Moving mountains with a mustard seed - Conversion

John 3:16

We traded our 2004 Chevy Express van for a 2011 170" WB crew van in April of this year. I wanted to introduce to the forum to, what we are calling, "The Mustard Seed".

We chose the 170" WB crew van configuration because we like the ability to carry a few passengers from time to time and the longer wheel base still leaves plenty of room for customization. So far I have added the full size bed atop a storage arrangemnt that includes four 24" X 24" drawers and a large, lower, pass-through cabinet that allows me to push full sheets of plywood into the van without having to remove the bed. We also added a tall storage cabinet that is wired for 120V AC and holds the microwave, TV, DVD player, fan and coffee pot. A Yamaha 2000W inverter generator, 1500W inverter or shore power provides the juice. I decorated the walls with upolstery fabric and batting. The wood used was a combination of birch and oak plywoods with African Padauck (red) used for the rails and stiles on the cabinet doors.

I upgraded the factory radio to a Pioneer BT920XT, installed some rear speakers and a backup camera. I now have Blue Tooth, Pandora, IPod connector and satellite navigation.

We still have some more work ahead, but I wanted to post some pictures for the group and would appreciate your comments and ideas.

IMG_Van Exterior.jpg

IMG_Conversion begins.jpg

IMG_View from rear.jpg

IMG_Rear door speaker.jpg

IMG_Rear camera mount detail.jpg

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
That looks very nice John.
Would you care to share how much you have spent on materials so far?

david klair

John,

Very nice work! It looks like a lot of planning, hard work, and maybe even a touch of divine inspiration:thumbup:

You have a lot of good ideas built in already. I see one thing I would change though, and have an idea you may like. The photos show cardboard prototypes in the windows that provide a good amount of privacy and allow plenty of daylight in as well as letting me look out when needed. They can be fully closed also to keep the sun out when needed.

The folding idea works great for privacy but I have found that I never have to completely close the window cover because no one under 7' tall can see in there, and I really like the light.

I have since painted the cardboard black and you can hardly see them now.

What I am still trying to figure out is the best material that I can use for the permanent covers that will also be a good radiant barrier...and still be black, because that looks the best.

To: HAYDUKE,

The radio, backup camera and associated hardware for the installation was @ $900.00 US.
The Generator was $1000.00 US.
The Inverter was @ $200.00 US including the installation hardware incidentals.
The materials for the cabinetry/woodwork and hardware I estimate at just around $1500.00 US.
Endless hours of labor = PRICELESS

To: TREEHOUSELAB,

I keep the generator tied down right at the entrance of the sliding door. I use the cable and lock on it for security reasons. When I use the generator I lock it to the hitch outside and plug in my power cord to feed the 120V AC outlets in the van. Locking the generator to the hitch prevents it from "growing legs" during the night or when I'm away from the van.

IMG_Generator.jpg

IMG_AC power cord.jpg

Thanks!

John,

Very nice work! It looks like a lot of planning, hard work, and maybe even a touch of divine inspiration:thumbup:

You have a lot of good ideas built in already. I see one thing I would change though, and have an idea you may like. The photos show cardboard prototypes in the windows that provide a good amount of privacy and allow plenty of daylight in as well as letting me look out when needed. They can be fully closed also to keep the sun out when needed.

The folding idea works great for privacy but I have found that I never have to completely close the window cover because no one under 7' tall can see in there, and I really like the light.

What I am still trying to figure out is the best material that I can use for the permanent covers that will also be a good radiant barrier...and still be black, because that looks the best.
To: DAVID KLAIR,

I appreciate your ideas about the flexible visors for the rear windows. My crew van, and from what I understand all crew vans, do not have rear windows. For some reason they install corregated plastic covers on the inside. I chose to replace the plastic with 1/8 " oak plywood that I stained and poly'd. I thought it looked better than the plastic ones. I intend to replace the lower plastic panels on each rear door the same way.

IMG_Rear doors exterior.jpg

IMG_Rear door interior.jpg

John,

By the way, where did you get that awesome roof rack? I love it!

Thanks

david klair

By the way, where did you get that awesome roof rack? I love it!

Thanks
John,

Sorry about that window misunderstanding, I just assumed the rear windows were covered for privacy. I guess I missed the crew van memo.

I made the roof rack. In my write up I have some details about its fabrication. I would be happy to provide more info if you're interested.

John,

Sorry about that window misunderstanding, I just assumed the rear windows were covered for privacy. I guess I missed the crew van memo.

I made the roof rack. In my write up I have some details about its fabrication. I would be happy to provide more info if you're interested.
I looked up your post on the roof rack. Very nice and innovative adaptation. :clapping:

Thank you!

BillWV

Schloss auf Rädern
John,

Yes, do tell. I'm pondering the design of a roof rack and would love to hear the details.

very neat and nice pics.:thumbup:
John-

That looks freaking awesome!!!! Where have you driven it to so far?? Just curious...
The maiden voyage or shakedown tour was from South New Jersey to St. Augustine, FL. We took the Cape May ferry, Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel then traveled down the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Stops in Kitty Hawk, NC, Myrtle Beach, NC, and Savannah, GA made the trip more interesting than just going down I95. On the way back home we took the Blue Ridge mountain route and camped in Shenandoah National Park. We took plenty of time to enjoy the trip and the Sprinter performed excellently. The van rode more comfortably than expected. Average fuel economy was @ 21.5 mpg.:smirk:

wookie_73

Hi nice work with the conversion.
I was looking at you rear camera. What is you field of view like with the camera positioned by the number plate?
I want to fit a camera to my Sprinter but as yet haven’t decided on a make or fitment position.

Cheers Dave

Hi nice work with the conversion.
I was looking at you rear camera. What is you field of view like with the camera positioned by the number plate?
I want to fit a camera to my Sprinter but as yet haven’t decided on a make or fitment position.

Cheers Dave
I had the same concern when I was installing it. It really isn't that far off center when you consider that I mounted it to the far right side (facing the license plate) of the trim that overhangs the license plate. The field of view is fine. I can even see the step that I put on the hitch when I'm backing up.

I see the speakers, but where are the speaker wires? Did you fish them through the exising loom? If so, how difficult was it?
Yes, I fished it through the existing loom. The trick is to peel the rubber from the flexible conduit from the hard plastic attachment grommet. Then you will have to carefully remove the plastic grommet from the opening (this is the hardest part) and re-assemble it to the flexible rubber conduit. Once you have everything opened up, it is easy to fish the wires through. Putting the flexible conduit back into the door and body is easy. You just push the ends in until they "snap". Do not try to fish the wires through while the flexible conduit is in place. You'll just spend a lot of time becoming frustrated. Just take extra care when removing the plastic grommets as they are brittle and can chip or break. I actual fabricated a bent piece of metal to help me release the tabs that hold the plastic grommet in place. Hope this helps, good luck.

Top Bottom