Status
Not open for further replies.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
Last edited:

Kat

Katmobile
Max,

Thanks for the shocking and informative video clips; my heart is already heavy with sorrow from what was revealed in them.. I haven't seen the "500 Nations" film but will definitely do so a.s.a.p. (In doing a Google search, it looks like the documentary is available online, so I think tonight I'll start watching it).

As a kid in school, we were never taught about how EVIL the white man was to the native Americans; only that they were "savages" (although I knew they weren't). Just goes to show the kind of brainwashing they tried to do on us as youngsters (good thing I didn't listen). I think it's time that I start learning the truth about what we did to the native Americans...

And now I know why my friend who spent time with the Lakota, says they are "first to question, and last to trust". Being so busy with my van conversion, I haven't yet started to read the book "Crazy Horse by Mari Sandoz" that was given to me. But Max, with the videos you posted, you have given me inspiration to start reading it.

Thanks again for the videos!

Kat

maxextz

here are a couple of books i recommend reading,bury my heart at wounded knee was for me personally a very hard book to read.i have always been interested in native americans from young and hope to someday to visit Dakota and wounded knee.

http://www.amazon.com/Bury-My-Heart-Wounded-Knee/dp/0099526409/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310158481&sr=1-3

the other book is called black elk speaks its about the lifetime of an Oglala sioux holy man,its written as it was spoken or the stories were told and jotted down and gives an insight into a way of life and culture of the lakota sioux,with funny childhood stories ,his visions and traveling with the buffalo bills show.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Elk-Speaks-Being-Oglala/dp/0803283857/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310158536&sr=1-2

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Far more Indians were killed by other Indians than by anyone else.

Just as the Irish have killed many Irish

Kat

Katmobile
Far more Indians were killed by other Indians than by anyone else.

Just as the Irish have killed many Irish
Okay, but how many of them were tricked into giving up all of their weapons under the guise of signing a treaty, and then mercilessly slaughtered? Sure, there is often "collateral damage" when MEN are at war, but how often are/were large groups of women, children and babies INTENTIONALLY slaughtered? It seems to me that this was a particularly evil event.

Kat

230321a

Sounds a bit arrogant or is it Pompous……. O-Blade. How much history would you like us Americans to know. Pick a time in history or better yet a place and time and you will always find man's cruelty to man.

My family, mothers side, come from the Great Cherokee Nation . My Grandmothers family was from the Laton Oklahoma area of the plains. Grandma, as a little girl and her family were taken in by white sod buster settlers by the name of Shaw. The settlers would dress them as white kids to spare their lives when the U.S. Cavalry would come calling. She worked Mess Hall tents as a slop jar, and latrine cleaner for the Great Expansion, Rail Road, which brought death and destruction to several generations of peoples. There is a lot more to this personal story, but the point is not that they were Indians, Savages of the land. It is man’s inhumanity to man. Pick a period and place.
Your expanded informed mind really only needs to know the 1st Testament of the Bible. and all follow-on history is circular.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

boxcar

Am deeply appreciative of all you are presenting here, Max. Pilamayayelo, mita tansi.

In the above photograph, taken as the Big Foot riders arrived to the knee that fittingly bitter -50F wind chill morning December 29, 1990, I was there with the people at the mass grave.

~Mitakuye Oyas'in~

maxextz

Am deeply appreciative of all you are presenting here, Max. Pilamayayelo, mita tansi.

In the above photograph, taken as the Big Foot riders arrived to the knee that fittingly bitter -50F wind chill morning December 29, 1990, I was there with the people at the mass grave.

~Mitakuye Oyas'in~

thank you for your very kind comments.its a beautiful picture and the photographer mentioned how incredible an occasion it was and to be apart of it.

Last edited:

maxextz

White Buffalo Woman
This is a central myth of the Plains tribes, especially the Lakota, or Sioux. It tells how the Lakota first received their sacred pipe and the ceremony in which to use it. It has often been related, for example by Black Elk, Lame Deer and Looks for Buffalo.

In the days before the Lakota had horses on which to hunt the buffalo, food was often scarce. One summer when the Lakota nation had camped together, there was very little to eat. Two young men of the Itazipcho band – the ‘Without-Bows’ – decided they would rise early and look for game. They left the camp while the dogs were still yawning, and set out across the plain, accompanied only by the song of the yellow meadowlark.

After a while the day began to grow warm. Crickets chirruped in the waving grass, prairie dogs darted into their holes as the braves approached, but still there was no real game. So the young men made towards a little hill from which they would see further across the vast expanse of level prairie. Reaching it, they shielded their eyes and scanned the distance, but what they saw coming out of the growing heat haze was something bright, that seemed to go on two legs, not four. In a while they could see that it was a very beautiful woman in shining white buckskin.

As the woman came closer, they could see that her buckskin was wonderfully decorated with sacred designs in rainbow-coloured porcupine quills. She carried a bundle on her back, and a fan of fragrant sage leaves in her hand. Her jet-black hair was loose, except for a single strand tied with buffalo fur. Her eyes were full of light and power, and the young men were transfixed.

Now one of the men was filled with a burning desire. ‘What a woman!’ he said sideways to his friend. ‘And all alone on the prairie. I’m going to make the most of this!’

‘You fool,’ said the other. ‘This woman is holy.’

