Structural Integrity Question

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Altered Sprinter, From what your saying they would spot weld just around the window and re-seam it. Is this correct to allow for structural integrity ? YES
If the out-skin for a Sprinter with a windows has a curvature to it, then it would also mean the inner substructure would also have a curvature to it that means there would be two separate part numbers for the inner substructure if it were ever to be replaced.YES
One for a Sprinter with a window and one with out. If my understanding from what your saying is correct. Does the Sprinter parts catalog show separate part numbers for this?
Yes it does but its not that simple as to how a parts section is set to a specific variant the 906 series.
To access part numbers you log into EDC then access your Vin via V doc to determine the correct numbering sequence in part numbers for your van.

To find another part number for a passenger variant! you have to have the passenger Vin number to match the part number for the model that is identical to the one you own.
It can be manually searched for. but it's a pain as to the way Benz has its EDC set up, it logs out if you divert from the original vin. [Might be a glitch down home as EDC is windows 5 and everyone is running on Windows right the two are not comparable.

The outer panel is not an issue , it's the inside frame that creates the problem you can't pull it out as its part of the completed interracial frame work.

To be precise.the inside window Cargo frame blank window surround does not have the curvature to match with the outside. for a passenger glass window.

You have to manually roll the curve the Cargo variant of which is dead straight and deal with extra extended bits such as where the bracing meets center of the window frames.
cargo doors one brace widow blanks-outs in metal have two to three braces.

It can be done : but you need exacting internal measurements,once you cut out the inside metal Blank-out widow cargo braces.

The cut is repeat: Not flush with where both outside sheet metal work meets with the inside structural frames meet.

The cut out must be at a quick guess 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch below the joins as to where these panels joins: As a sheet metal worker needs to roll the internal frame.of which require a lot of work with oxy to flatten out the excessive metal profile moldings on the internal metal frame.
Glass internal frames are very different from blanked out metal windowless frames in design.
Just look at an example of a cargo rear glassed door, and the visual differences are huge.

Tin and NCV are identical with one exception that is the main glassed window passenger level base window beam it's now perforated with a series of punch out holes. along the entire rail and is refereed to as a crumple zone.

Just keeping metal shavings away from the paintwork is a headache everything has to sealed off where paint, and voids are present including the roof.

As the glass being fitted on the outside frame;of which is not fitted flush to the inner curve ,there is a small u channel plastic insert installed around the metal internal window frame,prior to widow dress Grey trim trim being fitted off which is optional.
I can run photos up but you only have to look at glassed and non glassed frames to see where the two differences are.in metal form-work.
Richard

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Hey Alter, I just watched the tail end of Mad Max 2 on the classic channel. Do you guys reinforce the Sprinters over there for this type of duty? :tongue:

Any ways, you Aussies made a great series back in the day:thumbup:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hey Alter, I just watched the tail end of Mad Max 2 on the classic channel. Do you guys reinforce the Sprinters over there for this type of duty? :tongue:

Any ways, you Aussies made a great series back in the day:thumbup:
Mad maxs dream-liner its bigger than Texas. look it up on the OZ threads:tongue: We have the lot down under including yours as well.
DSC01559 (Custom).JPG
Richard

72chevy4x4

wow-this is a fast moving thread.

someone stated they though the bracing between the window span top and bottom WAS structural. It is not structural because as you follow the the frame of the window to where it meets the brace in question you will notice that it is 'flat'. not until the brace extends into the window area does it have additional stampings to increase rigidity. If it were structural, the stampings would have extended all the way up or in some way overlap for body strength. As it stands, the built up metal at the front of th window opening provides the strength of that body panel (and back as well).

72chevy4x4

I was tricked! after briefly looking at the date in the first thread as 9/22 I thought this was a fast moving thread with 7 pages of replies in one day :thinking: Suppose I am a full year behind the curve!

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Here is a few pics of my cargo with factory windows(it was the 1st CARGO sprinter, w/ full factory windows to be shipped to USA ) And here you can see SMB cutting out windows https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15890
I'm confused by "1st CARGO sprinter, w/ full factory windows to be shipped to USA".
We ordered our CARGO sprinter (as a Freightliner) in 2007 (for model year 2008) with full factory glass.

What i'd like to know; will the CRL windows fit into the factory openings? If i have factory glass, can it be traded out for the operable windows made by CRL? Is the opening the same?

