Wheel bolts

lindenengineering

Guys
Please don't let this happen to you!

Basically a 2006 TIN owner and family driving their motor home and trailer rig to the Denver area.
Somewhere en route in Wyoming, metal road debris flew out from under a semi and tore through the side wall of his rear tire, mounted on a factory alum wheel.

Apart for the pucker factor to keep it straight and upright and stop at about 70mph (OMG)
He got the thing to the side of the road!
OK--now fit the spare--a steel wheel!!!

Forgetting the wheel bolts are LONGER for Alum wheel he bolts up the spare--then carries on!!
Well for a few feet!

In short, (excuse the pun!) the longer wheel bolts tore up the parking brake shoes, hardware, park brake cable, ABS tone ring, axle bearing carrier and ABS sensor. A right bloody mess.

Poor fellow limped it into our shop yesterday.
I managed to get enough stuff to fix it, the local Dodge dealer had some parts, and I had I did, the rest on the shelf. (luckily)
The Dodge parts guys asked if I had tried the local Benz dealers---Big chuckle--I stated they aren't even open on a Saturday gimme a break!:laughing::thumbdown:
I should go work for them said Mitch the parts guy!

Anyway a few hours later they were motoring away "All ship shape and Bristol Fashion" but short of some holiday money. Tires for starters aren't cheap in commercial 10ply that was $420 before we got going! And he had just replaced them all round.

Anyway bon voyage and lets hope he has no more incidences going back home.
AND
Don't forget you need shorter wheel bolts with "steelies"
Dennis

harrysalit

2019 Wonder FTB
In my 2008 there is package of bolts in the jack compartment for the steel spare wheel. I assume MB supplied them.
If I need the spare I think it will be roadside service that changes it. I don't think I can get the spare out from its carrier.
Harry

lindenengineering

Guys
I have read posts of this nature before viz a viz (bcislander):thumbup:
In this case the spare was on an external swing out carrier held with nuts.

In reality its so easy to make this mistake in the panic to get a wheel on the rig especially on something like an Interstate with semis going by every few seconds (like on I/80 west eastbound). Just a few seconds of overlook/oversight and the damage is done!

For info
A few years ago in July with a clicker I counted 122 rigs going westbound in one minute near Laramie WY.

In any case the whole thing was a result of junk and debris on the highway, so easy to encounter.

A few weeks ago we were out and about up in the northern tier. Coming south on 1/25 between Casper and Cheyenne I started seeing chunks of rubber littering the road. Then a Dodge PU changing his tire--Oh that was it I thought!!---Then----
I could see a tri- axle trailer semi coming up-----The left hand inner tire flailing off the rim. Getting in front we managed to flag the Volvo FL semi tractor driving trucker down.

Going back to the rear of the rig, I pointed out the impending damage and the rear spring actuator about to be tore off. Very grateful the driver could see a possible disaster was averted. Carrying 40 tonnes of Mil ammo!:thumbup: A detachment of the spring brake actuator would have caused the brakes to go into emergency full application, with possible loss of trailer control.
Scary.
For you folks out in your Sprinters doing a road trip take care and be careful stay safe.
Dennis

sailquik

Harry,
If you devise some sort of a longer handle, or use the hydraulic jack judiciously, I'll bet you can get the spare tire down and the flat tire backup into the rack under the back of your Sprinter.
I've done it many times when rotating tires, and while it's not pleasant, it does not take as much strength as you might think.
The lever/handle can be a simple 1x2 board cut/notched so it catches the tire rack frame from the rear of your van.
If you have more leverage, the tire is pretty easy to lift.
If that does not work, the hydraulic jack, placed in the center of the rear rack bar will put your tire up where it belongs with
almost no effort beyond pumping the jack with the short (larger dia.) handle.
But, if you have some sort of roadside assistance service, why bother getting on your back under the back of the Sprinter.
That's what you pay for that coverage for, right?
Roger

Last edited:

showkey

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Had to change two tires in the last 2000 miles on the road..........both nailed by screws, one on the tire shoulder.

It's not as hard as one might think.............I had practiced in my drive several years back. The Sprinter jack works great, but the truck should be as level as possible, and I carry a 18" square pad for a jack support. The spare tire comes down and back up with little effort, the camp rug helps.

Lug nuts are at 175 ft. Lbs. the wench supplied will do the trick but a breaker bar is your friend.

Did I mention the truck needs to be absolutely level with all the wheels blocked!!!!!!!!!

Oakman

Thanks for the info. We just had wheels installed on one of our conversions and the local dealer didn't provide enough long bolts for the second van. They did supply a dozen short ones which I thought was a mistake. I was going to give them a call tomorrow to get the extra long ones I need and to return the short ones. Now I know to put the short ones with the jack and let the customer know about the difference. I guess it's true that we keep learning new things.