But the foolish one had made up his mind, and when the woman beckoned him towards her, he needed no second invitation. As he reached out for her, they were both enveloped in a great cloud. When it lifted, the woman stood there, while at her feet was nothing but a pile of bones with terrible snakes writhing among them.

‘Behold,’ said the woman to the good brave. ‘I am coming to your people with a message from Tatanka Oyate, the buffalo nation. Return to Chief Standing Hollow Horn and tell him what you have seen. Tell him to prepare a tipi large enough for all his people, and to get ready for my coming.’

The young man ran back across the prairie and was gasping for breath as he reached his camp. With a small crowd of people already following him, he found Standing Hollow Horn and told him what had happened, and that the woman was coming. The chief ordered several tipis to be combined into one big enough for his band. The people waited excitedly for the woman to arrive.

After four days the scouts posted to watch for the holy woman saw something coming towards them in a beautiful manner from across the prairie. Then suddenly the woman was in the great lodge, walking round it in a sunwise direction. She stopped before Standing Hollow Horn in the west of the lodge, and held her bundle before him in both hands.

‘Look on this,’ she said, ‘and always love and respect it. No one who is impure should ever touch this bundle, for it contains the sacred pipe.’

She unrolled the skin bundle and took out a pipe, and a small round stone which she put down on the ground.

‘With this pipe you will walk on the earth, which is your grandmother and your mother. The earth is sacred, and so is every step that you take on her. The bowl of the pipe is of red stone; it is the earth. Carved into it and facing the centre is the buffalo calf, who stands for all the four-leggeds. The stem is of wood, which stands for all that grows on the earth. These twelve hanging feathers from the Spotted Eagle stand for all the winged creatures. All these living things of the universe are the children of Mother Earth. You are all joined as one family, and you will be reminded of this when you smoke the pipe. Treat this pipe and the earth with respect, and your people will increase and prosper.’

The woman told them that seven circles carved on the stone represented the seven rites in which the people would learn to use the sacred pipe. The first was for the rite of ‘keeping the soul’, which she now taught them. The remaining rites they would learn in due course.

The woman made as if to leave the lodge, but then she turned and spoke to Standing Hollow Horn again. ‘This pipe will carry you to the end. Remember that in me there are four ages. I am going now, but I will look on your people in every age, and at the end I will return.’

She now walked slowly around the lodge in a sunwise direction. The people were silent and filled with awe. Even the hungry young children watched her, their eyes alive with wonder. Then she left. But after she had walked a short distance, she faced the people again and sat down on the prairie. The people gazing after her were amazed to see that when she stood up she had become a young red and brown buffalo calf. The calf walked further into the prairie, and then lay down and rolled over, looking back at the people.

When she stood up she was a white buffalo. The white buffalo walked on until she was a bright speck in the distant prairie, and then rolled over again, and became a black buffalo. This buffalo walked away, stopped, bowed to the four directions of the earth, and finally disappeared over the hill.

http://www.livingmyths.com/Native.htm

maxextz

Cowkeeper

While not as well known as other names on this list, Cowkeeper (aka Ahaya) was truly hardcore and one of the earliest-known leaders of the Seminole tribe. When early Spaniards began attacking Indian settlements, he began raiding right back at them. He loathed the Spanish so much, he believed the only way to the afterlife was to kill 100 of them. However, his bloodlust didn’t extend to the British, who respected his tribes rebellious spirit. In 1783, after falling ill, he confessed that he had only killed 86 Spaniards and asked his sons to kill 14 in his name.

Read more: http://ie.askmen.com/top_10/celebrity/top-10-legendary-native-americans_10.html#ixzz2Mswk6lCj

Attachments

dodger413

i visit wounded knee every year during Sturgis bike week.

the first time by accident. took a wrong turn onto Pine Ridge Reservation and came upon Wounded Knee while trying to find my way off. go back every year now.

America should be ashamed of the way and conditions that Native Americans are living in.

B

boxcar

...i have always been interested in native americans from young and hope to someday to visit Dakota and wounded knee.

.... You do ever make it out this way then please make me aware of this, Max. Will take you to the Knee & other places sure to stir your heart. Lots of places remaining out here where one may still listen for as well as hear the "whispers of the grandfathers".

.... Now, tansi, asking in a good way: Mr. Locky Locksmith may be wise to lock this thread once again, assuring respect be maintained. My opinion, cousin.

larrygee

America should be ashamed of the way and conditions that Native Americans are living in.
I've been to wounded knee and what struck me as odd was how ...."unattended" this memorial or shrine or sacred ground was.. by unattended, I mean as if someone wants it forgotten. It was barren and understated. Hard to describe.

No doubt, the treatment of Native Americans by our country men was not a shining example of colonialism. It was a black eye on our history. Very Sad.

Having said that and with all deference to the suffrages of the Native American, the "conditions" and problems (high alcoholism rates and drug use) of the population are, in some respects, of their own doing.

You can cry in your whiskey, or you can effect change. Every man has that capability.

There are thousand upon thousands of incidents with the treatment of Native Americans. After they were put on reservation the treatment got worse than just killing them. My Uncle's were taking from there family and brought to a school 250 miles away, anytime they spoke in there own language they were beat over and over. Any time they talked about home they were beat. When my mother got sick they took her to a hospital 100 miles away and wouldn't tell her parents anything. When they found out where she was they wouldn't let them see her. They had to break her out and hide her at home for years tell they gave up looking.
This happened all across the US and Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom