Metris Camper Conversion?

bagus

I've been thinking about a Mercedes Metris base van as a camper conversion. Anyone have experience or know of a shop that will work on a camper conversion for this model? Trying to keep the price down so can't really go with Van Specialities or the like.

Is anyone building camper conversion parts of the Metris? Thanks and apologies for so many questions.. just not much information out there.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
During the last Sprinterfest in Tualatin I talked to a fellow from the Wilsonville OR MB dealer about MB selling converted unit just like they do in EU. He said that the project is in engineering hands whatever that meant. Call them.

George.

mtbkers

GTRV and REIMO North America are working on conversions. There's also a Metris forum. Oh, and there's a German guy "terracamper" who is trying to get permission to do conversions in the States.

petem

There is an extensive thread over on the ClassBForum on this subject titled Mercedes Metris Poptop Conversions. User Keyne and some others have researched the current converters including Reimo Americas, GTRV, Recon Campers, and most recently Sportsmobile's Metris conversion. GTRV appears to have the first batch of commercially available conversions.

But be forewarned, these can be pricey units due to the intricacies of poptop roof installation and tight installation clearances within the Metris shell. Most appear to be targeting units in the $70-$80k range. Sprinter conversions can often be less expensive, but then again they won't fit in most residential garages either.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
GTRV and REIMO North America are working on conversions. There's also a Metris forum. Oh, and there's a German guy "terracamper" who is trying to get permission to do conversions in the States.
I've met with GTRV and looked at their Metris conversions. They have a nice complete kit, a lot of experience with the pop top having been building their own carbon fiber one for a while, and seem to be doing really good work. They had about 6 to 10 on site that they were building out and probably have the most experience building the most out.

We didn't talk prices on those as I am working in a Sprinter, but I think they were much less than a built our Sprinter.

Top Bottom