Jef

K-9 SPRINTER

I'm confused by "1st CARGO sprinter, w/ full factory windows to be shipped to USA".
We ordered our CARGO sprinter (as a Freightliner) in 2007 (for model year 2008) with full factory glass.

What i'd like to know; will the CRL windows fit into the factory openings? If i have factory glass, can it be traded out for the operable windows made by CRL? Is the opening the same?

Jef
When I was having all the problems in ordering my sprinter, they had Walther F. Bloch( Manager,Sprinter Engineering Support) contact me to get things straight. He said this was the 1st, 170ext 3500 cargo sprinter w/full factory windows to be sent to USA

As for swapping out the windows. It was so simple, SMB,gave me a huge discount in the installation(and they bought back the factories) The CLRs are not exactly oem. The door slider looks and fits better than the drivers rear. SMB did have to nip the frame around the bottom corner of the drivers rear to get in the screws, but the window itself in not exactly curved like oem. You can see what Im talking about in the pics. When I picked up my sprinter, I complained about the rear sticking out alittle further than the oem.They told me it was the window not being exact to oem and to make me happy and show, they removed it in front of me, and put in next to the factory that they removed.(you could see the curve was a little off) then they put in a different one, still the same gap!!. Then they took that the 1st one that they removed, and installed it in a sprinter, that they put in all 6 CLRs and it matched up perfect next to the other CLRs, but still stuck out in the bottom corner, like mine. It doesn't leak, and its not really noticeable , unless your looking to find a difference

Attachments

Last edited:

cedarsanctum

re: Member
I have heard of the bad fit of these windows before, and decided at the time they weren't going to work because of fit. Yours has convinced me to stick with the original.

Our van is a 170" 2500, so maybe it was the first of that model with full glass in a cargo. Doesn't matter, i still love having all the glass. Maybe if i did it again, i would do the CRL's all around so they match up and open a bit.

Jef

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Just read through most of the posts on this subject for the first time. If cutting holes in the vans is so critical, why would Mercedes be careless on using the adhesive to glue the braces to the sheet metal sides. My 08 144" had at least half of the structural supports unglued. Others were partially glued. I used a full tube of adhesive to glue all the supports to the sheet metal where they had missed. I suspect all the discussion is lawyer based. Someone should explain how the van will fail if you cut holes. Cutting holes will reduce the structural integrity. Will it reduce it enough to matter? If you keep the van sunny side up, it probably does not matter. If you put it upside down, then it will collapse more with window holes than without holes.

rb3232

Does anyone have anything to add to this thread. I'm getting closer to adding factory windows in my 2008 3500 ext mega roof. Thanks, Ross

djsincla

Page 81 I would guess is the definitive answer on retrofitting rear glass...

http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/wp-content/documents/SprinterBBIB2010Part2.pdf

Do not retrofit windows on Cargo vans delivered without windows, except in the following areas: rear doors & sliding doors. For Cargo van conversions with specific application windows (RV, shuttle bus, etc.), you must order the Cargo van either with windows or option “window opening without glass” (Option F27 fleet only).

Dwayne

I suspect all the discussion is lawyer based.
That's my take on it. Common sense is rarely effective in a court defense.

Cutting holes will reduce the structural integrity.
when those holes are not filled by something.
Will it reduce it enough to matter?
As you indicated previously, it will matter if lawyers get involved regardless of the structural integrity.

If you put it upside down, then it will collapse more with window holes than without holes.
Perhaps? You can't completely discount the strength of the window frame and any added supporting structure... oops, yes you can if lawyers are involved.

I know I don't have the inclination or enough money to pay for the engineering necessary to prove it all one way or the other. My opinions and worth everything you'll pay for it. vic

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I did think of something else on the subject. Recently someone posted a picture of a Sprinter with the sliding doors on both sides. How can you put that big a hole on both sides and then say adding a window is a problem?

psalm66

OK it's been 11 month's since the last post. Does anyone have more definitive info on EXACTLY what/how the XBA (openings w/o windows) option is different? The way I read the builders book it says with XBA, windows must have a frame, no XBA then no windows frame or not.

I don't want CRL's.... where can I get the best price on the OEM windows? Thanks, Ross
2008 NCV3 3500 EXT/MEGA
You might as well try to herd cats as to expect to get a definitive answer Ross. :smirk:
That should wake someone up ...

Top Bottom