E320 Bluetec versus Sprinter 2007 3.0L

ChristianQc

I can buy for $3 000 the engine (5000 miles) with the transmission and the turbo of a Mercedes E320 Bluetec 2007. Do you know if the parts (sensors, parts, turbocharger..) fit with my Sprinter( 2007, 3.0L, 2500)?
Thanks for your help.
Christian

ben322

I can buy for $3 000 the engine (5000 miles) with the transmission and the turbo of a Mercedes E320 Bluetec 2007. Do you know if the parts (sensors, parts, turbocharger..) fit with my Sprinter( 2007, 3.0L, 2500)?
I'm not sure about the engine, (should be the same), but the transmission in the '07+ E320 is a 7-speed. The '06 and earlier has the 5-speed transmission but the 3.2L I6, (this is one of the sweetest diesels made IMHO)

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Will they fit? The engine block will probably fit.

Is the engine compatible with your (ECM) Engine Control Module? I doubt it.

I know that the Sprinter OM642.993 is one of about 2 dozen OM642 variants running around North America.
Our Sprinters are the only OM642 that use the 642993 EGR valve (and probably EGR cooler, and probably EGR cooler temp sensor).

Your ECM is programmed to expect EGR cooler sensor input, and probably many other sensor inputs that are either not documented, or are poorly documented, or are documented but not available to mere mortals like us.

Without the expected sensor inputs, at the expected values, I think your ECM would drop you into limp mode really quickly, if you even managed to get the starter to engage.

If you owned a laptop running the latest version of MB DAS, you might get further..... but that's a huge guess and the cost of an "independent shop MB scan tool" is more than twice the cost of of your CDN $3,000 engine.

I don't know if the form factor for the 7-speed transmission will fit, but you'd face the same barriers risks with the TCM, the ABS and the ECM modules, at least.

On the other hand, if you're up for a signficant challenge, have the time and the money, I say give it a shot and do a write up on your over all plan and the results of each phase of the plan's execution.

-Jon

Last edited:

ChristianQc

In fact, for the moment I only need the Turbocharger. It seems to be the same. The set is the same price as a new turbocharger. I could always sell the engine afterwards.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
In fact, for the moment I only need the Turbocharger. It seems to be the same. The set is the same price as a new turbocharger. I could always sell the engine afterwards.
I'd check the part numbers on the turbo charger before buying it.

You can register for epc.startekinfo.com if you want to look up part numbers. Eventually, MB should have whole Sprinter part numbers on it, but for now, they only list the engine: 642993. You can see the part number of the donor engine's turbo charger and see if it's the same.... but a visual inspection and verification of your turbo vs its turbo would be the wisest course of action.

-Jon

itasca2008

Christian

Very interesting thread indeed. But please allow me one question: Why do you need a new turbo on a 2007, how many miles have you driven? I have a 2007 US version too with over 35,000 miles and all I ever did was changing oil and filters every 10,000 miles, and cleaning the EGR valve of course.

Marcel in AB
Motor Home 08NJ

ChristianQc

Christian

Very interesting thread indeed. But please allow me one question: Why do you need a new turbo on a 2007, how many miles have you driven? I have a 2007 US version too with over 35,000 miles and all I ever did was changing oil and filters every 10,000 miles, and cleaning the EGR valve of course.

Marcel in AB
Motor Home 08NJ
Last year in October, I had a big problem. The ECU had lost the reference number of the engine injectors. The engineers at Chrysler Canada in collaboration with engineers from Mercedes in Germany worked more than a month to find the problem. I was probably the first case of this kind of problem in North America. I drove with much difficulty several hundreds of kilometers with a very faulty injection. This has fouled the entire EGR system (thank you Carl for help) but also and unfortunately damaged the turbo charger. Yesterday I inspected the turbo charger with the mechanic: all the fins are damaged. No other solution than buy another Turbo. I was really unlucky with my Sprinter, but I still love it.

72chevy4x4

I noticed your van is a US van in Canada-is it not eligible for warranty work? If the damage occured within the warranty period and subsequent damage is found after the warranty has expired, is the work still considered 'warranty'?

ChristianQc

I noticed your van is a US van in Canada-is it not eligible for warranty work? If the damage occured within the warranty period and subsequent damage is found after the warranty has expired, is the work still considered 'warranty'?
The day my Sprinter has been registered in Canada I lost any warranty on parts and labor in Canada and in USA

itasca2008

Christian

Thank you for your reply. I remember the faulty injector calibration and all the hassle to get it repaired. But now I feel really sorry for you to hear about this damaged turbo as a direct consequence of that fault.:cry:

Nice to hear that you still love your Sprinter. Let's just hope that there is no other hidden damage. How and when exactly did you realize that the turbo was damaged? Just trying to find out if the injector calibration or the plugged EGR system are the reason. If my thinking is correct then a plugged EGR system results in higher exhaust gas temperatures. But why did all the monitoring sensors not find the condition and put the engine in LHM?

Marcel in AB
08NJ

Last edited:

ChristianQc

Christian

But why did all the monitoring sensors not find the condition and put the engine in LHM?

Marcel in AB
08NJ
I drove for at least two months with my Sprinter wich put the engine in LHM after the first 5 kilometers. But during those first 5 km
I felt that the turbo charger forcing poorly. The sprinter's shift speed with difficulty and after much hesitation, finally I drove peacefully in LHM.

Top Bottom