Bill

Boater

After an unrelated screw up with wheel bolts last year, and discovering that the alloys my van came with were not rated for the gross weight of the van I changed them back to steel all round and had to buy a complete set of bolts. At least I now have 5 identical sets of bolts so I can't make that mistake (after the previous screw up I'm carrying a spare set for 1 wheel in each vehicle now!). Fortunately I am more concerned about my vehicles working than how they look :D: but I actually think the standard steel wheels look nice!

John484

'06 140 2500 SHC
To be clear, we are talking about the bolts for ALUM wheels being longer( due to wheel's thickness) than the stamped steel wheels? So those of us with the stock steel rim, the spare rim is the exact wheel, correct?
Thanks

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
To be clear, we are talking about the bolts for ALUM wheels being longer( due to wheel's thickness) than the stamped steel wheels? So those of us with the stock steel rim, the spare rim is the exact wheel, correct?
Thanks
Correct. The spare is a full sized spare, often used as part of the rotation of the tires and is exactly the same as any of the other 4 steel, stock rims in use on the van. The tire itself may be a different brand or tread (but not size), depending on how many miles are on the van, but the steel wheels are all exactly the same, spare included.
Therefore, if you have stock steel wheels on your van, your wheel bolts will fit the spare exactly like they fit all the other wheels.
It's only when you start mixing in alloy wheels that you get wheel bolt length issues. Most people who have 4 alloys DON'T have a spare alloy for two reasons: cost and fitment under the spare tire cage. That's why they would need 2 sizes of wheel bolts. The longer size for the alloys and the shorter size for the steelies. :thumbup:

Boater

My alloys also used a bolt with 60 degree taper under the head, whilst the steel wheels use a bolt which is rounded under the head - you should check length AND fitment, although I'm sure it is the alloys that damage rather than the steel ones if you use the wrong type of bolt.
Also be aware that alloys might have spacers fitted to correct for offset, you should remove them with the wheel before fitting a steel spare.

But yes, if you have factory wheels and spare they will all be the same.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Can someone post the sizes? More than just longer/shorter would help. And the taper would be helpful. I just picked up some alloy wheels, need to get the bolts.

This just occurred to me. Nobody knows who might be changing the tire. Just knowing about this problem may not be enough.

Those who have alloy wheels and long lug bolts would be wise to include a large print warning about the bolts in with jack tools. Even better would be to cable tie a weatherproof warning to the spare tire wheel. I would thread the cable tie right through one of the lug holes. One would hope that roadside assistance would know about the difference, but it would be best not left to chance.

The spare is accessible enough that a laminated yellow or red note can be added without dropping the spare out of the holder.

:cheers: vic

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
It is important. How about posting the sizes/tapers of the various bolts. Thanks.
I currently have C&S rims with a Steel spare. I want to swap with Alloy and want to know what to look for in lug bolts.

Last edited:

derekhski

Here is a link to Europarts I bet if you call them, they may disclose the size?

http://europarts-sd.com/lugbolt-steelwheel2002-2006-1-1.asp

and as pulled from a UK based Ebay add, 05104018AA is the part number in the Parts list I have access to.

MERCEDES SPRINTER Wheel Screw 09806 Febi 05104018AA 5104018AA 6384010171 New

Brand Febi
Part Number 09806
Weight [kg] 0.11 kg
Fitting Position Rear Axle, Front Axle
Outer Thread [mm] M14x1.5mm
Thread Length [mm] 22.5mm
Length [mm] 74mm
Spanner Size 19
Bolt Head/Nut Design Male Hex
Surface Dacrometised
Quality/ Grade 10.9

OEM references

CHRYSLER 05104018AA
CHRYSLER 5104018AA
MERCEDES-BENZ 638 401 01 71

PLOUGHLIN

It is important. How about posting the sizes/tapers of the various bolts. Thanks.
I currently have C&S rims with a Steel spare. I want to swap with Alloy and want to know what to look for in lug bolts.
It is in the MB manual for my Sprinter (UK) Is it not in the US manual?

PLOUGHLIN

It is in the MB manual for my Sprinter (UK) Is it not in the US manual?

Just checked a 2011 US manual, Page 232 shows the bolt difference.

sailquik

ECU,
Did you just get the factory alloy rims with 5 lug bolts, or something else?
The longer lug bolts made specifically for the factory alloy rims may be quite different than what you
would need for aftermarket alloy wheels.
Roger

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
ECU,
Did you just get the factory alloy rims with 5 lug bolts, or something else?
The longer lug bolts made specifically for the factory alloy rims may be quite different than what you
would need for aftermarket alloy wheels.
Roger
That is why just the pictures don't quite work for me. Currently, I have aftermarkets with a steel spare. I have appropriate lugs for this setup. But I picked up some alloys and would like to know if the aftermarket lugs would work or not with the factory wheels.

Top Bottom