Maybe buying 2004 Ford Transit ex Kea 'Freedom' help pls

fireman

6.jpg 5.jpg

3.JPG 2.JPG

Can anyone here help me put this possible MH purchase into perspective. I am looking at buying an ex Kea 'Freedom' 2.4 litre Ford Transit turbo diesel VJ LWB (long wheel base), 5 speed manual, done 198,00 klms photo attached

Asking price $36,000.

My questions are many ranging from whether this is a fair price, what to look for upon inspection, problems know to this model, what would I be looking at for future repairs with a vehicle this age (2004) and 198,000 klm

Any info or direction would be great. Thanks so much.

The details of purchase are;
• 2.4L t/diesel Ford Transit, 5 sp man, central locking, airbags, new tyres. Serviced by me every 5,000 kms and a I've kept a log of all repairs I've had done
• Dimensions 5.9m long by 2m wide by 2.7m high - car licence only, fits most outdoor carparks
• Side door provides access to electrical wiring/ plumbing/ pump/ back of fridge/ battery etc
• Second spare wheel, with new Yokohama tyre, for outback travel
• Reversing camera
• Nudge bar
• CB UHF radio
• Pure sine wave inverter - Sinergex 700w
• Diesel heater
• Queen bed or two singles
• Shower cubicle, with washbasin and flush toilet - Thetford cassette removes externally.
• New Digital/ Analogue Palsonic TV/DVD player
• Winegard antenna with digital reception booster
• FM/AM/CD in cab with rear speakers
• Built-in Safe
• Solar Panel with Steca controller - I don't know the size of the solar panel, but it has been more than sufficient for my use
• Hot water system runs from AC power (when connected) and via exchange with the engine coolant when traveling, stays warm 2-3 days
• Fresh water gauge
• 110L freshwater, 85L greywater
• Fiamma awning and twin bike rack designed for this make of Ford Transit Van (allowing back doors to open from inside)
• Cabin doors and windows fully screened against insects
• Insulated cabin
• Dometic reverse cycle air-conditioner
• Roof vent
• AGM house battery - 3 years old, never discharged, maintains 13-14v on solar or AC power
• Fridge/ freezer - 90 lt Vitrifrigo compressor-type (so does not need to be level), 12/240v, quiet
• Smoke alarm, with combined ionization and photoelectric sensorsPlenty of storage, including rails and hooks
• Includes long and short 15 amp power leads, two food-safe water hoses that can be connected into one long hose, tap fittings, heavy duty ramps etc.

The owner has emailed me the following re mechanical repairs done in the last 2 years;

"The major work done in the past few years has been replacement of the drive belt, front and rear wheel bearings, front disc brakes and machining of the rear brake drums (as a precaution due to a noise rather than poor performance, during which I also replaced the brake shoes although that wasn't strictly necessary). I also replaced all the fuel injectors when I first bought it to ensure maximum fuel efficiency, given that I planned to take it around Australia. On the motorhome side, the hot water service was overhauled by KEA in 2011 and the previous owner replaced the house battery in 2010 (I replaced the engine battery in 2011, again as a precaution and not because of poor performance). I do not believe in leaving things until they break down, but repair or replace as soon as an issue is identified - it is being sold with a spare drive belt, fuel filter and second spare wheel, which I carry as a precaution for outback travel, where ordinary parts can be unavailable. As I said in my previous email the engine has been serviced by me every 5,000 km (while I drove 50,000 km around Australia).

sparkie

Hey
It seems well equipped and nothing stands out as a red flag to me FWIW. I'm guessing you may not get much input on the vehicle side of things, this being a Mercedes Sprinter forum and all.
Maybe get a vehicle inspection and if it drives well; seems pretty good
Cheers

fireman

apologies for this being a Sprinter forum, I was not aware that you dont talk about other makes. Can you please tell me where would I be best to post this information. I mean no disrespect, Sprinters are great.
Kind regards Mal

Top Bottom