how to drain water from fuel filter?

Ryan S

i have a 03 dodge sprinter 2500, i have heard that i need to drain the water from the fuel filter from time to time? i've never done this and have no idea how to, i did search this topic and found some links but haven't found anything good yet...is this true? do i need to release the water from the system or is it a self draining system? does anybody have any videos on how to exactly perform this task?? thankyou:cheers:

talkinghorse43

i have a 03 dodge sprinter 2500, i have heard that i need to drain the water from the fuel filter from time to time? i've never done this and have no idea how to, i did search this topic and found some links but haven't found anything good yet...is this true? do i need to release the water from the system or is it a self draining system? does anybody have any videos on how to exactly perform this task?? thankyou:cheers:
There're 2 concentric, knurled knobs on the side of the filter. Turning the small one in the center counterclockwise will open a small valve and air will enter the filter until all the fuel in the fuel line runs back to the tank. To drain the water, you'll next need to crack the vent screw on the top of the filter - water and fuel will drain out of the center of the small knurled knob you turned. After draining water and closing the valve and vent screw, you may be able to start without too much trouble, or you may have to crank for an extended period to expel air from the system. (Mine will prime itself, but some owners have reported theirs won't.)

I never drain water from the filter unless the water in fuel sensor tells me it's there - only has happened one time since new. I also use an additive that disperses water so it shouldn't collect, but I suppose a big slug would overwhelm that effect.

expeditor

I also would not drain the water unless the dash light stays iluminated.

Page 14-3
Standard Procedures-Draining Water From Fuel Filter

Connect a hose to the Water in Fuel (WIF) drain and place it in a clearly marked and suitable container. Open the WIF drain by turning counterclockwise (Fig 3) Turn the ignition key on for 20 seconds (refer to low pressure fuel pump operation) Repeat the procedure until all water is removed, close the drain and remove the hose.

Drive Safely
Joe

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

I also do not drain the water unless the dash light stays iluminated.

Page 14-3
Standard Procedures-Draining Water From Fuel Filter

Connect a hose to the Water in Fuel (WIF) drain and place it in a clearly marked and suitable container. Open the WIF drain by turning counterclockwise (Fig 3) Turn the ignition key on for 20 seconds (refer to low pressure fuel pump operation) Repeat the procedure until all water is removed, close the drain and remove the hose.

Drive Safely
Joe
OP has an '03 - does not have a tank mounted electric fuel pump. So, your procedure will not work for him. Your procedure is for later models.

expeditor

The information I transcribed came from the factory cd.
Dodge Sprinter
216/316/416/616 2.7 CDI
Service and Repair Manual
2002-2006

P/N 81-370-06078

Version 1 SEP 05
48.27 MB
2300 Pages

Dodge Sprinter 02-06.pdf

Drive safely
Joe

Expediter,
Your CD manual may specify 2002 - 2006 model years, but there are two different engines used in the NAFTA models. NAFTA 2001 - 2003 Sprinters have the OM612 diesel engine. NAFTA 2004 - 2006 Sprinters have the OM647 diesel engine. One of the differences is that the OM612 engine has a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine which sucks fuel via the filter from the fuel tank. The OM647 fuel system has an in tank electric fuel pump which pushes fuel through the filter to the engine.

Your procedure is for engines which have an in tank fuel pump which Ryan S. deoes not have.

As to regularly draining water from the filter, I wouldn't do it unless the WIF water in fuel sensor indicates so on the dash. It is not like opening drain cocks on an airplane for pre flight checks. It's not designed for easy access and regular operation. It is possible that needlessly disturbing the seals and drain components on your water drain may cause other issues. The fuel seals on the OM612 suck system can be somewhat ornery, but that's just my opinion. YMMV. vic
The information I transcribed came from the factory cd.
Dodge Sprinter
216/316/416/616 2.7 CDI
Service and Repair Manual
2002-2006

P/N 81-370-06078

Version 1 SEP 05
48.27 MB
2300 Pages

Dodge Sprinter 02-06.pdf

Drive safely
Joe

expeditor

Expediter,

Your procedure is for engines which have an in tank fuel pump which Ryan S. deoes not have.

YMMV. vic
I might have to agree with you, because the filter shown in the factory cd does not look like the one in my '02 freightliner.

The filter shown in the free download, through this forum's link is the filter that is in my sprinter, which requires that it be filled with 0.4 liters of new deisel fuel, instead of turning the key on for 20 seconds

After completing my intake recall the shop gave me the printout of it's technical directions, which included r/r the fuel pump. The priming directions said to crank the engine, which should start within 60 seconds.

Drive Safely
Joe

expeditor

OP has an '03 - does not have a tank mounted electric fuel pump. So, your procedure will not work for him. Your procedure is for later models.
Thanks. You are right.
After reviewing the free downloaded file I discovered that the elephant trunk intake and the fuel delivery system,including the fuel filter, match the components in my van, and they are different in the factory cd which covers the om612/om647 version engine only.

At $19.95 plus $5.95 shipping, for the 2300 page manual I don't think I wasted much money because there are 698 pages, ahead of the actual service and repair section, which include
using the DRBIII, DRBIII error messages, diagnostic information and procedures, component locations, connector pinouts, schematic diagrams, charts and graphs, and 442 pages of fault codes and their indicated procedures.

Thanks for the heads up

Drive Safely
Joe

talkinghorse43

and they are different in the factory cd which covers the om612/om647 version engine only.
I'm not familiar with the manual you bought, but the NAFTA Sprinters up to and including '03 have the OM612 engine, while the '04-6s have the OM647. Shortly after I bought my Sprinter new in the summer of '03, I bought the '03 service manual (~$110) and have used it since. Don't know if it can still be purchased, or if all of it is available for download somewhere. It's a continuing good resource for me, so if you can find it, I suggest you pick it up. In addition to the manual, this forum's search tool is a great help as well as the search feature of the yahoo sprintervan forum. Lots & lots of good info in both forums.

expeditor

Ryan S

The procedure is shown in your operators manual.
Section 10 Practical Hints.

You can carry a spare until your dash light comes on, or the vehicle's performance begins to act up, or simply replace it during your 20,000 PM and not worry about it.

Drive Safely
Joe

Scottish

I have the same older model engine without the electric LP pump, you can use expediters method but instead of turning the ignition on, just run the engine for 20-30 secs instead.

Works for me, my local garage has it's tank below sea level and for years there's been a tiny bit of water ingress into the diesel tank, so I have to do it every 3 months.

Reuben

I've read what seams like 20 pages of post that discuss WIF but I'm still not sure what the procedure is to drain water from a fuel filter on a 2003 sprinter (OM612). Can someone please share the procedure for this? I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for the help!

Reuben

I should be more clear about my question. The owners manual says nothing about turning the ignition on, or starting the engine as part of the process. Is it recommended to do ether of these things, or should I just drian the water and then close the drain?

terra_firma

i've periodically tried to open the water bleeder on my fuel filter when doing changes and the like, but have never been able to loosten the thing up. my natural impulse is to try some pliers or a c wrench but....no. this is why i am not a mechanic. It would be good to get it operational though before i'm stuck somewhere far from home and need to try doing it in an emergency. I suppose another option is just changing the fuel filter and not even bothering to bleed water out of the old one.

Top Bottom