500....40000 mbar unit}
The above is based on idle engine speed for actual values Code NO 46 Actual value 751 ....unit 1/mm.

However nothing is as simple as it seems the tech needs the values for the tests by having the actual values of Oil/ Water/ and fuel.

Ideally your temp should not exceed a variation of 4c at as stated by your self on {C} and {D} irrespective of loads, fast acceleration at peak rpm will spike the temp gauge by 4C maximum. this is determined by both Codes for Actuation period of main injection under maximum turbo thrust and Atmospheric pressure again special equipment is need for this test on road evaluations, Mercedes again does not offer this service.

There is another test and this is matching both engine oil temperature to and from Coastal and mountain climbs with varying elevations, to compare both oil temperature and water temperatures."The latter is not available to a common owner."

Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Bugger:bash: I never saw that one coming:thumbup:
However be it an older varinat the rule of thumb is still applicable.The variations come in length and height of van, including transmission ratios and final axle ratios.

Granted! Not a Tin in a can CDI..However they should be similar.
Richard

I'm with Geoffs , about 85 degrees regardless of what I'm doing, but then I havn't had it in cold weather yet, or heavily loaded.
Same as you Nathan, I'm outta Sydney and have just been up to Mudgee and back towing a trailer, temp gauge didn't move off 85 deg up over the Blue Mountains and back. The ambient temp was in the upper 20's, long high T1N.
Rob.

david_42

Typically mine sits at 84C, idling and below 100 kph. At 120 kph it's about 87C. Worse case was climbing through the Rockies, about 2 km up, air temperature around 42C, A/C running. It almost hit 98C, which is well below the boiling point of the coolant.

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
Normal temp is 184F. Under load and running her hard she runs up to 191 to 193. I have found that she is very sensitive to the fluid ratio. A low ratio of antifreeze makes her run hot.

I run mine at around 55 to 60 percent antifreeze because I might be in Fargo ND one day and california the next. (It has happened).

I always buy full strength antifreeze and mix it myself to get the proper ratio.

My numbers come from Scanguage

Napa G05

Last edited:

Since we Yanks have jumped in here...

My light to medium loaded NAFTA 2004 T1N 2500 140WB typically hovers around 180F (80C). It is a tick low (not a gauge marking, a small amount) in colder ambient 32F (0C) and a couple ticks over in higher ambient 70+F (21+C). When I'm towing my boat in the summer (2500# or so boat with trailer) it is not unusual to see temperatures around the 215F (100C) range. While towing I will reduce speed if I notice that my temperatures don't readily drop back to the 215F mark when they do climb above. It has not been necessary to reduce speed in other than mountain long steep grades.

Some info.

00000TempGauge.jpg

A colder ambient temperature observation related to a thermostat question.

FWIW. My 2004 T1N has always been OK for heat. The other day I watched things a bit closer to get some timing. About 30 F ambient. A 1/2 mile back street drive to the expressway entrance ramp. About 2 miles to the toll barrier 55 mph limit. 65 mph limit from there.

Started van @ approx. 7:42 a.m.
Temp hit 145 F about 7:48 a.m.
Temp hit a couple ticks below 180 F about 7:56 a.m.
About 8:07 a.m. still just under 180 F. I reduced the cabin blower fan speed and adjusted the vents because it was starting to get a bit hot.

Not very scientific, but gives an idea of how mine works. Same basic results in colder weather. It just takes a little longer to hit the temperature benchmarks.

I think Gears hit on a good thing to check with the jiggle valve. Anything which allows too much coolant to by-pass the stat will keep operating temperatures down. Any by-pass leakage will not affect summer driving temperatures so much.

I also think the 12 minute change out time and $75.00 parts described by Mr. Schmancy is better time spent and cost effective than a visit to the shop for evaluation. I'd try that first.:2cents: Hope this does some good. AP/vic
Fixed viscous fan clutch... is this ok operating temperature?

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=184793#post184793

The T1N's can get a buildup of leaves or debris in the condenser/charge air cooler/radiator stack. It is not easy to see the debris. I have used an LED light to shine through and check for blockage. Mine shined through well. I have not disassembled my stack to inspect though. With 250,000+ miles on the clock I suspect there is debris in there.

Sorry to go on. vic

Last edited:

WPJ

Since I have only run in colder winter months I may be out of scope. NAFTA NCV3 2013, mine typically runs as 89-90C I have not seem it vary much from there at all.

One thing to note us my 10k water heater is always on when I start the van it comes on I assume on warmer temps that this will stop buy for now it keeps things running consistent

Location canada

Top Bottom